DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Wonder if 90's HBK ever racks up a wellness violation (if they had that back in the 90's).  Vince seemed to love him and he drew, so I'd guess not.  I assume every time HBK pee'd in a cup and set off an alarm, poor Kalisto would have 60 days added to his suspension.

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

There are some times where I can't believe they would see HBK come to the arena and actually let him on tv.

IYH: It's Time

Shawn does guest commentary during the Bret/Sid match, and it's an all-time "no condition to perform" performance. I'm not sure how Vince held it together out there. You'd think someone in back would've thought "Hmm, Shawn's obviously fucked up on like 10 different kinds of pills, maybe we shouldn't give him a live mic for 15 minutes."

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

There are some times where I can't believe they would see HBK come to the arena and actually let him on tv.

The funny thing is that episode that cwoy brought up, they just KEPT bringing him on over and over.  That's literally the most F'd up I've ever seen HBK, and he got at least four segments to cut promos if not more.

9 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

IYH: It's Time

Shawn does guest commentary during the Bret/Sid match, and it's an all-time "no condition to perform" performance. I'm not sure how Vince held it together out there. You'd think someone in back would've thought "Hmm, Shawn's obviously fucked up on like 10 different kinds of pills, maybe we shouldn't give him a live mic for 15 minutes."

I was thinking of that one too. He's completely bombed out of his mind. Just rambling on and on incoherently and adding nothing to the broadcast. Like a mash-up of JBL and Byron Saxton.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2016 at 8:22 AM, The Natural said:

THIS. Fucking sucks to this day. Fuck Hulk Hogan.

What was worse is that Hogan got the belt back on the Nitro after Spring Stampede (Savage's first of two one day title reigns and losses to Hogan), while Sting was part of the NWO Wolfpac. Hogan should have been taken off TV for a while after the clean loss to Sting before returning as Hulk Hogan again, similar to Slaughter losing at Summerslam 1991 and a few months later "wanting his country back".

• Like 1

On 6/21/2016 at 1:20 AM, kewf1988 said:

What was worse is that Hogan got the belt back on the Nitro after Spring Stampede (Savage's first of two one day title reigns and losses to Hogan), while Sting was part of the NWO Wolfpac. Hogan should have been taken off TV for a while after the clean loss to Sting before returning as Hulk Hogan again, similar to Slaughter losing at Summerslam 1991 and a few months later "wanting his country back".

fuck Hulk Hogan forever for (at least as far as i'm concerned) forcing Macho Man to hand over the title not once, but TWICE a single day after winning it.

• Like 1

I guess that I just forgot about it until seeing it again today, but Vader/Owen Hart on One Night Only is a fucking fantastic match. Owen showing that babyface fire was fantastic - he got the crowd fully behind him at the end, and Vader slipped into his typical monster heel role perfectly. 

On 6/28/2016 at 2:00 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

I guess that I just forgot about it until seeing it again today, but Vader/Owen Hart on One Night Only is a fucking fantastic match. Owen showing that babyface fire was fantastic - he got the crowd fully behind him at the end, and Vader slipped into his typical monster heel role perfectly. 

That was a pretty decent ppv overall. Got two great matches in Bulldog/HBK and Bret/Taker (even though the finish sucked). There's also a good HHH/Dude Love match.

• Like 1

Watching the HBK/'Taker Cell match in context, it well might be the best match in the history of the company. It's a great spectacle on its own merits, and all the big spots still hold up. It's creative, especially in how they originally get out of the cell. It's also got an amazing narrative flow - Undertaker finally using the chair on Michaels after the original chairshot that lost him the title two months ago and all those chair attacks from Michaels since is a perfect full circle moment. To have Paul Bearer pop up and bring back that narrative thread with Kane just as 'Taker is about to get a victory in the most karmically-satisfying way is so good - the first time I saw it, I sort of forgot about the side-deal with Kane since it had been a couple of months and the focus had been on 'Taker vs. Bret and HBK. 

I know that praise gets heaped on this match and '97 WWF in general, but this company was so good at weaving multiple storylines and conflicts together and then paying each of them off in ways that are both satisfying AND that create new and interesting narrative threads. If there were a Form of the Good for wrestling matches, I think HBK/'Taker in the Cell might be it. That or Tully/Magnum I Quit. 

(The other match that I think would maybe be GOAT for the company is the Warrior/Savage retirement match, another match which pays off a lot of different stuff at once, but it's not nearly as good in-ring as HBK/'Taker. It might be the perfect example of "sports entertainment" as Vince McMahon envisions it, however.)

• Like 2

The original Hell in a Cell also works really well balancing two tweeners right at the beginning of the shades of grey business they were getting into creatively. Undertaker was wronged and fucked over by Shawn repeatedly, but he is terrifying in that match...maybe as close to a horror movie monster as he ever came in ring. 

Shawn is a dickhead and deserves to get destroyed, but he's admirably not backing down and finding every opening he can to take it to Taker. Once he realizes it's too much and tries to get out, it's too late and Taker's not only going to make him pay for everything DX has done to him, he's going to take out all of his frustration and anger from Bearer's taunts on him as well. Kane arriving and costing Taker the match was a perfect transition out of the Shawn feud and setup for the Mania match.

Shawn, decimated, bloodied, and barely conscious, being carried away by Hunter and Chyna (going through the motions of celebrating a win but clearly horrified because Shawn looks like he's been a car wreck) is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. 

• Like 1

The original Hell in a Cell also works really well balancing two tweeners right at the beginning of the shades of grey business they were getting into creatively. Undertaker was wronged and fucked over by Shawn repeatedly, but he is terrifying in that match...maybe as close to a horror movie monster as he ever came in ring. 

Taker is basically The Terminator in this match. He's not stopping until he's murdered the shit out of every Sarah Conner in the phone book...and Shawn Michaels' name on that night is Sarah Conner. And now that I think about it, HBK actually was like Sarah Conner on that night. Starts off running away from the monster, sees that it's futile and then starts to make a comeback.

Contentious statement: Watts pushed Williams and Gordy so hard it actually backfired.  The crowd wasn't impressed that they dominated everyone they were in the ring with, and they were boring as hell in WCW. 

I say this loving the MVC in AJPW.

• Like 4

On 7/1/2016 at 5:06 AM, cwoy2j said:

Taker is basically The Terminator in this match. He's not stopping until he's murdered the shit out of every Sarah Conner in the phone book...and Shawn Michaels' name on that night is Sarah Conner. And now that I think about it, HBK actually was like Sarah Conner on that night. Starts off running away from the monster, sees that it's futile and then starts to make a comeback.

To this day I don't know if it's stll my favorite match of all time, but it's on the medal stand at least. 

On 7/2/2016 at 1:20 PM, Josh Mann said:

To this day I don't know if it's stll my favorite match of all time, but it's on the medal stand at least. 

If you put a gun to my head and told me to name my top 3 matches, I'd probably go Tully/Magnum, Austin/Bret submission match, HBK/Taker HIAC. Depending on what day you asked me, I might swap out Tully/Magnum for Flair/Steamboat at Wrestle War.

• Like 1

I was watching ECW recently and the music is just hard to get past.  I feel a need to get the original show with the original music.  If there's decent deals on the DVDs I can see getting that.  Last I checked RF video was selling some but I'd rather not buy from there.

• Like 2