DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Fox and Disney / Marvel have struck a deal. 

In exchange for Fox releasing Ego The Living Planet from the Fantastic Four license bundle for use in GoTG2, Marvel jailbroke the creative clause preventing Fox from utilizing literary license with Negasonic Teenage Warhead which allows Fox to develop the character as they see fit, including restoring her powers to the comic book defaults.

That answers the bitching and moaning about why her powers in the Deadpool movie weren't in synch with the comics; the changes weren't approved by Marvel.

17 minutes ago, Ace said:

NTW appeared in one whole issue before she died. Her only other appearance was an illusion in Emma Frost's head.

Precisely why I am not so sure why there needed to be such an uproar over how she was presented in the movies, but fans and insanity and shit, y'know?

I'll be fine with Reynolds controlling the film so long as we get the following:

- An animated "Lil' Wade" introducing the film and popping up every 15 minutes or so to offer wacky commentary on what's going on.

- A sniper rifle hidden inside a robot sheep.

- Vanessa turns out to be a mutant herself and transforms into Copycat.

- Weasel suggests that Wade will be approached by an inter-dimensional legal firm called Landau, Luckman, & Lake who will reveal to him that he is actually the "Chosen One" who will be responsible for allowing a Cosmic Entity to come to Earth and enslave all of humanity into a hive mind consciousness and Wade rejects this and screws over his own destiny.  Wade then comments "that sounds fucking stupid."

- Weasel suggests that Wade should change his codename to "Agent X" and Wade suggests "that sounds even more fucking stupid."

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

If Fox has to get Marvel's approval to change power sets, how did it work for Wolverine 2 with Silver Samurai and Viper?

The concept of the Silver Samurai made its first appearance in Daredevil, even though the Silver Samurai most people are familiar with is most associated with the X-Men.  If we're splitting legal hairs, Marvel can still claim primary ownership of Silver Samurai since they still hold the license to Daredevil.

Not being privy to what actually went down. I can only assume that there was a bit of legal wrangling between Marvel and Fox that compelled Fox to diverge the concept into two separate entities (the bodyguard,  Kenuichio Harada and the SS robot) in Wolverine 2: 

Also remember that the Viper we're talking about killed the first Viper and assumed his gimmick and later on became Madame Hydra.  The character is most noted as nemesis to Nick Fury, so most likely her license is still primarily owned by Marvel and Fox probably needed permission to use Viper and Marvel got to choose what Fox could and couldn't use as far as appearance / powers go.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

OK but if Fox didn't own Silver Samurai, that implies they needed to offer something in return to use the character in Wolverine 2.

If the Ego for NTW deal is an indicator of how content licenses are handled, Fox probably needed to offer something to Marvel from one of their licenses in return for being able to use Silver Samurai in the manner they wanted to in The Wolverine.

Given how SS was handled in The Wolverine, I can only speculate that Marvel gave them permission to use SS but not the creative license to use SS in the manner appeared in the comics.

Why Fox did not fight for total rights for SS or Viper at the time of production is beyond me.  Maybe Fox didn't feel compelled to portray SS or Viper verbatim as per the comics?  Maybe Fox wanted to establish their own unique concepts for SS and Viper? 

Maybe Marvel wanted to reserve the right to use Madame Hydra in a future Captain America movie, Agents of SHIELD or something else so they didn't want to totally hand the freedom of concept for Viper over to Fox?

Perhaps at the time that Fox was working on The Wolverine, Marvel did not feel that it needed any concepts from Fox's licensees so Fox really didn't have anything to offer Marvel in exchange for free creative license to the Silver Samurai or Viper?

This last one seems to make the most sense given the timing.  Ego plays a central role in GoTG2 and that movie on track to make unbelievable amounts of bank, so why not give Fox license to use NTW in exchange for Ego so that Gunn gets the content he wants so that he can put out the super blockbuster that Disney / Marvel wants?

NTW is pretty central to the Deadpool story and the sequel to Deadpool is on track to make a mint for Fox, so it makes sense for Fox to give Marvel what it want so that Reynolds / Director TBD get the content they want so that they can make the off season money maker that Fox wants..

Wins all around.  Everyone is happy.

• 1 month later...

Tried watching X-Men:Apocalypse last night turned it off after Wolverine ran out into the wilderness. I went into it with very low expectations and it couldn't even meet them. Just a confused strange movie in which they really played it fast and loose with the characters and there were too many characters just thrown out there. So muddled and clunky, perhaps they should have made it a multi-part movie but I'm guessing some of the contracts would have made that a tricky issue. You could really tell most of the actors were phoning it in for a paycheck. The Quicksilver scene was about the only thing that was worth anything.

Would like to see the X-Men rights head over to Disney or for them to make an agreement like Sony did for Spider-Man and then take a break from most of the characters until after the 4th Avengers movie but Logan will make them the money and Fox did Deadpool very right and I look forward to Deadpool 2 which will also make all the money. 

That would also be acceptable. I really just want a new take on the cinematic X-Men and possibly one that takes less liberties with characters, what I like about the MCU is that they try to stay close to the characters in the books while they've been much looser in the recent x-men movies. When you're dealing with characters with as much development on paper as many of the X-Men have it's jarring and strange to re-write large parts of what makes them who they are (even if non-readers won't realize it). But like the version of Scott Summers in X-Men: Apocalypse was rather different from the one many of us have at least some familiarity with that it was kinda jarring.

I don't hate the idea of period jumping that they've been doing with the recent movies but it would be better to establish a few characters in one movie and slowly add more in the future. Also I don't think they should feel like they have to be consistent with having the same actors in the same roles every movie, cast so that the ages will be right and also let them be more like folk tale heroes (which they kind of are) they're physical appearance will change depending on who tells the story but they basics of who they are will be intact. 

That was really cool, and if I'd been on the fence (I wasn't), it would've sold me.

Amidst all that though, Patrick Stewart having hair is odd. I mean, I don't really care, but it's still weird.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eivion said:

So what did people think of Legion? I thought it was interesting though I know little of character outside of him being Xavier's son and crazy.

I think that it is awesome that the show neither confirms nor denies that David is suffering from mental illness and that his "personalities" may just be the way his mutant abilities manifest themselves.

It will also be interesting to see how David and Syd's relationship evolves.  How intimate can someone that does not feel at home in his own mind be with a woman whose mutant ability restricts her from having physical contact with anyone?

Legion cannot embrace himself, nor can he find comfort in the embrace of the woman he's in love with.

So many layers, so cleverly written, so very very much a show written by the man that gave us Fargo: The Series.. 

The off the rails start concerns me because television history is littered with shows with white hot beginnings who eventually crash and burn after jumping the proverbial shark.  The key to Legion's success may be knowing to quit when it is ahead.

• Like 1