DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I feel like Rose Byrne forgot to use an American accent while they were filming and no one on the production noticed until post. Every line of dialogue she had was  terrible ADR. 

Cute Last Stand joke.

It wasn't a bad way to spend 2+ hours at the movies. 

One of my great disappointments was how they walked back the ending of DOFP as it pertained to Wolverine.  There were so many possibilities, and they just retconned it back to the way it used to be.  And without good reason!  Beyond the obligatory Jackman cameo, of course.  The detour to Alkali Lake has no effect on anything, except they get Stryker's jet so they can fly to Egypt...but there are any number of ways they could've gotten a jet that didn't require that whole sequence. 

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Almost maybe worst post-credit sequence in modern superhero movie? 

I was forced to sit through 10 minutes of credits to see that when I had to piss like a racehorse.

• Like 1

Caught Apocalypse earlier today with the family. It was a mixed bag. I liked the stuff with Scott & Jean. Quicksilver was again a big highlight. McAvoy & Fassbender were good as usual. Angel & Psylocke were completely wasted. Havok was as well to a lesser extent. The lack of connection between Kurt and Raven was also pretty annoying. Apocalypse himself wasn't too great though not terrible. Weapon X scene felt a bit out of place and would have served better use in a different film. I'm disappointed, but it was decent enough on the whole. Still its definitely thew worst of Singer's X-films and a good step down from The Wolverine & DoFP.

The Weapon X scene would have worked better if it hadn't been in the trailer.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was forced to sit through 10 minutes of credits to see that when I had to piss like a racehorse.

See, we always leave to go to the bathroom as soon as the scrolling credits start, then sneak back in to watch the end of the credits and see if there's a post-scene there. I didn't get it at first, because I'd forgotten Mr Sinister's real surname was Essex*. Loads of idiots probably thought it was setting up a crossover with TOWIE.

* Also, that's a terrible County to have named him after. I get it, English name to sound classy intellectual to Americans, and a Southern county to make him sound privileged and entitled to English people, but... Kent would have been perfect, but it's taken, obviously. But people from Essex are renowned across Britain for being morons and bellends. It would be like having a Supervillain called Nathaniel Jerseyshore. Should have gone with Buckingham or Eton if you want to suggest he's a highborn snob. Or Windsor, fuck it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I had to get right home afterwards. I loked at my watch and thought, "this is earlier than i expected." But by time credits and sequence ended, it wasnt anymore. 

• Like 1

I saw it yesterday. I thought it was good, and I think a lot of the negativity surrounding it is more a byproduct of superhero fatigue than the film itself. I think they tried really hard to make an Avengers movie using the X Men and it mostly didn't work. Apocalypse was a pretty generic villain, which was a shame. To be honest, without characters being in peril, I didn't care about his plan. Like, the plan involved basically everyone we had been introduced to surviving, right? I wish the stakes were more personal instead of global, which I think the X Universe is better served for. 

A half hour of that movie was used to set up a cameo that served zero purpose other than fan service. 

I thought some of the choices were interesting, like giving Magneto a wife and kids (only to kill them). For a minute, i thought the daughter was going to be Lorna Dane. 

It's also funny that we have Wanda in one franchise and Pietro in the other. 

Here is my impression of the final fight:

Spoiler

McAvoy: Um, Jean, now please?

Sansa:  Oh right.   Go! Go! Gadget Phoenix!

Oscar Isaac: *dead*

Saw it. Liked it well enough, but nothing extraordinary. I'm pissed we didn't get to see Scott, Jean, Kurt and Jubilee at the mall. Especially since we know they fillmed it.

Well, I think that's one of the big problems of the movie.  It never decides on a POV.   Is it about Xavier/Magneto/Mystique and the culmination of their story, or is it about introducing the new generation and setting them up to carry the story of future movies?  It tries to have it both ways, and neither of them really get a chance to play.

And then Quicksilver shows up with his own storyline!

And the Horsemen have stories!

There are too many damn stories in this movie.

Oof.  Yeah.

And to think, I spent so much time defending Olivia Munn's acting ability leading up to this movie, and it turned out the role didn't actually require any acting.  Or anything beyond looking good in that outfit.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Oof.  Yeah.

And to think, I spent so much time defending Olivia Munn's acting ability leading up to this movie, and it turned out the role didn't actually require any acting.  Or anything beyond looking good in that outfit.

Is that a chicken and egg issue? Did they write the part first or cast her first? 

However, I should point out that, like McKellan before him, Fassbender continues to just pour everything into that role of Magneto. It's a damn good acting job.

• Like 1

Well, yeah, but he never succumbs to playing it over the top, he never feels anything other than human. 

McKellan was the same way (except a few beats in Last Stand where the script finally defeated him. Most notably the scene where he abandoned Mystique.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is that a chicken and egg issue? Did they write the part first or cast her first? 

I can't find a legit source so it's quite possibly bullshit, but I remember reading rumors that it was a last-minute substitution. "Horseman #4 isn't working in this script, who can we replace them with?" "I dunno, Psylocke?"  And Munn has made it clear that she was offered Vanessa in Deadpool, but didn't want to play 'the girlfriend.' So it could just be a confluence of circumstances.

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

Well, I think that's one of the big problems of the movie.  It never decides on a POV.   Is it about Xavier/Magneto/Mystique and the culmination of their story, or is it about introducing the new generation and setting them up to carry the story of future movies?  It tries to have it both ways, and neither of them really get a chance to play.

And then Quicksilver shows up with his own storyline!

And the Horsemen have stories!

There are too many damn stories in this movie.

A fucking MEN.

All the problems people think Marvel have...were in this goddamn movie. Jesus Christ, did that take away from my enjoyment of the film. The surprise cameo only made it seem that much more apparent.

I did like Fassbender although that's a cop out since he is one of my favorite actors.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Saw it. Liked it well enough, but nothing extraordinary. I'm pissed we didn't get to see Scott, Jean, Kurt and Jubilee at the mall. Especially since we know they fillmed it.

They not only filmed it, they were still using the footage in the TV spots the week of release.