DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

17 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Sitting at 74 for 74 now. I've seen a reviewer who has basically said this is one of only 5 times he left a theater completely blown away, joining Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T, Star Wars, and Matrix. 

I honestly think I'm going to see this movie in theaters multiple times.

It's always dangerous to hold onto your immediately emotions after a movie. I often wrote my reviews straight after a screening which, in hindsight, was not good, as I now look back at some cringe worthy opinions (like being moved by Regarding Henry for one).

• Like 1

I know none of you care, but I already like Into the Spider-Verse because Nike is releasing a pair of Jordan 1s this Saturday and they don't do J1 drops that often (there's been maybe a handful this year).

Thank you, Miles Morales.

A couple more negative reviews dropped, total up to 3. However, the positives are now sitting at 185.  And even more impressive then that, Metascore rating still at 8.8. Black Panther who put up a similar RT score (Spidey at 98, Panther at 97) only put up a 8.3.

Tons of people have just been giving the "Please go see this movie" spiel to me. I'm going to see it tomorrow and I almost expect that I'm going to want to see it in theaters at least 2 more times. I just hope this is as special as it's being described to me.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Was it just me or did this Prowler design seem very old school Spawn?

The creators have said that they wanted to represent the idea of converging dimensions by cherry picking from the various illustration styles from the comics and animation styles from the various cartoon shows.

I LOVE the concept and it sounds like the execution was note perfect.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The creators have said that they wanted to represent the idea of converging dimensions by cherry picking from the various illustration styles from the comics and animation styles from the various cartoon shows.

That is definitely true, especially for us old nerds. #FNSM

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That is definitely true, especially for us old nerds. #FNSM

That's why I really don't pay attention to the negative reviews that complain about the quality of the animation. 

If one of the Spider Men had come from the Spidey and Amazing Friends cartoon show, his representation would look like exactly like it was drawn in the 80's.

That reminds me.  If there was a callback to Videoman in the upcoming Spidey movie (maybe Peter playing an IOS game while he is on the bus?) I would lose my shit.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Seeing this in the next hour!

Really enjoyed it. Fun seeing Spider-Gwen on the big screen as a fan of the character since her debut in 2014. You need to see this for the story, humour and the visuals. The visuals are some of the best I've seen at a cinema.

Good god did I love the ever loving hell out of this movie.

Okay, first regular thoughts then spoiler discussion. I'm not sure if there has ever been a movie that has made me burst out laughing over a dozen times and almost bring me to tears multiple times before this way. The pains hit god damned hard, the laughes are a plenty, and they had me with them the entire way. I loved all the Spider-People, the bad guys were intimidating, the animation is... just insanely good. Fuck me, this movie is great 

I do wish I didn't know the Prowler thing before it actually went down. That was such a well done scene, and it gets taken away from a bit when you know it's coming. I also feel like the movie could have used just a tiny bit more of Penni Parker. Everyone I have seen has raved about Noir and they are right, but I actually loved Penni a ton. 

The Prowler thing might have been not a surprise, but I marked out something fierce for the Octavius reveal. Holy Shit that was good stuff. 

Really though the biggest flaw I can think of for this movie is I'll never get to see it for the first time ever again

Spider-Man : Into the Spiderverse is the best movie I've seen all year.   Period.  It is now the best Spider-Man movie ever made with Spider-Man 2 having had a great run at the top for all these years.  

This movie had it all.  It was so 'New York' too.  It felt so modern day and Miles is cool as hell.  The laces on his Jordan 1's are supposed to be untied. His suit is bananas.  I loved all the little side characters of course.  The soundtrack was amazing. 

So much heart and soul put into the animation and the story.   It was hilarious.  It was sad.  It was inspiring. It was dope as fuck.   I loved me some Noir and also Spider-Gwen,  shit even Aunt Mae the characters were all awesome.  

Very well done.  Sony is on a roll this year. 

• Like 1

Spider-verse was absolutely jaw dropping. It's like the most beautiful distillation of the heart and the madness that make me love superhero comics in a way live ac will never manage. I want to start handing out tickets so my friends who might wait for video will see it as God intended.

Stan's cameo broke me for a good five minutes.

• Like 1