DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I learned from watching the Kevin Owens Unfiltered show that apparently there is such a thing as a Canadian who doesn't like beer and hockey. I mean the concept of a straightedge Canadian is fine but don't like hockey as well. Or any sports it seems

I would have never guessed that a guy that looks like Kevin Steen doesn't like beer and hockey. He looks like a guy that lives for beer and hockey.

• Like 1

Thoughts on SummerSlam 95

I was in Pittsburgh for this show, and I really liked it even though the show doesn't get much love. I loved Hakushi vs. 1-2-3 Kid, Skip vs. Horowitz, and of course, the ladder match. 

However, watching it again, I liked it even better because the Undertaker-Kama casket match and the Bret-Yankem match were much better than I remembered them. Both matches went 16 minutes, and I'm giving credit to Undertaker and Bret by letting them share the MVP award.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley had a "HHH" crest logo projected into the ring long before he was known by those initials.

I remember staring at the arena ceiling in disbelief when Horowitz won again. I thought for sure that Skip would get his win back. Vince mentioned casually on commentary that Horowitz would earn a full-time contract if he won. I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger plot point. 

The ladder match was much more brutal than the first, even though Razor and Shawn were babyfaces.

The WWF gave the spotlight to several new stars by keeping Bulldog, Bundy, Sid, Tatanka, Owen and Yokozuna on the bench for one of the biggest shows of the year.

Lex Luger did a weird run-in during the main event. Diesel attacked Luger, thinking Luger was about to pull a Bulldog and attack him. Luger didn't retaliate against Diesel but instead started beating on Sir Mo to prove he was a good guy. This was supposed to start a feud between Luger and King Mabel, but that went out the window when Luger showed up on Nitro.

The only thing that disappointed me about the Table for 3 is that you would think a show involving Ryback eating a meal would be awesome because he would have like a couple steaks and enough potatoes and side to choke a horse.  Nope only a salad.  Although apparently Ryback goes to Subway and just orders everything BUT the bread  :lol:

I don't care if it's true or not, the story about Ryback trying to impress Brock slayed me.  Table for 3 was hilarious.  And Bryan can't help but be goofy with the Kumbaya hand holding bit, bless him.

I was watching the 2007 Royal Rumble and it's kind of surreal to see RVD, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman in the same ring as guys like Booker T, Kane, Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit. I didn't think anything of it at the time but now it's weird that those ECW mainstays were interacting with 4 of the staples of the WCW/WWF Monday Night Wars. Also, I'm disappointed that Flair got eliminated before Sabu or Sandman got into the ring. I never knew how much I wanted a Flair/Sandman brawl until I watched that Rumble.

It's pretty funny to watch a Russo era WCW ppv on the Network and see how close together the match markers are and how many of them there are. I'd love for someone to figure out the average number and length of matches under Russo.

Thoughts on In Your House 3

I loved the idea of the Tripleheader match with the WWF, IC and tag belts all on the line. However, the WWF decided to jump through a million hoops to allow Diesel and Shawn to win the belts but get stripped of them the next night on Raw, because Owen wasn't the official tag team champion during the match.

They never really explained why Owen was late for the match. It would seem like serious transportation problems or a car accident would be the only things that would keep Owen from a chance at the WWF title that he had craved since his feud with Bret.

Waylon Mercy's loss to Savio Vega was surprising. He had a great character and was so big that you'd think he would be fast-tracked into a WWF title shot against Diesel.

Bob Backlund introduced Dean Douglas, but that pairing didn't stay together. Douglas then introduced his opponent, Razor Ramon. I'm surprised that no heel has adopted the "introduce and insult your opponent" gimmick.

Jean-Pierre Lafitte did a great job keeping up with Bret Hart, as those two had a very fun match. Lafitte showed up wearing Bret's jacket, which probably would have drawn more heat if they had saved it for the next month's In Your House in Winnipeg.

I love how well Davey Boy Smith transitioned to being a heel with his mat-based attack on Bigelow. Then he came back later in the night for the main event and could have beaten Diesel with the powerslam if Shawn hadn't made the save. Add his waving the Japanese flag to get heel heat, and there is your MVP of the show. 

Waylon Mercy's loss to Savio Vega was surprising. He had a great character and was so big that you'd think he would be fast-tracked into a WWF title shot against Diesel.

IIRC, Spivey had some really bad back issues at the time so he needed to retire pretty quickly. It made sense for him to put over someone on his way out.

• Like 1

I could have watched them bullshit for three hours.  Crazy that you can just throw on the network and dudes are talking CZW.

To be fair they didn't really talk about CZW but more putting over the guy at show who would always bring cookies to the event

Those were some good cookies too