DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

i hate to be cynical, but maybe putting these episodes up will finally kill the unwarranted attitude era nostalgia. I'm 27. I loved Austin, Mankind, Rock, DX, Taker, The Corporation etc. just as much as anything else, but I also remember Mae Young's hand, Beaver Cleavage, Brawl for All, Jeff Jarrett: woman abuser, and every other shit thing about that time. Maybe this makes me a bad person, but just give me the 97 Nitros and a bunch of b-shows and territory stuff, and I'll be a happy camper

1. i love to be cynical, but that has nothing to do with what i'm about to say.

Mae Young giving birth to a hand was fucking terrible, but a year or two ago when he (re-)debuted, it was awesome and salvaged the angle for me. Beaver Cleavage was ridiculous but i have no problem with it.  i will support Brawl4All 4ever. i resent Jeff Jarrett more for his TNA and 2000s WCW stints than anything that happened in the WWF. 

i find the mid/late 2000s stuff ("Trump" vs "Rosey", JR's colonoscopy, etc.) to be FAR more cringeworthy and less entertaining than the attitude era as a whole.

all that being said, from summer 1996 --> Starrcade '97, WCW Monday Nitro (+c-shows) is a damn fantastic year and a half of wrestling tv. 

• Like 1

That Warrior first look special was all kinds of heart-breaking and can make it a bit dusty for damn near anybody.  It is clips from the special they had last year and includes updated footage of the family.  It's tough to watch, that's for sure.  The part that really got me is the older daughter wanting to be a wrestler.  She had a "match" with Nattie and won, and she celebrated by shaking the ropes with Warrior's music playing.  At first I was going to pass on the DVD since I saw the special last year, but with updated footage it might be worth checking out.

Of course the WWE Network's vision of the Attitude Era begins with the night DX had their farce of a match for the European Championship. Bravo WWE...bravo.

It seems like they just figured that the Attitude Era started with the first RAW in 1998 and went with that. 

I'm starting my Attitude Era binge watching with the first RAW after WrestleMania XIV. 

Yokozuna was the MVP (and the winner) of the Rumble. His belly-to-belly elimination of Earthquake was very impressive. Plus, he fought off six guys who were trying to dump him. Powering Randy Savage over the top was the exclamation point. Yoko proved in this match that he wasn't just a fat guy. He could really go.

His elimination of Savage was pretty dumb though. Why would Macho go for a cover? Savage had been in the sport for about 15 years at that point. You'd think he'd know how to win a battle royal. It would've been better for Yoko to just gorilla press him out or something like that.

What would he do, just pick him up? I took it as he was drained and desperate, not thinking straight. 

Why would he try to pin him? He's drained and desperate and forgets rule 101 on how to win a battle royal? Yoko is dazed. Wait for him to stagger up and then try to clothesline him over the top.

Yokozuna was the MVP (and the winner) of the Rumble. His belly-to-belly elimination of Earthquake was very impressive. Plus, he fought off six guys who were trying to dump him. Powering Randy Savage over the top was the exclamation point. Yoko proved in this match that he wasn't just a fat guy. He could really go.

His elimination of Savage was pretty dumb though. Why would Macho go for a cover? Savage had been in the sport for about 15 years at that point. You'd think he'd know how to win a battle royal. It would've been better for Yoko to just gorilla press him out or something like that.

What would he do, just pick him up? I took it as he was drained and desperate, not thinking straight. 

Why would he try to pin him? He's drained and desperate and forgets rule 101 on how to win a battle royal? Yoko is dazed. Wait for him to stagger up and then try to clothesline him over the top.

The ONLY reason that the spot worked is because it was Savage, IMO. This is the same guy that damn near eliminated himself a year ago in the Rumble because he totally lost control of himself, which is the gimmick that he worked for years up to that point. Savage losing it in the heat of battle again and going for a pin on instinct made lots of sense to me. 

Of course the WWE Network's vision of the Attitude Era begins with the night DX had their farce of a match for the European Championship. Bravo WWE...bravo.

It seems like they just figured that the Attitude Era started with the first RAW in 1998 and went with that. 

I'm starting my Attitude Era binge watching with the first RAW after WrestleMania XIV. 

I'd go as far back as Bret's little tantrum when they were taking the cage down in 97. Pillman's got a gun. Lots of good Austin stuff with Owen and Rock too that will be missed out on. Not to mention the sit-down Mankind interview, the Summer of Love and the Cactus Jack debut at the Garden against HHH. Also, the lead up to Kane's debut at Badd Blood is crucial.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on WrestleMania IX

Luna Vachon "managed" Shawn Michaels in the opener, but she never interacted with him at all.  She walked out behind him, didn't talk to him, didn't cheer for him and didn't interfere on his behalf. Only after the match was over did she attack Sherri to answer the question, "why is Luna here?"

Tatanka should have won the IC title. The crowd was ready for it, and Shawn always could have won the belt back down the line. It would have reduced the number of unclean finishes on a show that had too many. 

The Headshrinkers and Steiners was the best match, with lots of power and innovation.

