DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

But if they are time travelers maybe they are from some far flung future where the book of Flair is the bible.

Is this the same future where Dusty is President?

State of the Union Address:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States!"

"A -- meeeerrricaaaan Dreeeeemm......he's just a common man..."

• Like 1

But if they are time travelers maybe they are from some far flung future where the book of Flair is the bible.

Is this the same future where Dusty is President?

State of the Union Address:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States!"

"A -- meeeerrricaaaan Dreeeeemm......he's just a common man..."

I can't imagine the campaign ads:

"Dusty Rhodes - he has wined and dined with kings and queens and slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans. He's just a common man, working hard for the man. And the man is YOU!" 

• Like 2

They just watched Vader destroy Sting. Not the best booking from Watts.

They also sat through Gordy and Williams cut off any offense or comeback that Rhodes attempted to make. I get that the point was to make the MVC look dominant but man, two "heel beats the piss out of fiery babyface" matches that close together is not a recipe for loud crowd reactions.

Thoughts on SummerSlam 90

Hercules & Paul Roma's PowerPlex was such a great finisher that I'm amazed that no tag team has stolen it in the last 25 years.

Too bad we couldn't get the Martel-Santana blowoff on this show from more than a year earlier. Poor Tito had to lose a singles bout to a member of the Powers of Pain for the second straight pay-per-view. 

I have no idea why Crush had to cause a disqualification after the Hart Attack in the second fall of the Harts-Demolition match. Either way, it counted as a loss in the second fall, and the Harts were going to win the third fall anyway. 

Duggan and Volkoff singing God Bless America together was hilariously bad and somewhat poignant considering how Duggan interrupted Volkoff's singing of the Russian National Anthem at WrestleMania III.

The show-long angle involving Sapphire was great - it's too bad she left the company so quickly that she couldn't be around for Dusty to get his revenge, which never actually happened.

Brother Love certainly had a lot of segments on pay-per-view. Sgt. Slaughter came right up to the line when he said American's troops were soft. That would have been an interesting character for him to play. However, the only way he could win the title and headline WM 7 is if he went full-scale Iraqi sympathizer, which ironically cost Vince McMahon his much-anticipated crowd of 100,000 -- a dream he is still chasing to this very day. 

Hogan couldn't stand not being the champion, as he said his win over Earthquake would lead to a "title wave" of momentum that would lead him back to the top of the WWF.

Earthquake is the MVP of the show for his "hardcore" performance in the Hogan match. First, Hogan slammed him onto a table on the floor that DIDN'T break (who made this thing?). Then Bossman blasted him in the back with a chair three times, leaving huge welts on his back. I'm surprised the Philly fans didn't erect an Earthquake statue outside the arena after the show. 

It was still a house show business at that point, so Hogan got his revenge every night for the next few months.

Just randomly watched Starcade 96 for the first time. Booking is all over the place, even by WCW standards, but it was still a fun show. And a hot crowd to boot.

Thoughts on Survivor Series 90

I wondered why WWF champion The Ultimate Warrior opened the show, then I realized, "Oh yeah, this is the show with the Grand Finale Match of Survival." Sure enough, Warrior had about two hours to rest before he tagged into the main event.

Hilarious that The Undertaker and The Gobbledy Gooker debuted on the same show. Congrats to Koko B. Ware for going down in history as Taker's first victim.

Gorilla Monsoon was right there to call Taker's finisher the Tombstone. Gorilla is my all-time favorite, and I learned so much about how to be a wrestling announcer by listening to him.

Jake Roberts faced the biggest deficit in Survivor Series history (4 to 1) for the second time, because it happened against Andre's team in 1988. Then later in the night, Sgt. Slaughter faced the same deficit and almost beat Nikolai Volkoff's entire team single-handedly.

Ted DiBiase is the MVP of the show for pinning both members of the WWF tag team champions (The Hart Foundation) in the same match. 

They made a big deal out of the Visionaries being the first team to survive intact. While I like the idea of the Grand Finale Match of Survival, it's a good thing they never repeated it, because most of the night's winners ended up as losers.

so i think yesterday was the one year anniversary of the WWE Network. 

thoughts?

praise?

is there any AWA available yet?

I like it.

