DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Been watching a lot of 1987 JCP and I'm wondering how Sean Royal from The New Breed didn't become a star. He was a really good promo, had a great look and could work. I know that Chris Champion's injury derailed The New Breed but Royal was pretty clearly the star of the team.

Been watching a lot of 1987 JCP and I'm wondering how Sean Royal from The New Breed didn't become a star. He was a really good promo, had a great look and could work. I know that Chris Champion's injury derailed The New Breed but Royal was pretty clearly the star of the team.

In an effort to learn more about Sean Royal, I read his wiki. Apparently in 2002, (same year the New Breed traveled back from), another Sean Royal turned up. They were both active for a time, and the older was being credited for championships the younger one had won. I really hope all of that is just time travel continuinty stuff.

• Like 1

Honestly, I know the Nexus thing was hot, but Barrett never struck me as a guy close to being World Champion material.

Good promo, solidish in-ring, but I never saw this main event potential other people apparently did.

Being made of glass obviously didn't help, either.

Barrett always struck me as a guy who would have worked a lot better in WCW than WWF.  You could tell by some of his moves that he was a big fan of DDP as well, and it wasn't just his catchphrases he used in BNB gimmick, you could see it in some of his ringwork as well.   Bull Hammer would have been mega over in WCW as well.

The three WWE guys of the post-merger era who I thought would have been so much better in WCW were Barrett, Angle, and Shane Helms, who I thought was going to be a future world champ when he was in WCW.

Does the network work on Linux?  I got my media pc up and running the other week which runs Ubuntu 14.04 but I've not tried loading the network on it until now.  The introductory message loads on chrome in both regular and incognito, but then just spins.  Firefox gives a "media unavailable" message.  Most googling brings up older information which seems to suggest flash player being out of date or not supported in linux being the reason for the compatibility issues.  Have any of you gotten it to work on linux?

Digging up this old post to say I finally found a solution. Instructions are here, but basically you just install and run the Windows Firefox with Wine.

• Like 1

WM 30 is streaming. This might be my third- or fourth-favorite Mania.

Thinking about Cena/Wyatt, the issue was less Wyatt losing and more that Cena did not have to become a monster to do it. The "He who fights monsters" narrative was a good idea except that Cena never came close to corruption at all. Poor execution.

Cena could have won the series 2-1, but book it so that he gives in and does terrible stuff to win the first match. Bray claims victory since he got Cena to show his true colors. Cena goes out of his way not to succumb to violence in the second match and loses. The narrative of the third match is whether or not Cena can stay true to his credo and beat Bray, or if he can only win by rejecting Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect.

They have these good narrative beats, but they fuck them up right off the bat.

On yet another watch, HHH wrestled the match of his career that night.

• Like 4

The Cena becoming a monster to win deal would have been a great idea had they even remotely built the feud up that way. Otherwise it was an incredibly random ass change that completely fucked up that match as they hadn't built up that story at all during the build to Wrestlemania.

I have a hard time remembering the build, but there were strains of that narrative in the video package that they played before the match. I thought that they were the most interesting elements of that package.

The very best part about NXT is how the wins are almost all for a purpose. I'm weeks behind and slowly binging. I wasn't entirely sure why they were giving Emma and the Vaudevillians wins and making them look so strong since I knew they weren't really in the title picture. Now I'm 1-2 weeks before takeover and it's obvious that it was to give a last bit of shine to America Alpha and Asuka. This isn't the first time they've done that either. They do it before almost every big show.

Count me as the lone majority that likes WM 9. Albeit 1993 is one of my favorite WWF periods as a lot as I liked more than one match. HBK/Tatanka, Steiners/Headshrinkers (which felt like a WCW match with JR calling it), Perfect/Luger. I mean, the big matches are duds but I thought the undercard was pretty decent. 

So far, I've only gotten past Steiners/Headshrinkers, which was awesome except for the botched finish.  It was funny to hear Monsoon announce there'd be no reply and throw it right to the back.  I'm pretty sure it was a WCW match, as you said.  They must have crossed paths in 89/90, right?

I thought Michaels/Tatanka was slow and dull but I'll keep an open mind for Luger/Perfect.