Doink is the MVP (on a very sub-par WrestleMania) for pulling off one of my favorite finishes in history. Nobody in the world expected a second clown to come out, and the best part came after the match. Fonzie came to the ring, but he and Joey Marella couldn't find the second Doink under the ring. Heenan had the perfect excuse, since they were in Las Vegas. "It's magic! It's an illusion!"

Razor vs. Backlund was such a weird match. Backlund had been undefeated since his return and Razor was a heel. So the fans cheered Razor to a clean victory.

Money Inc. vs. Hogan & Beefcake can only be described as having a stupid WCW finish. Jimmy Hart turns his jacket inside out to reveal referee stripes, counts the pin and starts celebrating? That's almost as illogical as the Macho Man going for the pin in the Royal Rumble. 

Why did Shawn Michaels attack Mr. Perfect backstage after the Luger-Perfect match? He had just barely escaped with his IC title against Tatanka, so why antagonize Mr. Perfect?

The fans were chanting for Hogan during the Giant Gonzalez rampage. It makes me wonder if Hogan-Gonzalez would have happened at SummerSlam 93 if Hogan had stuck around.

Another two months or so of Primetime were added. There's a decent chance that I'll be choosing those over Extreme Rules. Dunno if that says more about me or them at this point...

They just casually dropped a reference to King of the Ring LIVE ACTION airing this Tuesday during a Network promo on the Extreme Rules Pre Show. Schedule is currently just listing a one-hour "WWE Network Exclusive" for 8pm on Tuesday. I cant imagine they would burn through an entire tournament in an hour or just do a four-man tournament. Maybe they're doing a 16 man tournament over the course of a few weeks on the Network? Could be a good month of original in-ring programming for the Network if thats the case.

They just casually dropped a reference to King of the Ring LIVE ACTION airing this Tuesday during a Network promo on the Extreme Rules Pre Show. Schedule is currently just listing a one-hour "WWE Network Exclusive" for 8pm on Tuesday. I cant imagine they would burn through an entire tournament in an hour or just do a four-man tournament. Maybe they're doing a 16 man tournament over the course of a few weeks on the Network? Could be a good month of original in-ring programming for the Network if thats the case.

Came here to see if there was any more news on this. Surely, they're not casually dropping something so cool on us.

The Springer episode was not as horrible as I thought.  If anything it was nice to see wacky shit like Billy and Chuck and Mark Henry in his Sexual Chocolate days.  Fun times.

Foley's standup was a mixed bag.  It had funny moments but he didn't have a real flow to the story he was telling.  Plus, it was mainly retelling parts from his first book, which would be funnier if I never heard of these tales before.  It's at least good to know despite their "strained" relationship WWE let him put that on the Network.  Though more and more it's hard to believe he gets a pass for being such a creep.  I could do with never hearing him mention the Divas again.  Then there's also the tweet he put before the show aired that had a gif of Nikki's boobs with HHH looking on in approval.  The more I think about it, the less I like the guy.  But past that, it is nice to be reminded of how good he actually was.  Maybe I should stick with his past matches/promos and forget his recent stuff.

The Jerry Springer Show was a complete bust and I am not watching again. As a trip down memory lane- its fine. However, Its hard for me to watch a show ON THE INTERNET called TOO HOT FOR TV and things are blurred and beeped out. WWE owns The Network and content and should really cut the shit when it comes to profanity, etc. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Very lame, but if I was 10 years I would have dug it- so perhaps I am outside the demo for a show like this.

Just watched Jerry Allen (Magnum TA clone?) pin Tiger Chung Lee on an episode of Prime Time. A quick Google search shows that he slipped on ice and hit his head on a Cadillac in 1995 causing his death. He also had a Southern title reign and feud with Randy Savage. Pretty interesting guy.

Thoughts on King of the Ring 1993

As I was driving to Dayton for this show, my buddy and I were making our predictions. The only thing we knew for sure was that Hogan was going to beat Yokozuna. Well, we were a little bit off. The crowd was absolutely shocked into silence. The only reaction that beat that was when Austin lost the WWF title to Kane at King of the Ring five years later.

The poor guy who dresses up as Hogan was in the front row to see his hero get crushed, just like he was in Detroit at Survivor Series 91 when Hogan lost the belt to Undertaker.

Bret Hart was the obvious MVP of the show. Not only did he wrestle three very good matches and get destroyed by Jerry Lawler (a very strange ending for a WWF show at the time), but Bret had hurt his ankle one night earlier while wrestling Bob Backlund at Madison Square Garden. 

Crush looked like a complete idiot losing to Shawn Michaels by getting distracted by the two Doinks. I don't see how the WWF expected anyone to cheer for someone so hopeless, so maybe they were already planning to turn him heel. 

Mr. Perfect flipped his towel behind his back so that it landed right on Mr. Hughes' shoulder. Now that's perfect.

• Like 1

I'm a little bummed out right now. BigFresh gets "Culture Shock w/ Corey Graves" and I'll probably get "Cooking w/ Cesaro" on the network. Vince will more than likely have him talk like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets.

"Flur dee lur dee. Gersh gurndy mor-dee, burn-dee flip flip flip. FACT!"

• Like 1