I was never one to pirate PPV shows so it's nice to see them each month.  There's usually a couple of really good matches even on the throwaway shows.

I watch NXT weekly, love the specials.  I watched Main Event most weeks until it went away.  Legends House was fun. I enjoy random things like the youtube content and Tough Enough and tend to watch a lot of that stuff. Things like Heyman's DVD popping up are a nice surprise.

I rarely look at the older ppv shows.  The search feature on Roku where I do the majority of my viewing sucks.  A better search would help me seek out old matches I want to see again.

The lack of territory stuff kinda blows.  I became a fan in the early 90's so that's stuff I mostly haven't seen.  Would love to see more WCCW, AWA and such. I realize that stuff probably wont move lots of subscriptions though, so it will always be a low priority.

So yeah...I like it.  It's worth ten bucks a month to me.  I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Yeah, what is up with the search system? It has to be the one search on the internet that doesn't know that if someone types "Vader Koloff" they're looking for a Vader vs Nikita Koloff match. It insists there's nobody called that. So then you type "Nikita Koloff", and the Vader match is one of the first that appears.

• Like 1

Koloff's last match, as it happens. Vader retired him. I'd wanted to watch the full version for ages, because it was clipped on the UK VHS version. Halloween Havoc 92.

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 91

Rockers-Orient Express and Bossman-Barbarian were both very good matches, allowing the smaller and bigger guys to do what they do best. The fans just weren't that into the Barbarian as a singles guy, and the Bossman-Heenan Family feud just dragged on way too long.

Randy Savage attacked the Ultimate Warrior and cost him the WWF title because Warrior would not give him a title match, but Slaughter would. However, I don't recall the Macho Man ever getting that title shot against Slaughter.

Savage also missed his spot in the Rumble because he ran away backstage from the rampaging Ultimate Warrior.

The fans were so mad about Slaughter winning the title that they didn't care a bit for the Mountie-Koko match. Even the announcers had a hard time getting over the title change.

Amazing to see Dustin Rhodes come out with his daddy and know that he would still be wrestling on WWE pay-per-views 24 years later.  

The crowd went crazy when Virgil finally broke free from DiBiase by blasting him with the Million Dollar title, but he stayed true to his personality by not slapping five with the fans on the way back to the dressing room.

The Rumble had a lot less star power than it did one year earlier. The only person the fans could have bought as a legitimate threat to Hogan was the Undertaker, but he was knocked out by the Road Warriors before Hogan arrived.

The MVP of the Rumble and the entire PPV was Rick "The Model" Martel. He set a new record by lasting for 52 minutes, and he was not passive at all. His two main rivals, Jake Roberts and Tito Santana, went after him with a vengeance, but it took Davey Boy Smith to finally eliminate him. Martel tossed out Roberts, Jim Neidhart and Saba Simba, plus he helped Hercules to eliminate Road Warrior Hawk. 

I just got an email from WWE gifting me $25 in Shopzone as a thank you for being a subscriber from the beginning. Now I have to decide which T-Shirt I want to get. Thinking of either the new Daniel Bryan one or the new Sami Zayn one. May go with the Sami Zayn one since it looks less like a wrestling shirt than Bryan's.

Wait. There's a match with Nikita Koloff and Vader? How have I not known this nor seen this match before now?

I have to wonder if there was some kind of bad blood b/t Koloff and Bill Watts b/c Vader pretty much beats the shit out of Koloff and the commentators bury him. That was about as big of a "get the hell out of my promotion" job as you can get.

I just got an email from WWE gifting me $25 in Shopzone as a thank you for being a subscriber from the beginning. Now I have to decide which T-Shirt I want to get. Thinking of either the new Daniel Bryan one or the new Sami Zayn one. May go with the Sami Zayn one since it looks less like a wrestling shirt than Bryan's.

I await the $9.99- (25/12) promos to start soon.

I should be getting one, I signed up on day 1.  In that year I've had to change my debit car/information twice due to people trying to mess with it.  Both times I got a payment error for the Network until I changed the information.  The second one just unsubscribed me altogether and I had to re-sub.  Long story short, I guess that keeps me from getting the $25 which if true is really annoying.  I'd try their support team but I have little to no expectations.

• Like 1

Picked up the Finn Bàlor "Arrival" shirt for $7.95. Pretty pleased with that.