DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I understand he's not in this one. I said that long ago when people thought he might be in Venom somewhere because of how the talk on Sony's end was basically non-committal when everything from Tom Holland, Kevin Feige, and everyone else basically amounted to "not in a million years."

I don't see how that would change for a Venom sequel unless it's just idle speculation from fans, but even then I'd point to what the stance is from Disney - not in a million years.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Did you not read everyone talking about how he might be in the sequel? We know he's not in this one. Besides the fact that he crumbled into ash a few months ago.

Oh, yeah, because the Venom movie couldn't be set before Infinity War if they wanted Spider-Man in the movie. And no, I didn't read that part about you guys talking about the sequel. So sit down.

I had zero faith that they'd go as crazy as they could go with Dark Phoenix and that trailer pretty much confirms it. Also, more mopey as fuck Magneto.

Meanwhile, Thor Ragnarok had Thor get shot across the galaxy, wind up on a trash planet, there were scenes that would make for awesome black light posters, it had space prostitutes, Thor fought Hulk, Jeff Goldblum was at his Jeff Goldblum-iest, they blew up a whole planet, and there's way more I'm not even thinking of.

Like, you can take chances with these movies. Wild and crazy as fuck chances and the bigger chances you take and the crazier you get the more likely you are to succeed.

Meanwhile, here's good ol' Fox making the same fucking movie over and over and over and over again. Days of Future Past stands out the most and I hesitate to even include Deadpool or its sequel in the discussion because that movie is such a unicorn in a bland as fuck landscape.

• Like 1

I still have hope that they're holding back all the space stuff and Jessica Chastain is Lilandra as previously rumored, etc.  Most of the stuff we're seeing in the trailer looks very Act 1-ish to me.

That said, they definitely made a weird choice to pitch this on the characters as opposed to making a big splash to wash the taste of Apocalypse out of people's mouths.  It's just like, hey, if you like these characters, here's more of them.  A First Class movie for diehards of the First Class franchise.  But based on how Apocalypse went down, I don't think there are that many of them.

It's almost like Fox is punting on mass appeal with this one.  Which I guess makes some business sense, as they're not going to be reaping any long-term rewards if this turns out to be successful anyway.  I bet they spend the minimum on marketing this movie.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I still have hope that they're holding back all the space stuff and Jessica Chastain is Lilandra as previously rumored, etc.  Most of the stuff we're seeing in the trailer looks very Act 1-ish to me.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Seems pretty obvious that Chastain is Emma Frost.

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Emma Frost was revealed as dead in DOFP.

The glorious thing about the X-Men movies is they don't give a fuck about continuity. Not saying she is playing Emma, just that they've thrown away a lot of established things from film to film

52 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Early unofficial reviews have it that the script is terrible, the whole thing feels like something from before Iron Man, and that Tom Hardy is over the top in the best way.

Like a turd in the wind.

• Like 2

Distilling what I have gleaned from a few reviews, it seems like Hardy, Ahmed, and Harrelson do the best they can with what they had.

I would be willing to bet that the best materiel is the 40 minutes that Sony trimmed from the initial cut so it wouldn't be Rated R.

The second act of the movie feels gutted and rushed. Tom Hardy's performance is decent. Does Venom look cool? Yeah. But I always hated Venom as a hero and antihero. This movie doesn't prove why Venom works outside of being the evil Spider-Man, which is when Venom worked best. 

Why start a Venom franchise when he can't even interact with Spider-Man? It's stupid. Sony Pictures makes this landmark deal with Marvel Studios, why not collaborate with them on a Venom story or figure out how to make Venom work? Don't get it. 

Some of the reviews and reactions are making this seem like a trainwreck or dumpster fire or Catwoman 2.0. IMHO, the movie is far from being any of that, but it's not really a good movie either.

Venom is basically like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch without any of the growth or character development. 

Well, with any luck, this will do poorly (down to 26 on RT!)  and Sony will finally give up and sell the rest of the IP to Disney and whatever happens in Infinity War 2 will cause the entire Marvel-verse to be united. 

• Like 2