DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Cypher is one of those rare characters who is far more useful in 2016 than he was in 1986 due to the way technology has advanced.

That said, if you don't want to go that route, he makes a great POV character due to his lack of physical powers.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Cypher is one of those rare characters who is far more useful in 2016 than he was in 1986 due to the way technology has advanced.

That said, if you don't want to go that route, he makes a great POV character due to his lack of physical powers.

Well, the good thing about Doug is that his basic storyline is built in tragedy from his angst about not having physical powers to his symbiotic friendship with Warlock to the fact that his hallmark act of selfless heroism cost him his life.

Cypher is by no means a throwaway character, but the slow burn of his sub-plot will take a while to get going.  I'm actually surprised they're not bringing Doug in if they have Warlock because the tears of sorrow from the audience at end of the trilogy when Doug dies are guaranteed if the story is handled respectfully.

It is a classic tragic tale that should pay off huge, but I hope they do it with another villain because I thought The Ani-Mator was a pretty stupid villain.

He'll also prove his worth if they go with Magus as a villain and Doug saves the day simply by reprogramming the big bastard once the NW finds out that brute force won't cut it.

Since Doug got clipped years ago, I am going hazard a guess that spoiler space is not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have much time for the Fantastic Four compared to other superheroes as I've read/watched more from these. Best Fantastic Four I've read/watched was in Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars (2015). I however do feel for Fantastic Four fans going 0/3 in live action movies but more so seeing the great MCU rehabiltation jobs on Spider-Man, Daredevil and the Punisher.

Hey now, the first two Fantastic Four movies weren't all that bad. I've said it before but Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom was pretty awesome, I thought. Galactus being a cloud in the sequel was horrible, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We saw X-Men Apocalypse last night. I liked it more than I was expecting to. It was a little too long. Too much happened. I both wanted more development for certain characters (Angel, Psylocke, Jubilee), and was annoyed others weren't in it (Kitty). Obviously some things had to give. The Quicksilver scene was great. Nightcrawler was a lot of fun and pretty much how I'd want them to play a young Nightcrawler. Emotionally tortured Nightcrawler is the worst.

Apocalypse had JUST enough pathos to work, I thought, especially in the scene where he was walking in traffic and in some of his interactions with Storm. 

Basically, there was too much in the movie for it to be really good but I didn't care because I was a fan and I wanted even more. I wanted the 4 hour extended edition, but that's a luxury I can have watching at home.

Alex being older than Scott is just so weird. The only real character shift that frustrated me was Caliban (of all characters). I get why they'd change Quicksilver or Psylocke or whatever. They're marketable and there's value to fitting them into the story with certain changes. But why use a d-lister like Caliban if you're just going to use the power set and not the personality. That's just lazy.

• Like 1

Speaking of Caliban....so...He's in the new Wolverine movie (called just plain LOGAN for the moment, until somebody at Fox realizes that's a bad marketing idea), too.

And he's being played by Stephen Merchant.  You know...Ricky Gervais's buddy.

That's pretty weird casting.