DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

On 4/19/2018 at 11:59 AM, Ace said:

The more I see of DP2, the less enthused I am about seeing it.

I'm just the opposite.  More I see, more interested I get.  And I have no interest in Deadpool or superhero movies in general.

Side note: if someone had asked me ten or fifteen years ago to come up with a list of characters I was sure would never be in a Marvel movie.... Shatterstar might well have been on that list.

Has Longshot been in a Marvel movie (not that I remember, but that doesn't prove much)?  If not, yeesh..

I'm definitely interested in Deadpool 2, but I always worry that with a film like that with a sequel if they can really recapture what made the original so good or still make something good. 

And especially with humor in this genre, it can be a very tough thing and making it all land the way it should. 

Like in the comics, too much Deadpool makes him become tiresome. Some years back, Marvel really OD'ed on the Deadpool, it felt like, and this was years before the movie even finally came out.

1. That trailer is badsss.

2. Happy to see that Sony seems to have done Venom some justice while shedding his links to Spidey.

3. The only problem with using the symbiote gimmick in a vacuum is that it telegraphs Carnage as the introductory villain.  The other symbiote villains like Toxin and Hybrid just don't have the name recognition or the wow factor to be the first antagonist out of the gate.

3.  They are introducing Ann Weying / She-Venom as a character, so my guess is that she could be the BBEG in the sequel after this movie makes all of the money on its opening weekend.

5. So, Venom is not so much Venom as he is Alex Mercer from the video game, [PROTOTYPE].  I can dig that.

6. Yeah, that is definitely Rated R violence in that trailer.  FUCK YEAH~!

The way Tom Hardy asks Riz Ahmed that question about killing people sounds like it's literally the first time he's ever asked a question.  Like, he's not even sure asking questions is a thing.  He's just trying it out.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, EVA said:

The way Tom Hardy asks Riz Ahmed that question about killing people sounds like it's literally the first time he's ever asked a question.  Like, he's not even sure asking questions is a thing.  He's just trying it out.

Yeah.  His line delivery does make Eddie Brock sound like a pretty shit reporter.

Outing the leaker in the convenience store within earshot / eyeshot of potential bad guys who were undoubtedly keeping her under surveillance was also not very bright of him.

So much for the reporter's credo of protecting the anonymity of your sources.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

2. Happy to see that Sony seems to have done Venom some justice while shedding his links to Spidey.

How does that work? Venom's only interesting as an evil version of Spidey, something that seems to have become an obligatory part of every hero's rogues' gallery. And his personality is entirely defined by his obsession with Spider-Man.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yeah.  His line delivery does make Eddie Brock sound like a pretty shit reporter.

Isn't Eddie being a shit reporter an important part of his origin?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

How does that work?

I guess we will have to see.

Venom's only interesting as an evil version of Spidey, something that seems to have become an obligatory part of every hero's rogues' gallery.

I'll have to watch the trailer again, but it doesn't even look like there is a spider insignia on the symbiote's exterior so it looks like they really are removing all links to Venom being associated with Spider-Man.

Isn't Eddie being a shit reporter an important part of his origin?

This Eddie Brock is in his own setting, so he's not beholden to his comic book origin.

On the contrary, this Eddie Brock appears to have the trappings of a successful and relentless investigative journalist and he will stereotypically stick his nose someplace where it doesn't belong and wind up being a guinea pig in the symbiote experimentation program that turns him into the titular anti-hero.

Hence my sarcasm concerning his journalism skills being kinda crap for a character that will probably have the reputation of someone who is really good at his job.

His apartment in the trailer looks like crap, but his financial situation could be attributed to his divorce rather than his aptitude in his profession.

Is this origin change as dumb as Darren Aranofsky's proposed Batman: Year One?  No, but it's close

Loosely based on Frank Miller's Batman: Year One Aronofsky's script took even more liberties than Miller's version. For example, after the death of his parents Bruce went to live above the car garage owned by Big Al, and his son Little Al. Little Al eventually becomes Bruce's mentor (Alfred) after Big Al dies. A Lincoln Continental becomes the first Batmobile and the first Batman costume is just a hockey mask and a cape. In Bruce's first vigilante attempt he leaves the insignia "TW" on his victim's faces. But the world thinks the TW is actually a bat symbol (because apparently Bruce has terrible handwriting). Thus the Batman is born.

If you had to detach Venom from Spider-Man, there's probably a pretty good hook for Brock as a reporter tied to the whole fake news thing in 2018. Given who Venom's usual fanbase is (the Punisher/Batman/Wolverine crowd, that's most likely to be anti-inclusion), if Venom is suddenly a Jim Acosta who the government has somehow framed and that goes a little nuts and over the top when merged with the Symbiote, I would absolutely watch that movie.

• Like 2

Whoever called out the comparison to Prototype nailed it. That's totally what this is if you strip Venom of the connection to Spider-Man. I also don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Whoever called out the comparison to Prototype nailed it. That's totally what this is if you strip Venom of the connection to Spider-Man. I also don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

That was me!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 9:48 AM, EVA said:

Finally saw the trailer in question last night and that sounded a lot more like multiple takes/lines used that were edited down to make the trailer. Either the line's not even going to be in the movie, or it will be a longer set of back-and-forth with the response as the capper.

Last night's Legion was a rare misstep for the series. It focused way too much on misdirection and absurd visuals instead of doing something with narrative meaning, and I'm curious how we get to David in the position he's in the preview for next week's episode.

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In all fairness, I've always found the show to be far more sizzle than steak. So it was par for the course for me. 

I've always found what it does visually to be interesting. You're right in that it's a series that's not too concerned with how much you care about most of the characters including its protagonist. In most cases, that's a turnoff for me (Walking Dead is a great example of this), but for some reason, the interesting stuff the show does visually is a large enough distraction that it works. I thought last week's nightmarish Groundhog Day style episode was a really strong entry.