DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I really love Matt Bourne and dig evil Doink, so I also like Doink/Crush.

That and Headshrinkers/Steiners are probably the best two matches on the undercard.

Show would have been so much better if Savage wrestled Bret in the main event and Hogan wrestled Yoko instead, though. It also needed a better use of Razor.

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So far, I've only gotten past Steiners/Headshrinkers, which was awesome except for the botched finish.  It was funny to hear Monsoon announce there'd be no reply and throw it right to the back.  I'm pretty sure it was a WCW match, as you said.  They must have crossed paths in 89/90, right?

I thought Michaels/Tatanka was slow and dull but I'll keep an open mind for Luger/Perfect. 

The only thing I can think of is their match at Starrcade but I'm sure they fought on some TV. The Steiners/SST would have torn some stuff up if given a high profile feud say over the World Tags between 89/90 before the Doom program.

Luger/Perfect probably sucks in hindsight, but I think I'm the only one who likes the Narcissist deal (and Luger in general) so I'm bias.

See, I thought Starrcade (Future Shock), too.  Then I looked it up and saw that Samoan Savage subbed for Fatu that night for reasons undisclosed.  I'm still positive they had to have had a program somewhere tin there, though.  If I get bored, I'll check some house show results.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I really love Matt Bourne and dig evil Doink, so I also like Doink/Crush.

That and Headshrinkers/Steiners are probably the best two matches on the undercard.

Show would have been so much better if Savage wrestled Bret in the main event and Hogan wrestled Yoko instead, though. It also needed a better use of Razor.

Holy hell, how could I forget Doink/Crush. That was fun and Mach was really invested in the match as he was like Crush's mentor or whatever. I could have gone for a Macho/Doink at SS '93 instead of that horrible Bret/Lawler match.

Thoughts on In Your House 7 (Good Friends, Better Enemies)

Clarence Mason made an early bid for the MVP award with his injunction to ban Jake Roberts' snake. Little did he know that Jake had the power to grab Our Man Johnson from the back and magically turn the bout into a tag team match. Owen & Bulldog beat Jake & Ahmed in a reduced version of their Wrestlemania six-man.

Diana Smith appeared on screen for about two seconds, which also happened at WrestleMania. I guess we had to remember who she was before she leveled her shocking accusations against Shawn Michaels.

Goldust must have had a serious knee injury to have such a non-match with Ultimate Warrior. Poor Mantaur didn't even get a name as Goldust's one-time bodyguard whose sole purpose was to get beaten up by Warrior. At least they could have dressed up him up in a giant version of the "Goldust's usher" outfit.

Razor Ramon gets the MVP award for his strong effort against Vader. Since Razor was on the way out of the company, he very easily could have mailed it in, and this would have been a one-match show. Instead, he made Vader look great in a competitive match.

Mad Dog Vachon looked so happy to be at the show, especially knowing that his leg was going to be involved in the main event.

Shawn Michaels was not happy with referee Earl Hebner shoehorning his way into his victory celebration at WrestleMania. So after beating Diesel, Shawn just threw Hebner out of the ring.

12/28/85 World Championship Wrestling's second hour is mostly taken up by awesome back-to-back match ups of Magnum TA vs Ole Anderson and Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin. It may be one of the most manlinest hours of wrestling programming on the entire Network.

And David Crockett indignantly shouting "WHAAAT!" when Tony tells him they have to go to commercial during the Flair/Garvin match is an 80 billion times greater way to cut to break than Michael Cole nonchalantly saying "AJ Styles is in charge...Monday Night Raw will continue." 

• Like 1

I missed so much weird stuff from 1997 Raw the first time it aired:

The 4th member of the Truth Commission, Tank (Mantaur under a mask).

Jim Cornette managing the Headhunters for one week (aborted feud with the Headbangers).

Uncle Cletus Godwin (Tony Anthony).

The Patriot's brief main event run is probably the strangest of all.

On 3/25/2016 at 3:44 PM, Irving said:

Holy hell, how could I forget Doink/Crush. That was fun and Mach was really invested in the match as he was like Crush's mentor or whatever. I could have gone for a Macho/Doink at SS '93 instead of that horrible Bret/Lawler match.

I'm going to need to ask you to show your work on that last statement. 

The beauty of that match is it was every piece of cheap ass rasslin heel gaga in one 30 minute block, most of which hadn't been seen by most WWF fans at that point unless they were in the Memphis TV loop. 

That match is pro wrestling, prowrestling-ing. And the volume is at 11.

On March 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Gorman said:

Goldust must have had a serious knee injury to have such a non-match with Ultimate Warrior. Poor Mantaur didn't even get a name as Goldust's one-time bodyguard whose sole purpose was to get beaten up by Warrior. At least they could have dressed up him up in a giant version of the "Goldust's usher" outfit.

If I remember correctly; there was a backstage segment on the Free For All, where Warrior was chasing Goldust and he legit slipped on camera (sort of like that hardcore match Viscera was in, when he tumbled at the concessions) and it seemed quite obvious he was injured.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2016 at 8:48 PM, Josh Mann said:

I'm going to need to ask you to show your work on that last statement. 

The beauty of that match is it was every piece of cheap ass rasslin heel gaga in one 30 minute block, most of which hadn't been seen by most WWF fans at that point unless they were in the Memphis TV loop. 

That match is pro wrestling, prowrestling-ing. And the volume is at 11.

As a young lad renting Coliseum Videos I felt the matched droned on and on. I guess that is a match I need to revisit because I just remember hating it or fast forwarding through. 

Guys best of luck getting through the 24 special without crying. So many great moments. The bits with Michael Cole and Cody got me big time.

We will never see anything like the Daniel Bryan era again. Just privileged that i got to see his run from ROH to WM30. 

• Like 1

Are there any Vader WCW matches on the Network between his 1990 Great American Bash debut and when he joined the company full-time in 1992? I'm having trouble finding what, if any, PPV or TV matches he might have worked in between.