DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Young Cable looks kinda familiar.

Dunno who it is, but it's Brolin's stunt double. Maybe he's popped up in something in a small role before?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Anyone watch The Gifted yet?

I haven't but I am DVR'ing it, so I'll eventually get to it.

I've watched both episodes and it has been pretty decent.  It is more of a superpowered fugitive type show than a super hero show.  It is not as fun as most of the other super hero shows on television, but it is a good alternative.  

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

The Fuck?

It's just another comic book superhero haunted house asylum film based on the old New Mutants comics why are you so confused.....

But seriously... The fuck?

14 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

I'm of two minds.  It's nice to have a superhero film that isn't in the normal action adventure mold, BUT this kinda screams low-cost-never-use-their-powers film-making.

Illyana and Rahne have spot-on looks, though.

Thought that was Illyana. Is Maise playing Rahne? And is that supposed to be Dany Moonstar? 

Bad thing is I recognize none of the male characters. 

What I will say is this: Using the idea of Danielle Moonstar's powers being used by someone for their own ends is an interesting story idea. So I can see how someone would look at that and say "this is what we are doing" and getting it approved.

I mean, the New Mutants power list is kinda like a horror film setup. Danielle Moonstar with the ability to make peoples worst fears manifest. Rahne is basically a Werewolf. Magik might be based on her teleportation ability, but at the end of the day she's still an incredibly powerful sorcerer, and you can use the "Ruler of Limbo" ark as it goes.

If any major comic book grouping could set up an actual horror based franchise, the New Mutants... might be the best bet?

I'm intrigued by the New Mutant's movie. I really like that they're doing something different with the superhero genre. Doing a super-hero horror movie probably makes me more interested than if it was just another young X-Men movie.

• Like 3

The more I think about it, the more I hope The New Mutants makes a ton of cash.

That way Marvel and DC / Vertigo will get formulaic and revisit their horror-themed content and convert it to movies or television series.

I could stand to see a Midnight Sons spin-off from Agents of SHIELD or maybe see DC's The Witching Hour on Hulu.  At the very least, DC could take IZombie and something else and build a comic book movie horror block on CW.

Dafne Keen is in talks to reprise her role as Laura / X-23 in a spin-off movie from Logan.

No word on if Laura will carry the plot on her own or if she will lead a team of New X-Men.