DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Dude that Bret match is so good. Possibly Waltman's best match, if I'm being honest. I just re-watched it like this time last year or maybe a little longer before that, when I was starting Raw from the beginning on the Network, and I was surprised how well it held up, I really enjoyed revisiting it.

I'm pretty psyched for the '98 Nitros but as is tradition, I have to nitpick: it would be nice if they threw up the accompanying Thunders. Just January to August, like around the time of the Bret/Luger US title match.

• Like 1

God fuck Thunder. They didn't give a shit about Thunder from day one and it just got worse from there. Watching all the Thunders will drive you to drink. 

Source: Watching all the Nitro/Thunders for 1998-2001 turned me into an alcoholic who hates wrestling and life.

• Like 1

Either the Bret match or the one match where Triple H destroyed Pac's surgically destroyed neck the entire heat segment would be my view for best Waltman match, but I'd have to rewatch both to decide.

• Like 1

God fuck Thunder. They didn't give a shit about Thunder from day one and it just got worse from there. Watching all the Thunders will drive you to drink. 

Source: Watching all the Nitro/Thunders for 1998-2001 turned me into an alcoholic who hates wrestling and life.

Thunder certainly drove Kevin Nash to drink.

"Old Glory Samoan Drop!"

"You never see Meng and Barry White at the same time. You ever notice that?"

"How's Meng gonna lose after they gave him a sweet video package like that?"

• Like 1

Dude that Bret match is so good. Possibly Waltman's best match, if I'm being honest. I just re-watched it like this time last year or maybe a little longer before that, when I was starting Raw from the beginning on the Network, and I was surprised how well it held up, I really enjoyed revisiting it.

At the beginning of the match, 1-2-3 Kid gets a quick arm-drag over on Bret.  Before Bret gets up, Bret makes a quick but very visible head shrug that shows he was surprised The Kid got one over on him.  Set the tone for the match: don't underestimate this guy.  Nice moment.

Either the Bret match or the one match where Triple H destroyed Pac's surgically destroyed neck the entire heat segment would be my view for best Waltman match, but I'd have to rewatch both to decide.

I completely forgot about that match. I haven't seen it since it aired, but I would most likely have a much better appreciation of it now-- I wasn't paying attention to things like that back then, I was way too young. Google tells me it was Backlash 1999, so I'll check that out tonight after dinner. Thanks for the heads up on that

My personal creed is that I fear no beer, nor B-show, so that works out for me. There are probably so many sweet Meng or Chip Minton matches on there. Plus the look of the show was a real cool feel, and I'm a huge sucker for good atmospheres and things like the entrance set, the dark lighting with the strobes. I'm almost positive the show was pretty decent at least through the summer of 1998, but I might be looking at it through rose colored lenses. And there were a couple major angles: the title being vacated before the Sting/Hogan re-match, JJ Dillon making the Hogan/Goldberg match, the NWO Wolfpac debuting the red & black logo and the new music, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'm pretty psyched for the '98 Nitros but as is tradition, I have to nitpick: it would be nice if they threw up the accompanying Thunders. Just January to August, like around the time of the Bret/Luger US title match.

I'd like for them to go to October b/c there was a really good Goldberg/Raven match right before Halloween Havoc 98.

Rock vs X-Pac Capital Carnage 1998. Genuine joy of a match.

Watching ECW Hardcore TV 58 5/24/94 and they are showing montages of various guys killing people.  For whatever reason WWE decided the best music to represent Terry Funk's part was playing Weather Channel elevator tunes.  And I laughed my fucking ass off as Terry Funk tried to murder Paul Heyman with a plastic bag while a chipper happy tune played in the background.  A Clockwork Orange without the irony.

• Like 1

I had some weird things going on last night while trying to get to the feed to watch the Rumble. Whenever I would try to watch the live feed of the pre-show, it would load and start showing last week's NXT from the ending of the Vaudvillian's video package. I would try to reload, and it would go right to that same point in the NXT show. I could bring up the Spanish feed fine, but the live feed would not. When I eventually got the live feed of the Rumble up, it was in poor quality, so I tried reloading again, but it was now back to the Vaudvillian's on NXT. I eventually got the Rumble feed up for a few minutes, but then my 1 year old got ahold of the Roku remote and brought up Netflix. When I went back to the Network and the Rumble...hey, there are those Vaudvillian's again. I had to bring up the Spanish feed, then go back to the menu, then bring up the live feed again for it to work. Once I finally got it back up again, I put the remote up high where it couldn't be touched again until the end of the show.

Anyone watch the newest WWE 24? I love how the Divas tag was all about Paige and the lengths they went to to make it look like AJ Lee's face wasn't shown.

It was actually pretty decent, though. I liked seeing the guys backstage watching the matches. Cena saying "sometime's you just have to throw the rules out the window" when it came to the HHH vs Sting match was a different way of looking at that match.

Anyone watch the newest WWE 24? I love how the Divas tag was all about Paige and the lengths they went to to make it look like AJ Lee's face wasn't shown.

It was actually pretty decent, though. I liked seeing the guys backstage watching the matches. Cena saying "sometime's you just have to throw the rules out the window" when it came to the HHH vs Sting match was a different way of looking at that match.

Best part for me and I'll put it in tags for people that haven't seen it is

Brock and Taker backstage

AJ's face was shown. A few times. But it is a kind of disingenuous to say they were avoiding AJ when I don't think they even mentioned the Bellas once.

Exactly. They weren't telling a story about AJ or the Bellas in this piece. The story was Paige's first WrestleMania.