DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I still haven't given Last Stand a day in court, but I finally tried watching Origins around the time Logan came out. Yeesh. Even removing any consideration of the screenplay, it looks cheap and shitty. Logan's claws actually look worse than they do in the first X-men. It's like they knew they had a clunker on their hands and decided to skimp on post productions costs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Either I'm going senile or something, or Spider-Man 3 has aged incredibly well. I legitimately enjoying it way more than I expected.

I maintain it's the one that most feels like the comics. If you ended it on the Venom reveal then did a sequel where Venom does the classic stalking and loses a first fight leading to the same finale I think it would be way more fondly remembered.

He quit, but he was just quitting before they fired him.  Sony already had the 1st draft of ASM written before he even walked away.  And they did it using the same writer who was working with Raimi on SM4, so of course, he knew.

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

That was part of it, but the flip was that Sony really didn't like his pitch for Spider-man 4 and got real wishy washy after the critical and fan reception of Spider-man 3. Basically by the end no one was happy with it and it's probably for the best that it died.

Watching 3 today, I'm no longer sure it was for the best. It's a revaluation, but I think I like it more now than I do either of Webb's films.

I noticed a couple of missing minor things from the Editor's Cut, but nothing major. But I hadn't watched the movie in the years.

7 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

That was part of it, but the flip was that Sony really didn't like his pitch for Spider-man 4 and got real wishy washy after the critical and fan reception of Spider-man 3. Basically by the end no one was happy with it and it's probably for the best that it died.

What was the pitch for Spidey 4?

Raimi wanted to do a Vulture/Lizard movie with a bunch of lesser villain cameos, including Bruce Campbell as Mysterio. It went through a ton of rewrites, no one was happy with it, and they were already planning to reboot it after 4 anyway, so they just scrapped it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Raimi wanted to do a Vulture/Lizard movie with a bunch of lesser villain cameos, including Bruce Campbell as Mysterio. It went through a ton of rewrites, no one was happy with it, and they were already planning to reboot it after 4 anyway, so they just scrapped it. 

Raimi even introduced Dr. Curt Conners in Spider Man 2 to set the stage for The Lizard to appear in another film.

Raimi also introduces JJJ's astronaut son into the storyline in Spidey 2, but I'd have been okay if The Man-Wolf had never shown up on screen.

As far as Mysterio goes, Raimi wanted scenes in Spider Man 3 and 4 where Spidey apprehended C and D list villains like Shocker, Prowler, Mysterio and The Rhino, but those ideas were torepedoed in favor of the Special Guest Villains of the Week format.

The script for Spider Man 2 got a re-write so that the name of Bruce Campbell's usher (Quentin Blake / Mysterio) was taken out.

TBH, it looks like we're getting Spidey 4 in the form of Spidey; Homecoming since it was Raimi's idea to portray the Vulture as Spidey's most lethal adversary and Vulture looks quite badass and totally ruthless in the trailers..

45 minutes ago, J.T. said:

TBH, it looks like we're getting Spidey 4 in the form of Spidey; Homecoming since it was Raimi's idea to portray the Vulture as Spidey's most lethal adversary and Vulture looks quite badass and totally ruthless in the trailers..

I dunno.  The trailers I've seen make it look like Iron Man is the villain.  Or maybe Spidey's the villain it's really Iron Man 4 with a bad working title?

The trailers haven't made Vulture look badass to me.  Or made me want to see the film.

I kinda like ASM 3.

I kinda hate RDJ being showcased in everything, but I'm at a loss as to why you'd consider Iron Man to be the villain and I also cannot think of a better character to teach the clothes do not make the man lesson to Young Peter Parker than a guy who gets his abilities via a suit of power armor.

The best way to do Venom would have been to have Venom be the main villain in Spider-Man 4. Sony had to push a villain that Raimi hated onto him and Raimi wound up torpedoing and basically sabotaging the whole movie as a result. I thought Sandman was an incredibly shitty villain for Spider-Man to fight and the casting felt like another Sony push because Thomas Haden Church just received a lot of acclaim for Sideways.

