DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

KotR '93 is one of my favorite PPVs ever, maybe partly because it was one of the few VHS tapes I had at the time, and I can still recite half the commentary along with the video. I might be the only person who really likes the Ross/Macho/Heenan commentary team, actually. I know most people find it to be awkward, but I thought Macho and Heenan as face/heel commentators with Ross as the straight action-caller worked really well on this show.

Bret/Perfect was vicious at the time and holds up now as a more violent match than WWE typically had at the time. I also thought the "My dad can beat your dad" stuff pre-match was pretty funny and also worked as a way to get these two faces at each other's throats again.

I also am a big fan of Luger/Tatanka and thought that it was the third-best match of the show behind Bret/Perfect and Bret/Bam Bam. The last four minutes, where Luger is too busy preening and being heelish to have urgency while Tatanka DOES have urgency, but can't get enough of the upper hand to try and take advantage, played perfectly into their characters and made for a real sense of tension. Love that match. KotR was pretty good the first couple of years for having really nice matches that came out of nowhere in some ways (this match, Bret/Razor as a fun ten minute opener worked around injured fingers, and Owen/Kid the next year, which is still my favorite sub-five-minute match ever). 

Finally, for some reason, Scott Steiner yelling "THAT'S WHAT YA GET FOR BEIN' STUPID" at DiBiase after the eight-man tag has always cracked me up. Still does. 

I'm a little bummed out right now. BigFresh gets "Culture Shock w/ Corey Graves" and I'll probably get "Cooking w/ Cesaro" on the network. Vince will more than likely have him talk like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.

"Flur dee lur dee. Gersh gurndy mor-dee, burn-dee flip flip flip. FACT!"

He could go back to reviewing coffee.

• Like 1

Any of you guys watch the Reigns documentary yet? Its really good, it wont turn you into a Reigns fan overnight but it further spotlights the fact that he WILL be a huge star down the road and will be able to run with it

I hope they wait a while before giving him the belt and the moment that was stolen from him.

This Cinco de Mayo show is quite random. Not sure what I was expecting, but a Sgt Slaughter vs Mil Mascaras match from 1981 wasn't it. Pretty cool so far, though. I always like when they pull out some deep cuts.

The playlist stuff is all found elsewhere (the Slaughter/Mascaras match was on WWE classics in 2011 or 2012). I wish they had done something like what they did with Black History Month and really show off the depth of their library.

I thought it was fun.  It was a good collection of stuff that I'm really not going to take the time to track all down even if it is already out there.  Simple stuff like this goes a long way toward my Network enjoyment.

Currently watching:

AJ Lee vs Kaitlyn - WWE Payback 2013 - Video Dailymotion https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27c5e9_aj-lee-vs-kaitlyn-wwe-payback-2013_sport

I swear AJ got work done on her face man. Looks different in the face than she did recently.

Never understood those that didn't like AJ's work in the ring. AJ was solid man. She understands psychology and she has some of the best facials since my man Ohtani.

And she did a Dos Amigos version of neckbreakers. Kinda cool.

AJ probably takes the Spear better from Kaitlyn than any other person took the spear from any offensive wrestler. Maybe Dolph takes it from Roman just as well. But Kaitlyn used to KILL AJ with those spears man.

Any of you guys watch the Reigns documentary yet? Its really good, it wont turn you into a Reigns fan overnight but it further spotlights the fact that he WILL be a huge star down the road and will be able to run with it

I hope they wait a while before giving him the belt and the moment that was stolen from him.

It was cool. Some overlap from the Uso's doc but it was a solid watch. His wife's freckles...........

That makes a ton of sense given how much WWE wanted to be like ECW with that show.  You know, instead of Jerry's show just put Shotgun Saturday night on the Network, that'd be more entertaining.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ron-simmons-damn-2-o.gif

EDIT:  I feel I need others to see this to share my disbelief, might have to subject them to this.  My nephew loves his Elmo toy and now I can't look at that the same way for a while.

Jimmy Jack Funk vs Koko B Ware from the November 86 Boston Garden show ends with JJF whipping Koko with his rope, and then putting the noose around his neck, dragging him around the ring.

Koko doesn't even get any revenge for it. He tries to attack JJF, but he gets away.

9 year old me was so excited for the Sunny sex tape. They teased it the week before and I remember making it a point to stay up because I thought I'd see boobies. I was beyond disappointed at the whole thing.

Also, it's kinda sad (and funny) that such a thing could plausibly happen now. Poor Sunny.

Jimmy Jack Funk vs Koko B Ware from the November 86 Boston Garden show ends with JJF whipping Koko with his rope, and then putting the noose around his neck, dragging him around the ring.

Koko doesn't even get any revenge for it. He tries to attack JJF, but he gets away.

Not sure there's another reason it was edited out. I'm pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere, either on the Network or on YouTube.

Watched the lone episode of the Rock n' Wrestling cartoon with my girlfriend. Her reactions made me look forward to the entire run going up. Humorously, I think I remembered it being even worse than it actually was. James Avery as JYD was actually pretty good...

I was surprised how good JYD sounded.  I for a bit thought that was really him.  And similar to your post, Shane, I'm looking forward to more episodes to see what my wife thinks of it.