DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Reason?  I'm struggling to think of a reason why having a popular, in-demand Academy Award winner would be a bad thing?

Just guessing: because it's a weird inversion to have X-Men movies with Mystique as the main heroic protagonist?

• Like 1

She's complained about doing the movies a lot.

But they had previously claimed they agreed it would be all or nothing. Either all four of them were coming back or none of them, and keeping Fassbender is, imo, easily the most important thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Reason?  I'm struggling to think of a reason why having a popular, in-demand Academy Award winner would be a bad thing?

She always feels uninterested and uninspired. Also don't feel her or even Fassbender are necessary for Dark Phoenix. The focus really needed to switch to the kids. Hopefully they at least delve into Mystique being Nightcrawler's mother.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But they had previously claimed they agreed it would be all or nothing. Either all four of them were coming back or none of them, and keeping Fassbender is, imo, easily the most important thing.

Honestly, outside of McAvoy & Fassbender I really never cared much for any of the First Class crew.

• Like 1

First Class really doesn't hold up very well. 

I think it mostly was because we all overrated it as a response to Last Stand and Origins. 

But DoFP is still fucking awesome

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So according to comicbook.com, McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence and Hoult, along with at least most of the kids from Apocalypse, are coming back for Dark Phoenix.

Rumored that Jessica Chastain will play Lilandra as well.

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was really hoping Lawrence would stay away.

You will welcome J Law with open arms once you see who is directing this thing.

Spoiler

Simon Kinberg aka the director of X-Men:  The Last Stand.

RIP, X-Men do over.

I suppose it's fitting that the man that killed the first iteration of the X-Men franchise kills the reboot by using his preferred weapon, Dark Phoenix..

7 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Why does everyone think Kinberg directed Last Stand?  The industry papers are all saying this is his first movie.

PTSD from Brett Ratner. The brain has reworked itself to eliminate the memory of Ratner directed movies. According to IMDB, Kinberg is credited as one of the writers for Last Stand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Why does everyone think Kinberg directed Last Stand?  The industry papers are all saying this is his first movie.

Kinberg was one of the writers for Last Stand.

After a successful reboot and a near death bullet like Apocalypse, why in the world would you bring on anyone associated with the film that killed your first franchise dead?

Hell, I wouldn't even bring the fucking key grips or the catering service from Last Stand back for Dark Phoenix?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

First Class really doesn't hold up very well. 

I think it mostly was because we all overrated it as a response to Last Stand and Origins. 

But DoFP is still fucking awesome

Yeah, this was always the feeling I got even back then. I always felt it was a mediocre movie carried to be decent or more by Fassbender, McAvoy, and to a lesser extent Bacon (who I still want to be Mr. Sinister).

Honestly, I have no idea how Kinsberg will do as director. I still feel the biggest problem here is that they are jumping too far ahead doing this instead of taking the time to build up the new kids in the minds of the audience because I will say straight up that Apocalypse did not do the job.

Plus, he only has a writing credit on Last Stand and doesn't start producing until First Class. Honestly, lots of people make shitty franchise movies, few go back and course correct successfully afterwards like he has. 

20 hours ago, Matt D said:

Just guessing: because it's a weird inversion to have X-Men movies with Mystique as the main heroic protagonist?

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

She always feels uninterested and uninspired. Also don't feel her or even Fassbender are necessary for Dark Phoenix. The focus really needed to switch to the kids. Hopefully they at least delve into Mystique being Nightcrawler's mother.

Honestly, outside of McAvoy & Fassbender I really never cared much for any of the First Class crew.

I concur with all this.

Few weeks ago I watched X-Men: Apocalypse for the first time. The worst of the prequel trilogy and going further, I'd have it 8th or 9th out of the Fox Mutants films. Very few positives.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

I concur with all this.

Few weeks ago I watched X-Men: Apocalypse for the first time. The worst of the prequel trilogy and going further, I'd have it 8th or 9th out of the Fox Mutants films. Very few positives.