I've said this before and so have others, but 3 really should have been Kraven's Last Hunt. It's a shame that we still haven't had Kraven as a big screen bad guy. And then you have Kraven doing his thing while introducing Eddie Brock and his backstory. Hell, you can still do the black suit too. The movie ends with Eddie in the church, just like in 3, with the symbiote attaching itself to Eddie. Final scene is of Peter and MJ doing whatever. Post-credits scene is Eddie in distress before turning to the screen with the classic giant Venom jaw and tongue dangling out. Then you just go with a different director for 4 since Raimi didn't want to deal with it and didn't want to do Venom and Venom is the big bad guy in 4.

You know what? Scrap all of the Kraven shit and still just do Sandman and everything else I mentioned. I know I'm not alone in this because a bunch of others mentioned that this would have been the right way to do it too. No matter what, Sandman should have been the villain and Spidey would have to fight himself and his urges with the black suit. You tease Venom at the end and then Venom is the big bad with anyone else directing 4.

• Like 1

When I heard that Raimi was going for a "darker tone" for Spidey 3, I just KNEW it was going to be Kraven's Last Hunt.  Boy was I wrong.  I was sooo ready to see Gerald Butler in a lion suit and leopard print pants.

Church did as admirable a job with what he was given; he looked the part and played the role.  IMO, Raimi wanted that movie to tank and it did.

While I am happy that Guardians of the Galaxy has pulled Disney / Marvel away from aping the TDK "only pessimistic super hero movies can be good" mentality, the new lightheartedness probably means we'll never see a Disney / Marvel adaptation of Kraven's Last Hunt for the new kid.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I kinda hate RDJ being showcased in everything, but I'm at a loss as to why you'd consider Iron Man to be the villain and I also cannot think of a better character to teach the clothes do not make the man lesson to Young Peter Parker than a guy who gets his abilities via a suit of power armor.

Well, i was joking, but, in all seriousness, the trailers mostly show RDJ lecturing Pete and Pete reacting- "Can't you just be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?" "This is all your fault." - while some sort of guy in metal armor flies around, mostly in the background.  For me, anyway, the trailers don't give you a good sense of who the villains are or what the action is like.  It's a lot of Peter and Tony talking.

I'd mark for a good adaption of Kraven's Last Hunt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

. For me, anyway, the trailers don't give you a good sense of who the villains are or what the action is like.  It's a lot of Peter and Tony talking.

Well, Michael Keaton does get in that good line of "Don't mess with me. Because I will kill you and anyone you care about,," so we have a pretty good idea of how vicious The Vulture will be.

I think there is a lot of Peter and Tony talking and mum on other elements in order to save the best stuff for the theater.

If the opposite were true, we'd all be moaning about how we don't have to bother going to see the movie since Disney / Marvel spilled all of the good stuff in a three minute trailer.

43 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When I heard that Raimi was going for a "darker tone" for Spidey 3, I just KNEW it was going to be Kraven's Last Hunt.  Boy was I wrong.  I was sooo ready to see Gerald Butler in a lion suit and leopard print pants.

Church did as admirable a job with what he was given; he looked the part and played the role.  IMO, Raimi wanted that movie to tank and it did.

While I am happy that Guardians of the Galaxy has pulled Disney / Marvel away from aping the TDK "only pessimistic super hero movies can be good" mentality, the new lightheartedness probably means we'll never see a Disney / Marvel adaptation of Kraven's Last Hunt for the new kid.

It's not just your opinion. Raimi said as much when he was on the Nerdist podcast about a year ago. I think it was the first time he copped to it.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I would say Sony still having the rights means we will never see Kraven's Last Hunt.

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's not just your opinion. Raimi said as much when he was on the Nerdist podcast about a year ago. I think it was the first time he copped to it.

I always knew that motherfucker did it on purpose after hearing he never liked Venom.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...