DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watched that Swerved show and honestly liked it.  The poo microphone I could do without, but the best part was the kitchen prank.  It's hard to see something bad that Renee's a part of.  Surprised nobody picked up on something going on by the "show" title of "From spooning to forking"  Xavier was awesome in this.  With the right pranks and people involved this could be quite fun.

• Like 1

Watched that Swerved show and honestly liked it.  The poo microphone I could do without, but the best part was the kitchen prank.  It's hard to see something bad that Renee's a part of.  Surprised nobody picked up on something going on by the "show" title of "From spooning to forking"  Xavier was awesome in this.  With the right pranks and people involved this could be quite fun.

Liked it a lot as well and thought it was real fun. Dolph's shock bit was my favorite, great reactions from the victims.

Randomly watching GAB 1988. I don't want to advocate anyone using steroids buuuuuuut, skinny Nikita Koloff with hair just isn't as impressive as jacked up bald Nikita Koloff screaming in broken English.

HBK is such a dick in that Summerslam match with Vader. We all know about his tantrum over the elbow spot but he really laid into Vader and Cornette with some stiff tennis racket shots. He basically hit Vader in the face with a shot from the racket and hit Cornette on the back with full speed shot with no regard for Cornette.

It's always occurred to me that, with WCW still an option for top guys, it's a miracle someone didn't just destroy Shawn backstage and walk. The guy, by all accounts, was an insufferable prick.

It's always occurred to me that, with WCW still an option for top guys, it's a miracle someone didn't just destroy Shawn backstage and walk. The guy, by all accounts, was an insufferable prick.

By his own accounts, he was an insufferable prick. Nash, Hall, Waltman and HHH having his back certainly saved him from at least a couple beatings.

By his own accounts, he was an insufferable prick. Nash, Hall, Waltman and HHH having his back certainly saved him from at least a couple beatings.

But out of that group the only one you would worry about is Hall and that's IF he was somewhat sober. Also from mid-1996 to 1998, all that was left was HBK and HHH. The thing that favors HBK was the fact that of the guys who could've beaten up Shawn were guys that had low spots (Bradshaw, Bob Holly, Bart Gunn) or did not want to go back to WCW (Vader, Faarooq).

But out of that group the only one you would worry about is Hall and that's IF he was somewhat sober. Also from mid-1996 to 1998, all that was left was HBK and HHH. The thing that favors HBK was the fact that of the guys who could've beaten up Shawn were guys that had low spots (Bradshaw, Bob Holly, Bart Gunn) or did not want to go back to WCW (Vader, Faarooq).

Im pretty sure Nash could handle himself in a physical confrontation, size alone would get most people to step back. I think his position absolutely saved him as well, like you said, those guys would have been out the door if they tried anything. From all accounts, he calmed down quite a bit after Hall and Nash left, and HHH basically babysat him to keep him out of trouble.

The main thing I took away from Swerved was Seth pissed on Kofi's Peeps (the marshmallow kind)

Watched Jerry Springer's episode on them pushing the censors, and it featured Punk's "pipebomb" promo from Raw.  It's amazing that they not only feature him, but it's him talking shit about WWE.  All this with a lawsuit going on.  Awesome.  And to top it off Jerry simply said that he left.

I got back to watching Nitro/RAW back to back, and watching the two after one another makes it seem pretty clearly like RAW has a quite a bit of crowd sweetening/piped-in noise. For how long did Vince pipe noise in on RAW in those days? It felt like from somewhere in late 1994 up through where I am now (mid-1996) that sometimes, the noise would feel distractingly artificial. 

Thoughts on Survivor Series 93

Razor Ramon buried his former AWA tag team championship partner, Mr. Perfect, by saying he tagged out before the match started. Perfect's replacement was Randy Savage. Of course, one year earlier, Perfect replaced Ultimate Warrior to team with Savage against Ramon and Ric Flair.

Shawn Michaels is the MVP of this show. He saved the match against the Hart brothers from falling apart when he stepped in for Jerry Lawler. So he had to adopt Lawler's Knights as his own and quickly throw out a fresh batch of insults at the Harts. Shawn also sold like crazy for all of the Harts, especially for Stu. 

The Rock & Roll Express vs. The Heavenly Bodies is one of the rare matches that would have gotten a bigger reaction if the crowd were smaller. If that crowd were further south than Boston, that would have helped, too.

