DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

That. Was. Awesome.

I could quibble about the shaky cam ruining some of the action scenes (it did) but holy fuck they actually did it. They translated Deadpool's over the top, internet zeitgeist grabbing, absolutely without rules tone to the screen. Even as the trailers and commercials hit that tone, I still had doubts the whole film could or would.

It did. Holy hell it did.

• Like 1

The only worry I have with a sequel is that it will have a substantially bigger budget since this one was so popular, which will lead to a lot of studio execs wanting to offer their input.

• Like 3

The only worry I have with a sequel is that it will have a substantially bigger budget since this one was so popular, which will lead to a lot of studio execs wanting to offer their input.

There's no way a sequel will be able to top this one.  So let's just enjoy this euphoria while we can.

Or, the success of this one causes the studio to be all paranoid about fucking up their new cash cow, and they demand a lot more control over the sequel. See the examples of Spider-man 3, X-men 3, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

• Like 1

in your dreams Kevin Nash.

IMHO, scope and scale aren't everything.  This movie did have a low budget but as a result it had to get creative and was able to fully embrace Deadpool's style and be something different than the usual superhero ilk.

Sometimes these movies sacrifice substance for the sake of scale and spectacle.  This movie didn't have to do that.

f4dT2yV.jpg

Fuck off superheroes.

Amazing.

The success of this one could give the writer and director even more cache to do whatever they want. As crazy as Deadpool was, the next could get even more insane.

Or, the success of this one causes the studio to be all paranoid about fucking up their new cash cow, and they demand a lot more control over the sequel. See the examples of Spider-man 3, X-men 3, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

in your dreams Kevin Nash.

IMHO, scope and scale aren't everything.  This movie did have a low budget but as a result it had to get creative and was able to fully embrace Deadpool's style and be something different than the usual superhero ilk.

Sometimes these movies sacrifice substance for the sake of scale and spectacle.  This movie didn't have to do that.

I hope the Deadpool sequel isn't rushed. I prefer a minimum of two years between entries, then three. Less can be more. 

Make no mistake, this looked every bit of it's $58 million budget. I don't mean it looked bad, but they got a shitload of mileage out of the highway scene. It felt like that's where most of the movie took place. Aside from blood squibs, Colossus, and NGT, there wasn't a lot in the way of CGI and while you could tell the squibs and such were CGI, Colossus still looked good. He looked and felt real in his scenes.

And the animation during the last scene was hilarious and worked well.

I'm hoping with a bigger budget it just means we'll see more than 3 settings and we'll have cleaner CGI. Hell, go for more practical effects if you have the budget for it.

I hate you guys.

We kid you just for the halibut.

Saw Deadpool yesterday and it was exactly as batshit crazy as you wanted it to be.

"Funny how there's only the two of you here. It's almost like the studio couldn't afford more X-Men."

Line of the movie. We fucking howled at that one.