DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I wonder if this will be another Days of Future Past deal where everyone hated the costumes and the trailers and the concept art and everything to do with it and then it came out and everyone raved about it.

Except Comicbook Girl 19 who hates all of the X-Men movies because it's not "her" X-Men. lol

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wonder if this will be another Days of Future Past deal where everyone hated the costumes and the trailers and the concept art and everything to do with it and then it came out and everyone raved about it.

Except Comicbook Girl 19 who hates all of the X-Men movies because it's not "her" X-Men. lol

My problem with this current thread of films is that that they are all stuck in the past playing catch up to the present day.  I kind of want to see modern full force X-Men already.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

My problem with this current thread of films is that that they are all stuck in the past playing catch up to the present day.  I kind of want to see modern full force X-Men already.

I hear you on that though I did enjoy all of the 70's stuff in DOFP.  Deadpool is in present day and I assume X-Force will be also so hopefully they catch up to speed with those and then maybe they can do a little crossover stuff. 

On 4/29/2016 at 11:45 PM, TheVileOne said:

I am good with the current timeline as not to repeat the sins of X-Men:  The Last Stand, Batman vs. Superman, or Spider Man 3.

Overstuffed super hero movies not named Watchmen have never turned out that great.

Yeah, the opening credits were fantastic. The rest of it... nah, let's not get into that again. We all know where everyone stands.

Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr are the same age (51). Now, it makes sense that a 15 year old Spider-Man would have an Aunt in her early 50s, as opposed to the white haired old lady she always was in the comics, and the world has changed about people who are even over 60 refusing the consider themselves 'old' any more, but still... it seems like for all that they've finally got Spider-Man done right at the third attempt, they've also gone far away from source in terms of the only member of the supporting cast we've seen so far. Are they going to have J Jonah Jameson be retired and have Robbie Robertson be the new editor of the Daily Bugle, pumping out pro-Spidey stories every day? Is Uncle Ben going to have died long before Peter got his powers?

I love it when I read a bunch of reviews for a movie, and nobody seems to agree on what they saw.

One APOCALYPSE review called the pace "relentless;" another bemoans a lack of urgency or momentum.

One review claimed the cast was phoning it in; another said everyone was clearly giving it their all.

But they all seem to agree that it's a very fan service-y movie, and...I'm a fan, so I suspect I'll be generally happy with it.

Why does it matter to you what a reviewer says? I asked this before and the answer I received was lame and deflected the question. What matters most is if you liked it. Arguing about or grousing over someone's review of a movie you're interested in feels like bitching at someone because they're not 100% on board with your team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Why does it matter to you what a reviewer says? I asked this before and the answer I received was lame and deflected the question. What matters most is if you liked it. Arguing about or grousing over someone's review of a movie you're interested in feels like bitching at someone because they're not 100% on board with your team.

I don't put much stock in these reviews myself but other people do and it affects the box office and the reason I care about that is because I want them to continue making films and most of all not cater to people who want all of their movies to be a light PG-13.  These reviews are a bunch of "It's not the MCU".  I don't want everything to be the MCU formula. I want studios to take risks.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Considering the positive reviews and piles of cash Deadpool made, I don't think "we want everything to be a light pg-13" is an issue in any way.

Deadpool was a once in a lifetime achievement though. Look at the quote from EW.

"Apocalypse isn't quite a dog. But it is a movie with way too much of everything except the things that should matter the most -- novelty, creativity, and fun."

There's that word again. Fun. What if Singer didn't want to make people laugh?  Why aren't these movies being judged on what the director set out to accomplish rather than whatever "fun" is. I don't care if a movie is funny. I want it to be good.

I guess I don't understand your complaint. Isn't "fun" the entire point of popcorn cinema?

You are the only person I know that constantly interprets the word "fun" to mean comedy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I guess I don't understand your complaint. Isn't "fun" the entire point of popcorn cinema?

You are the only person I know that constantly interprets the word "fun" to mean comedy.

That's what fun is. Amusement. Lighthearted.  I don't have a problem with fun, I have a problem with critics thinking that every comic book movie now has to follow the MCU formula of little one liners and all that in between the action.  I agree that Civil War was a lot more serious in tone and I loved that they went there with it. Civil War was pretty damn dark for a MCU movie. And they struck a perfect balance of comedy and "shit got real"