DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Seeing it Sat lunchtime with the GF. Who isn't into superheroes and doesn't like opening weekend crowds and knows nothing about the char, but was not down with me using my Federal holiday to see it while she was at work.

There's a bit at the beginning specifically for you.

2016's Kingsman. Funny, irreverant, great action, surprising amount of heart. I loved it.

Also

The sex montage was amazing.

• Like 2

non-spoiler, but something a friend pointed out to me.

during the climax of the film/ending battle/whathaveyou, my friend turns to me and says "is that the Avenger's crashed helicarrier?" and while i know it isn't, i now am pretending that they integrated this movie into the Avengersverse.

No, that's what we thought too.

So many little things in this movie. Like, when Deadpool is trying to track down guys to lead him to Francis, and his stabbing those pictures on his bulletin board, eventually, you see that Deadpool has put a hand-drawn crown of dicks on Francis' head.

• Like 1

Deadpool is one of the funniest films I've seen at the cinema. Deadpool's movie uniqueness helps compared to the majority of comic book films too.

Highlights:

The opening credits for what's said and how they move around the paused fight in a car which we then get to see shortly after.

Deadpool's fight with Colossus when he's breaking his limbs saying how the T-Rex was feared.

All the taxi sequences particularly the final one when the driver takes up Deadpool's advice. Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead are in the backseat. Deadpool denies he said this while inbetween telling him what he should do.

X-Men digs: X-Men Origins: Wolverine, "Which Professor, McAvoy or Stewart?" and studio not funding more X-Men.

• Like 1

Deadpool is tracking to do $65 to $70 Million this weekend. 

Fox has already greenlit a sequel and plans to retain the X-Men license rather than sell it back to Marvel.  X-Force movie may become a reality if Deadpool and Apocalypse do really well.

Some sites are reporting that it's expected to have a $90mil opening weekend.

It's been awhile since I've seen a movie with this many sight gags in it. This is easily in my top 10 of funniest movies since 2000.

I think the line that made me laugh the most was:

When Deadpool says to Al, "Al, I want you to know that I love you. And there's a 1,000 pounds of cocaine hidden in this house. It's right next to the cure for blindness."

That, or "Fuck Liefeld!"

• Like 2

The only site I saw the $90 million number is box office.com, and I think that's more for the four-day weekend.  

This making $90 million this weekend would be insane.

Hollywood Reporter is calling for a $90mil opening weekend. It's already beaten Winter Soldier and GotG for the single day (Thursday) debut.

Now that it's on pace for a ridiculous $110 million weekend, I'm thinking about how the wild success of DEADPOOL will affect APOCALYPSE in May. Will it be the proverbial rising tide that primes moviegoers for the next X-flick just 3 months away, or will they feel like they've had their fill of this world for the time being?

I thought it was super weird that my showing didn't have an APOCALYPSE trailer attached to it. You'd think Fox would've mandated that shit.

I'll also be interested to see how the comics respond to this version of NTW. She's not a huge part of the movie, but just by virtue of beign in such a big hit, she's already more well-known than the majority of mutants characters. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's going to be huge with a certain subset of teen girls.

The obvious move is to figure out how to Harley Quinn her into the comics continuity.

My showing had the old ass X-Men Apocalypse trailer in front of it.

I'm actually not sure how trailers work now. When I worked at the theater from '98 to '00, whoever was splicing the movie together would add the trailer film to the beginning.

I'll also be interested to see how the comics respond to this version of NTW. She's not a huge part of the movie, but just by virtue of beign in such a big hit, she's already more well-known than the majority of mutants characters. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's going to be huge with a certain subset of teen girls.

The obvious move is to figure out how to Harley Quinn her into the comics continuity.

To be fair, she's already been brought back twice since she died. And she was nothing remotely like the movie character. The comics version of NTW was a goth telepath.

I mean, they just rebooted their canon. Not a stretch to add a movie compliant version who is alive. Especially since I've seen reviews and had at least one friend think she stole the movie.