DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

As mentioned in the Movies thread, Disney is in talks to buy 20th Century Fox from the Fox Media Corporation.

The Marvel things that are not Marvel things may soon be Marvel things.

Could be good news for lovers of all things X-Men and possibly bad things for people that want Deadpool to remain unapologetically Rated R.

People are getting so excited about the news that they miss the important part.

The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment

Also, Fox doesn't own the rights to the Fantastic Four. It's loaned out to them each time by Constantin Films to make these movies, so Constantin don't lose their film rights. I'm sure that contract would just revert to Marvel if this did happen, but it's at their discretion when they want to do a movie with those characters. But, Disney has shown that they ultimately get what they want, and drowning them in money or litigation isn't out of the question.

Kang the Conqueror making an appearance at the end of GotG Vol. 3 to inform them of Adam Warlock's transformation into Magus would make everyone lose their fucking minds, probably.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

.Kang the Conqueror making an appearance at the end of GotG Vol. 3 to inform them of Adam Warlock's transformation into Magus would make everyone lose their fucking minds, probably.

Most MCU Nerds are in agreement that Kang should be the MCU BBEG in a post Thanos universe should the studio be bold enough to nuke the Mad Titan at the conclusion of the Infinity War.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’d rather have Rama Tut or Immortus than Kang. 

That is because you are old.

20 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Is there a scenario where they get access to Kang but not Dr. Doom? If not, why would Kang be in the running for top bad guy of the MCU?

Kang's time travel badassery makes him a more cosmic level threat.

I like Doom, but if The Avengers can dislodge Fenris out of Sokovia, thwart an alien invasion, and keep the Army of Ultron from asteroid nuking the planet, they could coup Doom's ass out of Latveria if they set their minds to putting him on the shelf.

14 hours ago, Casey said:

Meanwhile, you have Galactus, who eats fucking planets, and somehow he's not the #1 choice for the ultimate big bad.

The problem with presenting Galactus as a BBEG is that it is easier to portray him as being indifferent rather than malevolent.

In a theatrical format, I think it is easier to boo a bad guy that has a legit mean streak.  I think that is why Thanos has endured for as long as he has and has nearly overshadowed the DC BBEG he was obviously cribbed from aka Darkseid.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:31 PM, Casey said:

Meanwhile, you have Galactus, who eats fucking planets, and somehow he's not the #1 choice for the ultimate big bad.

He is more or less a cosmic force of nature opposed to an actual villain.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Sony are making a Morbius movie.  I bet it never starts shooting.  If it does, I REALLY hope they give him the gross hand holes to steal blood from the 90s cartoon because that is objectively more terrifying than biting necks.

No, that shit is so from the Salt Vampire from Star Trek.

My dream booking is that they keep Morbius traditional and either go with the batshit insane Cat People / Arcturus IV space opera stuff as a story angle or start up a Horror MCU deal with Morbius, Blade, Brother Voodoo, Ghost Rider and Man-Thing and make an Avenger-ish franchise out of the Midnight Sons.

You could use Crown or Lilith or the Nine as BBEGs for the Midnight Sons mega team-up.

Sony might not be able to use Brother Voodoo since Marvel / Disney killed off his brother in Doctor Strange, so Disney / Marvel obviously still owns the license to that character.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'd rather X-Men stay with Fox because of recent willingness to go for higher certification/mature material movies as seen in Deadpool, Logan and The Untitled Deadpool Sequel. The X series has more hits overall than misses.

Care a little about the Fantastic Four as I've read few books with them in. Doctor Doom is the biggie from the 4 rights. With Fox messing the 4 franchise up, let the MCU have 'em.