DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

X2 is a lot of fun.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not fun.

Fun doesn't necessarily mean comedy, and that's not what the reviewers mean when they use it. They mean enjoyable, entertaining, rollicking, something that makes you smile. The berserker rage and Nightcrawler attack on the White House scenes in X2 is probably, for my money, the most fun sequences in the entire X-Men franchise (other than maybe Quicksilver's) and neither of them have a drop of comedy in them. But they are still fun.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

X2 is a lot of fun.

Fun doesn't necessarily mean comedy, and that's not what the reviewers mean when they use it. They mean enjoyable, entertaining, rollicking, something that makes you smile. The berserker rage and Nightcrawler attack on the White House scenes in X2 is probably, for my money, the most fun sequences in the entire X-Men franchise (other than maybe Quicksilver's) and neither of them have a drop of comedy in them. But they are still fun.

I haven't seen it yet but wouldn't the X-Men using their powers together and doing combos and Wolverine slicing up some baddies also be fun if that's how we are interpreting it? Isn't Wonder Woman being badass fun?  Isn't Batman kicking ass fun? 

That's why I don't think they mean it that way. I do think they mean comedy. Comedy is the thing that separates a lot of the MCU movies from the X-Men movies and BvS/MoS

I was struggling to not bring up BvS, but there was NOTHING fun about Batman in that movie. At all. It was borderline depressing actually

Wonder Woman was fun, and it was by far the best thing in the film, and probably the dongle most universally praised element. 

• Like 1

That's quite the leap considering that said stabbing and the warehouse fight happened after Superman supposedly brings Batman back to who he was as you state.

• Like 1

Which is actually the weirdest part. The idea that Superman "brought him back" is solid enough, but he doesn't act changed until later. 

unless the argument is supposed to be Superman dying is what brought him back, but then why did stop trying to kill him? The only conclusion I can see is that the character's arc apparently had two emotional climatic events twenty minutes a part. Which is not what one would generally consider good writing.

But I digress. That warehouse scene was not good, and I didn't enjoy it at all. He was sloppy and overly brutal.

Thank Christ Diana finished her YouTube videos in time to salvage a bit of the finale of the movie.

• Like 2

I’m legit surprised at the reactions to X-Men: Apocalypse. Bryan Singer was 3-0 with X-Men films, the streak X-Men films are on from X-Men: First Class’ (2011) return to form to Deadpool (2016) and the review embargo ending early. Fox must regret that now.

I don't even care, I'm still incredibly pumped for this.

Those costumes. And the Jubilee pics from way back. They are moving towards the era of X-Men I grew up on!

I'm going to be pissed if it sucks

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh wow. This is just great.

Thanks for this, Craig!

My interest in Deadpool increased by the marketing, one of the best and the word of mouth. I wondered if the film could match the build, that it did. Deadpool is one of the funniest films I’ve seen at the cinema. Deadpool’s movie uniqueness helps compared to the majority of comic book films too.

On 10/05/2016 at 11:21 PM, Brian Fowler said:

X2 is a lot of fun.

You know, it wasn't until after The Wolverine came out that I watched Origins and after all the talk of how shit it was, I didn't fully hate it. There are parts that are terrible but some parts are a blast. Ryan Reynolds pre-transformation showing why he's a good fit for the character, Sabretooth is excellent, the credits are legitimately one of my favourite opening credit sequences ever, and even some late game shit like Wolverine riding a motorcycle up a ramp to cut through a helicopter...lots of stupid action I had fun with. Even Weapon 11 would be great if it was on its own terms and not a bastardization of Deadpool. The sword arms are dumb in a hilarious almost campy fun way. There is a lot to like in that movie which is what makes the fact that it's got a terrible plot, wastes a great cast, misuses a bunch of beloved characters, has terrible CGI claws, and completely loses whatever emotional tethers it had that much more frustrating.

It's a disaster with redeeming features, as opposed to that joyless abomination X3. And while I'd never argue it's a good movie, I can't say I didn't have fun with it once my expectations were set.

Rented Deadpool over the weekend.  A lot of fun.  I say that as someone who generally doesn't watch comic book movies (even though I have a mild comic book habit) and has never liked the character.

I do wish there had been more of a plot.  I would have preferred a film with more action set pieces.  The flashback scenes telling his origin were ok, but nothing I want to see again, so I'll probably skip the film once if hits FX or whatever and is on for free once or twice a month.  Does everyone need to have their origin story told in detail?  I realize most people probably don't know Deadpool's backstory, but most of them probably don't care either.  How many people would have minded if his origin was summarized in a three minute flashback?

They couldn't afford more action set pieces. They had another one or two scripted but then the budget got slashed again. Without the origin story flashbacks, there would have been a 45 minute movie.

• Like 1

Unlike the rest of the comic films, Deadpool was more of a passion project. That's one of the reasons that Reynolds is all over the place for it, including doing the "Real Movie Trailer" as seen above. He'd been trying to do this film since Wolverine: Origins.

Watching the extras, the deleted scenes did have more from the fight scenes.  They also had one where they went to Mexico as a last ditch effort for Wade's cancer.  They were fun and all, but I think by taking them out the movie's a lot tighter and well-paced.  I have no complaints with what made the final cut.  Even talking about his origin didn't bother me as that didn't necessarily drag.  The back and forth between origin and real time helped keep me from being bored.  Since this did big numbers  (and the origin out of the way) they can do more in sequel which should be really fun.