DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I didn't realize that the person who wrote the worst X-Men movie, X3, also wrote this. Like...WHY. Why the fuck would you hire them again?

I was wondering if Kinsberg did both after watching the latest trailer. It seemed to be pulling from the idea of the Phoenix being an alternate personality of Jean again which I hated in the Last Stand. Still the Last Stand's biggest issue if I recall correctly was a completely shitty director. Just looking at Kinsberg's writer credit I actually like a decent amount of what he has written, but it is a mixed bag like Fowler mentioned last page.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Shut your mouth, the Rush Hour trilogy is awesome.

I said nothing about Rush Hour which Simon Kinberg has nothing to do with.

15 hours ago, Ace said:

It's abundantly clear that whatever it took to get J-Law to do this one last time, one of the things was "No more than an hour in make-up".

Isn't her participation in this one more the fault of the cast? I recall somethign about them being the ones who wanted her.

You were talking about Last Stand’s issue being a shitty director - that director also was the one who directed Rush Hour 1-3. I wasn’t talking about Kinberg.

So, I repeat...

Allegedly, J-Law, Fassbender, McAvoy and Hoult all agreed they wouldn't do another one unless they all decided to.

------

As for Ratner, he's certainly not a good director, but he was hired because he was willing to hit an impossible release date. After Singer bailed to do Superman Returns, Fox refused to change the date on what became Last Stand. They wanted Whedon, he turned it down because there wasn't enough time. Then they went to Matthew Vaughn, same deal. Ratner is a hack in the old school meaning of someone that will bring in a film on time and under budget. He started filming without a finished script, and allegedly at points he was literally directing two scenes at a time, one in front of him and one on a monitor to get the movie made. So I'm pretty sure it would've ended up a mess with anyone shooting it. Much less a mediocre hack like Ratner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spider-Verse was exceptional. I'm so glad I got to see it in the theater. The 6 year old was ok for the most part. She struggled a little with the idea of alternate realities and who the "real" Spider-Man was, but she still loved it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Spider-Verse was exceptional. I'm so glad I got to see it in the theater. The 6 year old was ok for the most part. She struggled a little with the idea of alternate realities and who the "real" Spider-Man was, but she still loved it.

Break out the pre Crisis DC comics with the multiple earth page.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

You were talking about Last Stand’s issue being a shitty director - that director also was the one who directed Rush Hour 1-3. I wasn’t talking about Kinberg.

So, I repeat...

Did not realize that. I love Rush Hour 1 & 2. I don't remember 3 all that well. Also considering Ratner was outed a sexual harasser he is still pretty shitty albeit more as a person than a director.

I'm not saying the Rush Hour movies ate bad, but if you were doing a Jacky Chan movie listmania, you'd be finished with the top 30 before any of them entered your brain. And they're not really Chris Tucker's best work either, come to think.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm not saying the Rush Hour movies ate bad, but if you were doing a Jacky Chan movie listmania, you'd be finished with the top 30 before any of them entered your brain. And they're not really Chris Tucker's best work either, come to think.

Yeah, of course, but that’s also not even remotely close to the topic at hand. This is about Ratner as a director, not if Rush Hour would break a best-of list for either Chan or Tucker.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, of course, but that’s also not even remotely close to the topic at hand. This is about Ratner as a director, not if Rush Hour would break a best-of list for either Chan or Tucker.

Hercules certainly argues towards him being bad.

I’ve never seen it (or After The Sunset). But I liked all three Rush Hour movies, Red Dragon, Money Talks, The Family Man and Tower Heist, so... he’s pretty decent in my book.

• Like 1

Tyrese Gibson has signed on with the cast of Morbius, The Living Vampire.

Maybe now his jealous punk ass can shut the fuck up about the Fast & Furious spin-off bullshit.