DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Saw this yesterday, went in with low expectations based on word of mouth, was very pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near as bad as all that. I think the main reason it has criticism is that you really need to have watched all the other movies for this one to make sense. It ties things up nicely. Enjoyed it more than Batman vs Superman.

Random thoughts:

Spoiler

Wolvie's cameo was awesome action, slicing up half an army base. Weird that he had that visor thing on the whole time, then Jean just slipped it off. Him scampering off into the woods was exactly how I thought 47 year old Hugh Jackman would run. Young Stryker put in a good performance, trying to channel Brian Cox is no easy feat.

New Jean Grey is beautiful, Psylocke is sexy.

Quiksilvers scene in the mansion was fun, but probably a minute too long, but they paid for that Eurythmics song, so they damn well were going to use it in it's entirety.

Xavier's lilac sweater stuck out like a sore thumb, wardrobe fail, he couldn't have been wearing Patrick's suit? 

Oscar Isaac definitely not needed, I got an Imhotep vibe from Apocalypse, what's Arnold Vosloo up to anyway?

Jlaw definitely phoned it in, but I will allow it for that dress she was wearing in the Nightcrawler scene.

Magneto's daughter being killed off like that was disappointing, thought she had a cool power, like how they tied it in with Magneto's own story. Loved him destroying Auschwitz.

On 6/13/2016 at 2:14 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And they are currently casting for: 

Hide contents

X23

Unconfirmed rumor at the moment. I want it to be true, but no one reliable has floated it (as far as I've seen).

EDIT:  Origin of the rumor seems to be a casting call that sort of sounds like X-23. But some serious departures, too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/does-this-wolverine-3-casting-call-confirm-x-23

On 6/10/2016 at 5:48 AM, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Saw this yesterday, went in with low expectations based on word of mouth, was very pleasantly surprised. It's nowhere near as bad as all that. I think the main reason it has criticism is that you really need to have watched all the other movies for this one to make sense. It ties things up nicely. Enjoyed it more than Batman vs Superman.

Random thoughts:

Hide contents

Wolvie's cameo was awesome action, slicing up half an army base. Weird that he had that visor thing on the whole time, then Jean just slipped it off. Him scampering off into the woods was exactly how I thought 47 year old Hugh Jackman would run. Young Stryker put in a good performance, trying to channel Brian Cox is no easy feat.

Spoiler

I think the reasoning for Wolvie to keep the visor on was that he was in complete rage mode. He wasn't going to remove anything he did not need to remove, he was going to kill anything that moved and not waste valuable killing time removing his visor.

It wasn't the iconic Weapon X look though. You could see almost all of his face, it wasn't a full-face helmet at all.

CjEZlxdXAAEHgaY.jpg

I mean him having a visor/helmet in general... Spider-Man didn't walk around with his mask off half the time either, and Mystique doesn't spend most of her time as a blond white girl. But you gotta see those famous faces...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I trust that Tim Miller will be on point.  Fuck, look what he did for Colossus.

I personally would've gone with an actor that has shown interest in the role like Perlman or Lang, but if Tim says that Chandler has what it takes then I am all in.

Word is that Mackenzie Davis (Halt & Catch Fire, The Martian) is the front runner for the role of Domino.