In the four Doinks match, the fans were chanting, "We Want Doink" because they were expecting the real one (well, the new babyface version) to be wrestling. This match was really bad, as the heels were all unfocused and kept falling prey to silly gags. Doink cut a lousy promo on Bigelow after the match, too.

Even though Crush was a heel, he showed the same inability to concentrate on his opponents in the ring as he did when he was a face feuding with evil Doink. Crush got counted out battling Savage on the floor -- even though Crush pulled the same trick on Savage in the opening match. 

Man, Chavo/DDP opener at Fall Brawl in 1996 is one of my favorite opening matches ever. I didn't really remember it that well I guess, but it's really great. My one complaint is that Chavo got away from beating the shit out of DDP in anger to start going for pinfalls too quickly. Still, man, that was a great run at the end with the vet DDP pulling random shit out that he thinks will put Chavo away and Chavo just having the fire and guts to kick out and try to fight from underneath with counters. 

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 94

Tatanka-Bigelow was a good opener, but it would have been nice to see the original match, Tatanka-Ludvig Borga. Either Tatanka gets revenge on the guy who broke his streak, or Borga stays super-strong and moves into title contention.

Owen's heel turn on Bret was just perfect. I loved his subtle comment during the pre-match interview that he would be "leading the way." Bret really wasn't trying to hog the glory; he just saw an opening for the Sharpshooter and tried to win the match. Of course, Owen had his own narrative in his head. Even Owen's classic malaprop after the match "That's why I kicked your leg out of your leg" makes sense because he was so mad at Bret that he couldn't speak correctly. 

The IC title match was the best IRS match I've seen in a long time. It wasn't bogged down with standstill offense like most of his matches. The false title change was good, as IRS would have been a believable IC champ.

Ted DiBiase did a superb job on commentary during the Yoko (and Friends!) vs. Undertaker casket match. First, he mentioned how dangerous Yoko could be because he was "backed into a corner" and forced to face his fear of caskets.  Then he heaped praise onto Mr. Fuji for recruiting the heel locker room to beat up the Undertaker, because there are no disqualifications. This match set the precedent for unlimited cheating in no-DQ matches.

Bret Hart wins the MVP award of the pay-per-view for his selling his leg throughout the show. When he limped down the aisle to enter the Rumble, that was a heroic moment. Luger was also attacked before the Rumble, but Bret's battle was much more personal. 

I'm into October 1995 Raw (trying to catch up to where I am with Nitro before more get put up, hopefully soon) and I have to say, I am loving the shit out of this faux-Van Halen "Right Now" piano music during hype videos for the following week. It almost makes Alundra Blayze vs Bertha Faye sound appetizing

EDIT: OHHH this is the week where Shawn calls in after the "unprovoked attack outside a Syracuse nightclub by some ten individuals"

Watching a nWo skit on Nitro and Scott Hall asks little Nick Hogan "Hey Nick, you like race cars?" AWK-WAAAAAAAAAAAARD

• Like 2

Just finished the Triple Tower of Doom match. I don't know what I just watched.

I was there in person for the match and remember the buildup and I still have no idea what I watched.  They acted like the gimmick was that Precious was supposed to be lured to the dark side by Sullivan and that nobody knew whose side she was on, and that her siding with Garvin in the end was a big deal.  But I remember the shows leading up to it and in no was was it booked that way.  There was no doubt she was on Garvin's side so the ending was just anticlimactic.  The match was dumb and convoluted and, from what I recall, they never really explained the rules too well in the buildup.  All I really rememberis Sullivan's promos ("I AM BUILDING A TOWAH").  It was such a  desperate attempt to outdo the Wargames.

Wasn't the real purpose of the Triple Tower of Doom match to upstage World Class who was debuting it on their Cotton Bowl/Dallas Stadium show?  

Anyway if you haven't seen the Dusty Stories special you definitely should.  Arn Anderson was just oozing personality on this show talking about why he hates babyfaces and how he would get pinned in matches he wasn't even involved in.   Hayes and Flair is vintage Hayes and Flair.   Also the concept of Hayes, Gordy, Tommy Rich, and Dusty Rhodes riding together at once is the most awesome thing I have ever heard.  

• Like 3

I absolutely loved that Dusty stories special.  Only complaint I have is that I wish it went longer.  Thought for sure Ric was going to cry any second at times, but he was great.  Great show.

• Like 1