DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Just saw Into the Spiderverse. It may have been TOO awesome. There were times I couldn't handle the awesome because my brain was still processing the previous awesome.

Of course, I'm a giant Spider-Man nerd. For most people I'd imagine it was just awesome enough.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, The Natural said:

Early Christmas present thanks to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse...

Bonus:

This is now the 3rd time Chris Pine has stolen the scene with a song.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:24 AM, El Dragon said:

Arguably the most impressive part of this movie is that if you told me tomorrow they announced a Spider-Noir or Penni Parker movie I would be 100% on board.

As long as Spider Noir continues his battle with the Rubix cube

Went to see Spider-Verse over Christmas break.  I thought it was fucking awesome but I also felt like it was a movie tailor made for comic book geeks, which makes its universal and well deserved praise all the more astounding.

Animated comic book movies like this one, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, and BB: Return of the Joker continue to successfully bridge the gap between hardcore comic nerd and grognard casual audiences where so many live action movies with triple the budged have failed miserably.

• Like 2

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Producer Promises Tokusatsu Version in Potential Sequel

The Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse animated film introduced audiences to the many extra-dimensional versions of Peter Parker. Teen and newly-minted superhero Miles Morales eventually teams up with Spider Gwen, Peter B. Parker, Spider-Ham, Peni Parker, and Spider-Man Noir. Missing from all these different incarnations of our friendly neighborhood superhero is Toei's tokusatsu version, sometimes written out phonetically as Supaidāman.

The live-action, mecha-riding Marvel hero is unique to Japan and other than a shout-out in Ready Player One, hasn't seen much action since the 1970s. Spider-Verse producer Phil Lord has some ideas to bring the version of Spider-Man back, this time on the big screen in a potential Spider-Verse sequel. Lord confirmed that the tokusatsu hero would appear in the next Spider-Verse film, given that the first one garners at least US$200 million at the U.S. box office.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

DwRVr4wVAAAajLX.jpg

It beat out Incrdibles 2, Isle of Dogs and Mirai, so this is fucking HUGE.  

The Oscars are going to get very interesting when it comes to this category.  It will not be Pixar's award to walk away with this year.

• Like 1

The Animated Feature category is still a fairly fresh addition to the Golden Globes, having only been established for just over a decade. The first trophy went to Disney’s Cars in 2006, with last year’s award going home with Pixar’s Coco. Even more interestingly, nine out of 12 times, the winner of the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature has gone on to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, which puts Spider-Verse in a prime place as awards season rumbles on.

Credit: ew.com

On 1/7/2019 at 9:39 AM, J.T. said:

It beat out Incrdibles 2, Isle of Dogs and Mirai, so this is fucking HUGE.  

The Oscars are going to get very interesting when it comes to this category.  It will not be Pixar's award to walk away with this year.

Not really.  This should be Spider-Man's to lose.  Incredibles 2 was merely okay.  Isle of Dogs was pretentious nonsense.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not really.  This should be Spider-Man's to lose.  Incredibles 2 was merely okay.  Isle of Dogs was pretentious nonsense.  

Doesn't the Academy like pretentious nonsense, though?

On 1/9/2019 at 7:44 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Generally in the Animated Feature category they just like "whatever Pixar put out this year"

That's right. Best Animated Feature Academy Award was introduced in 2001. Pixar's won 9,  3 for Disney and 1 for Studio Ghibli, Aardman and Dreamworks. Bull that The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie didn't get nominated, especially the former.

What Spiders do you want in the sequel to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?

Mine:

Peter B Parker/Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales' Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, the Spectacular Spider-Man from the cartoon of the same name (I can dream) and Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman.