DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Thoughts on SummerSlam 96

I was there at Gund Arena in Cleveland. It was the first pay-per-view at the Cleveland Cavaliers' arena, which is now Quicken Loans Arena.

Austin 3:16 was two months earlier, but here was Stone Cold in the Free-For-All match, beating Yokozuna.

Owen Hart beat Savio Vega in a very good opener. I had forgotten all about this match. Between this bout and the Austin feud, Savio Vega was a lot better than I had remembered.

The four-way tag match was a mess. Skip showed up wearing a neck brace, which was ridiculous for someone who was supposed be competing. After the Smoking Gunns won, we were treated to Sunny unveiling a giant photo of herself. Sunny showed up later with Faarooq, making the Gunns and everyone else in this match even more irrelevant.

Clarence Mason was great at trying to steal Jim Cornette's talent while Cornette was preoccupied with preparing Vader for the main event. This foreshadowed Mason becoming a manager.

Poor Marc Mero lost yet again on pay-per-view. He even debuted his "Wild Thing" shooting star press, but it wasn't enough to beat Goldust. Sable began to really outshine Mero at this point, as Goldust was obsessed with her (Marlena even approved), and Mankind took time off from preparing for the Boiler Room Brawl to visit Sable and call her his "mommy."

Lawler finally got a "real" win on pay-per-view by beating Jake Roberts. As a huge Browns fan, Lawler must have felt weird putting on a Ravens jersey, heeling on the Browns fans and praising Art Modell. Of course, this was during the three-year period where the Browns didn't exist, as we had to wait until 1999 to get a new team.

Vader should have won the WWF title from Shawn Michaels. The WWF had built Vader perfectly as a monster, and there would have been no shame in losing to him. Vader could have been a dominant champion for the rest of the year until Shawn won the title back at Royal Rumble. Then they could have done the same thing with Sid, although Shawn would have surely lost his smile by that time.

The Boiler Room brawl was a lot better to watch at home on the network with my daughter 20 years later than it was live. It was a great match, but we were watching it on the basketball scoreboard screens, which were not very big. Two of my best friends in wrestling, "Handsome" Frank Stalletto and "Beef Stew" Lou Marconi, served as druids.

Paul Bearer gets the MVP award. My dad and brother were with me, 11 years after Dad had taken us to our first show at the Richfield Coliseum with Hogan vs. Savage on top. Dad didn't care much about wrestling, but when Paul Bearer turned on Undertaker, Dad was fit to be tied. He was absolutely outraged that Bearer would stab the Undertaker in the back. Twenty years later, my daughter's reaction: "That was quite the plot twist!"

• Like 1

The newest Collection of John Cena contains two matches from his OVW days and one match against CW Anderson in UPW California.  I figure the OVW one was from one of his DVD but that has to be the first time anything from UPW (assuming it was a WWE developmental at the time) has seen the light of day.   

I know it is extremely niche product but would love to see as much developmental stuff on there.  Especially OVW from 2000-2005

Seth Rollins WWE 24/7 was pretty great but why the hell do they try bringing him back as the same heel character after that?

Fired up mega face Seth Rollins fighting to get his title back is so the way to go.

• Like 1

Late to the party but how the hell is Seth Rollins not the biggest face in the company after that documentary?

His moodiness and not wanting to be at Wrestlemania is really plain to see and its sad to see him sitting in the stands watching it all unfold.

I have to imagine there's some backstage drama and re-writes going on with Seth. This documentary (and how much it gets promoted on air) and Seth going out and performing "Heel Cliches 101" every week just doesn't feel like the same person making both decisions.

9 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I have to imagine there's some backstage drama and re-writes going on with Seth. This documentary (and how much it gets promoted on air) and Seth going out and performing "Heel Cliches 101" every week just doesn't feel like the same person making both decisions.

I imagine this is what it looks like backstage between Vince and HHH.

23 hours ago, peterien said:

Late to the party but how the hell is Seth Rollins not the biggest face in the company after that documentary?

His moodiness and not wanting to be at Wrestlemania is really plain to see and its sad to see him sitting in the stands watching it all unfold.

Boo fucking hoo.

Getting injured sucks and I wish it on no one, especially those who are super mobile/athletic for a living.  But Rollins has been given a lot, as has Reigns.  Both seem to be working hard for it, far be it from me to begrudge either of them, even if others do.

But Rollins isn't the first guy to have a dream deferred in WWE, and won't be the last.  As strange as it sounds, being postponed due to injury is the easiest mechanism to handle if you're high on the card already and Vince and/or HHH likes you.  You're 99% certain to get your spot back in some measure.  Rollins will be fine and have plenty of chances afforded to him.

Besides, with the Rollins vs The Authority angle still in play, they can easily do a face turn on TV for full impact.

Since I usually suspend my Hulu Plus subscription for the summer I picked up one of the 3 month Network cards at Gamestop. According to the cashier they've been really popular lately so he asked me if there was a big event happening which showing my lack of WWE current event knowledge I told him I didn't know. I chalked up my personal interest to him with, "Everything is in reruns."

Okay I have no idea if this is supposed to go here or the sub-forum so anyway

It looks like they have added some more AWA shows on the Network.  They added Super Sunday 1983, SuperClash 3,  and Wrestlerock 86.  All were shown on 24/7 so not too surprising they showed up.  It seems like they took some of the TV shows off but not sure. I don't think we can get too excited about other full shows

On 6/2/2016 at 4:20 PM, peterien said:

Because that doc wasn't shown on RAW. If they showed even clips from it on RAW, it'd be part of a face turn. It's an independent piece that exists outside of  the established universe of the TV Show, even if they promote it on the show.  Shit, Rollins promo was him shitting on the fans, "smart" included, who did nothing but complain about him being "the weakest champ ever." That was the bone thrown at you, internet. But this idea that one cant watch that doc that shows the real guy in a positive light and therefore one can't accept him as a bad guy on TV is fucking dumb. 

Boy was AWA Superstars 2-28-88 a weird show. You've got a show that starts with Larry Nelson explaining his "Little" nickname, then going on about the benefits of orthopedic chairs. This was also a show with nothing but title matches and ZERO clean finishes. Brian fucking Knobbs didn't even job to Greg Gagne, while Hennig cheated to win Kevin Kelly, and the outstanding main event got a non-finish. Absolutely perfect match though for what it needed to be, largely due to Orton being the glue for everything.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/06/awa-superstars-2-28-88.html

Screens -

199abd487741534.jpg

559fa4487741299.jpg

Five Star Neckbreaker

eda547487741214.jpg

Five Star Nardbreaker

9ffcf0487741226.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/wiosbewe96o1hyzaf0lbsyixyqusxsvt