DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Apparently it's actually been a financial success in it's first weekend. Which, if they carry on with a Sony Marvelverse, are they going to have 2 Spider-Men? Peter Parker in the Avengers, and Miles Morales in the Sony-verse? Or is there some other alternative babyface they have the rights to? Venom and Black Cat are both heelish tweeners, aren't they?

I didn't hate it. A lot of the jokes worked for me.

The action wasn't great, was poorly edited, and a big final fight at night between an all black CGI blob and a dark grey CGI blob is not the best decision ever. I mentioned Transformers method earlier in the thread and that definitely rang true.

Tom Hardy needs to enunciate better. Which isn't a new problem for him, but it continues to bother me. Otherwise he was good. The interplay between him and the symbiote was easily the best part of the movie.

Fuck that sequel tease forever. Although I guess that's where you'd have to go with a part 2

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If the Sonyverse is going to keep pumping out trash which has no good reason to be a movie in this decade, I say they go all in and do a Ben Reilly movie. 

Starring blonde Tom Holland?

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sorry but $80M Opening says that a lot of people are still interested in Venom.  The 90's lives on...  

Oddly, the audience was only 36% over 25. Which means.... Um... Something?

So outside of the cartoons the only Venom and Carnage stories I'm familiar with are Flash's Agent Venom, Conway's maxi with Brock and an FBI team hunting Carnage down, and the first volume of Brock's return as Venom. All of those were generally solid or more. Was the stuff before those really so bad that they scarred some of you?

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

So outside of the cartoons the only Venom and Carnage stories I'm familiar with are Flash's Agent Venom, Conway's maxi with Brock and an FBI team hunting Carnage down, and the first volume of Brock's return as Venom. All of those were generally solid or more. Was the stuff before those really so bad that they scarred some of you?

It's not just that they're bad (although Maximum Carnage is all-time level bad. In the Marvel offices it was often called Maximum Garbage while it was being punished!) It's that they are endemic of a certain era and style of comics that many of us consider to be arguably the worst thing to ever happen to the industry. Grim and gritty anti-hero stuff. A character thar seemingly overnight went from wanting to eat brains to "protector of the innocent" with a new villain that was just a more extreme version of Venom, who was already a more extreme evil Spider-Man. Throw in Carnage having a body count that would make the Joker blush...

My wife's nephew saw it and described it as being similar to the Evil Dead. Couple things here...He is just a sophomore in high school and I'm not sure if he was referring to Evil Dead 2 or Ash vs the Evil Dead. Either way, the comparison got my attention way more than anything else and for being a high schooler, he normally has good taste in tv shows and movies. I wish we still had a dollar theater here because it would be perfect for that. As it is, we'd have to spend $40 to see it in the fancy theater here and for that much, I'm comfortable just waiting to buy it sight unseen.

As for Maximum Carnage, I remember that being one of the times I dipped out on regularly buying Spider-Man comics. It just got to be too much to follow and it wasn't interesting. I also earlier switched over to DC with the Death of Superman storyline and everything that followed that. I just remember riding my bike to my local comic store, flipping through whatever issue of Maximum Carnage and seeing shit like Doppleganger and wondering WTF was going on. I wouldn't be surprised If Marvel really called it Maximum Garbage. This was right around the time they filed for bankruptcy, right?

Yeah, I saw Venom over the weekend and it was fine.  I would've been fine with Venom and Tom Hardy talking shit to each other for an hour.   The post credit scene was okay.  I think that's the absolute correct actor to play Carnage.   

Though, I really would've liked a scene where the symbiote is talking to Eddie and asks him about his time in New York and Eddie brushes it off but says something like "one guy cost me my job... Parker."  

But you gotta save something for the sequel.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's not just that they're bad (although Maximum Carnage is all-time level bad. In the Marvel offices it was often called Maximum Garbage while it was being punished!) It's that they are endemic of a certain era and style of comics that many of us consider to be arguably the worst thing to ever happen to the industry. Grim and gritty anti-hero stuff. A character thar seemingly overnight went from wanting to eat brains to "protector of the innocent" with a new villain that was just a more extreme version of Venom, who was already a more extreme evil Spider-Man. Throw in Carnage having a body count that would make the Joker blush...

Ah, I can see why you might hold a slight grudge then.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, I saw Venom over the weekend and it was fine.  I would've been fine with Venom and Tom Hardy talking shit to each other for an hour.   The post credit scene was okay.  I think that's the absolute correct actor to play Carnage.   

Though, I really would've liked a scene where the symbiote is talking to Eddie and asks him about his time in New York and Eddie brushes it off but says something like "one guy cost me my job... Parker."  

But you gotta save something for the sequel.

http://collider.com/venom-spider-man-easter-eggs/

The first one occurs during the dinner date we see between Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) and Anne Weying (Michelle Williams), when Anne says to Eddie, “We don’t want a repeat of New York.” The Big Apple is, of course, where Peter Parker lives, and the entirety of Venom is largely influenced by the comics arc “Lethal Protector” which saw Venom making an agreement with Spider-Man to leave New York and move to San Francisco—where Venom takes place.

• Thanks 1