I don't think it's great, but I have it pretty easily above Origins and Last Stand, above First Class, and maybe above X-Men. Probably below The Wolverine (definitely below the extended cut) and well below Deadpool, Logan, DoFP and X2.

So more middle of the pack than bottom tier in my mind.

• Like 2

As someone who found First Class to be a real mixed bag, it was far better than Apocalypse.

I think I even liked Origins more. I dunno if it was actually better, but eh.

They really just wrecked Apocalypse by making him too overpowered, leading to a final battle that involved swirling garbage and a bunch of random attacks on a force field until deus ex machina. If they played him more like Apocalypse classic where he's hugely powerful but physical attacks and teamwork can get there and thus his Horsemen are more necessary it would have been great. Instead we got the Fox version of Suicide Squad: A lot of interesting characters moving in one direction without a whole lot to keep things interesting until a final action sequence where the villains are impossible to so much as hurt until the plot says they aren't anymore. Only Suicide Squad had interesting characters to keep me invested where this had Magneto and Charles and Raven doing diminishing returns on the emotional beats of the last two films in the series.

It's basically competent but my god is it uninteresting, which is so, so disappointing. Give me an ambitious or interesting bad movie over a bland middling one any day.

• Like 2

So Sony is saying that those Spider-Verse films are set in the same universe as Homecoming, and Holland might even appear in the movies. While Amy Pascal said all this, Keven Feige sat there looking stunned or confused.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2017 at 7:47 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

As someone who found First Class to be a real mixed bag, it was far better than Apocalypse.

I think I even liked Origins more. I dunno if it was actually better, but eh.

They really just wrecked Apocalypse by making him too overpowered, leading to a final battle that involved swirling garbage and a bunch of random attacks on a force field until deus ex machina. If they played him more like Apocalypse classic where he's hugely powerful but physical attacks and teamwork can get there and thus his Horsemen are more necessary it would have been great. Instead we got the Fox version of Suicide Squad: A lot of interesting characters moving in one direction without a whole lot to keep things interesting until a final action sequence where the villains are impossible to so much as hurt until the plot says they aren't anymore. Only Suicide Squad had interesting characters to keep me invested where this had Magneto and Charles and Raven doing diminishing returns on the emotional beats of the last two films in the series.

It's basically competent but my god is it uninteresting, which is so, so disappointing. Give me an ambitious or interesting bad movie over a bland middling one any day.

I agree with your criticisms. My X-Men ranking be something like:

1. X2 (2003)

2. Deadpool (2016)

3. Logan (2017)

4. X-Men (2000)

5. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

6. X-Men: First Class (2011)

7. The Wolverine (2013)

8. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)

9. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

I'm looking forward to see what a second viewing of Logan when it hits DVD does for me, if anything. Both that and Deadpool are so different to one another and comic book films, it's hard to rank/compare them. X2 still maintains it's grasp on the top spot but is also one of the best comic book films period. The Nightcrawler opening, the Weapon X flashbacks, the Mansion siege, X-Men having to work with their enemies in Magneto/Mystique and Wolvie vs. Lady Deathstrike.

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So Sony is saying that those Spider-Verse films are set in the same universe as Homecoming, and Holland might even appear in the movies. While Amy Pascal said all this, Keven Feige sat there looking stunned or confused.

Sony Pictures going Sony Pictures.

• Like 1

10 X-Men Origins: Wolverine

9. X-Men: The Last Stand

8. X-Men: First Class

7. X-Men

6. X-Men: Apocalypse

5. The Wolverine*

4. Deadpool

3. X-Men: Days Of Future Past*

2. X2: X-Men United

1. Logan

*Extended cuts of both. Theatrical would probably drop The Wolverine and maybe DOFP each down a spot.

• Like 1

1. Deadpool
  2. X-Men: Days Of Future Past
  3. The Wolverine
  4. Logan
  5. X-Men
  6. X-Men: Apocalypse
  7. X-Men: First Class
  8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  9. X-Men: The Last Stand

I'm not ranking X2 because its been too long since I've watched it. Never seen the extended cuts for the Wolverine or DOFP.

• Like 1