DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I mean, Deadpool comics are pretty much a satire. The best ones riff on familiar tropes and format while still delivering a story worth reading. Joe Kelly's run was great at that. Other writers...hit or miss. A lot just turn it into a lot of dumb slapstick which can be entertaining but isn't what I turn up for. Hoping the movie veers more toward Joe Kelly.

I think I actually prefer Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool to Kelly's run though the are pretty close to each other for me. Duggan's run can be a bit too much slapstick at times, but was generally good. All signs so far seem to point to them mainly using Kelly's run.

Deadpool is tracking to do $65 to $70 Million this weekend. 

Fox has already greenlit a sequel and plans to retain the X-Men license rather than sell it back to Marvel.  X-Force movie may become a reality if Deadpool and Apocalypse do really well.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about it.  I'd heard the next movie after Apocalypse is 

Onslaught

which would make sense if they want to make each movie a period piece.   

Apocalypse (80's), DoFP (70's), First Class (60's) with the spoilered thing being the 90's.  

God dammit, just do Dark Phoenix and do it right this time. I'm still pining for that after X2 and X3 sure as shit didn't come close to fulfilling the promise of the ending of X2.

IOU like. Real shame Bryan Singer wasn't able to complete the trilogy. Big difference in quality between X-Men and X2 to X-Men: The Last Stand. Singer's 3-0 with X-Men films.

Fox has already greenlit a sequel and plans to retain the X-Men license rather than sell it back to Marvel.  X-Force movie may become a reality if Deadpool and Apocalypse do really well.

Pretty sure they never planned to let go of the license. Isn't X-force already in the works? Really it seems more a question of which version.

A buddy of mine and I were talking about it.  I'd heard the next movie after Apocalypse is 

Onslaught

which would make sense if they want to make each movie a period piece.   

Apocalypse (80's), DoFP (70's), First Class (60's) with the spoilered thing being the 90's.  

Wouldn't he fall in line with Marvel as the major event was across the board and not just X-men related?

God dammit, just do Dark Phoenix and do it right this time. I'm still pining for that after X2 and X3 sure as shit didn't come close to fulfilling the promise of the ending of X2.

The thing is I was kind of thinking this would be one of the next ones as Singer recently mentioned wanting to redo it.

To what Eivion said, Singer mentioned that there are Phoenix elements in X-Men: Apocalypse, so we'll see what happens. For me, fewer movie events got me more excited with Jean's Phoenix powers coming to life throughout X2, ending with the shadow of the Phoenix in the lake. My friends and I left that movie with our minds blown, flipping the hell out thinking, "HOLY SHIT! PHOENIX SAGA FOR X3!!!"

Singer could give another go at doing Phoenix/Dark Phoenix, but I don't see how he re-captures the excitement he created at the end of X2. Maybe Apocalypse will answer that.

Pretty sure they never planned to let go of the license. Isn't X-force already in the works? Really it seems more a question of which version.

The films were very profitable, but the diminishing returns on critical reviews gave them slight pause.   Sooner or later there would come a film that would be a critical and financial turkey.

Fox was smart enough to re-invest in the creative teams and put just as much focus on the storytelling as the action and It paid off huge with First Class.

Deadpool is tracking to do $65 to $70 Million this weekend.

Fox has already greenlit a sequel and plans to retain the X-Men license rather than sell it back to Marvel. X-Force movie may become a reality if Deadpool and Apocalypse do really well.

It's probably asking for too much, but I'd LOVE to get a New Mutants/Academy X/Generation X/whatever they want to call it movie out of this(though that may fare better as a TV series).