DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Deadpool is awesome.  Everyone go see it next weekend and then listen to the Deadpool Rap.

Rhett Reese ‏@RhettReese 1h1 hour ago
No one who's seen Deadpool so far has seen *all* of Deadpool. There's a second coda that won't arrive 'til the movie screens in theaters...

It's a hell of a litmus test. I mean, really, if we ever wanted to be sure if an out-of-our-league girl could possibly be into us, it's the perfect trap to lure her to a movie about the ugliest, nerdiest guy in the world who has a lot of disgusting habits and super-disturbing fetishes and always says all the wrong things (yet still sometimes scores way-out-of-his-league women). If she winds up being super into it, then I'd say that you've got a golden ticket.

• Like 1

It's a hell of a litmus test. I mean, really, if we ever wanted to be sure if an out-of-our-league girl could possibly be into us, it's the perfect trap to lure her to a movie about the ugliest, nerdiest guy in the world who has a lot of disgusting habits and super-disturbing fetishes and always says all the wrong things (yet still sometimes scores way-out-of-his-league women). If she winds up being super into it, then I'd say that you've got a golden ticket.

I guess now I understand why so many dudes are super excited about this character and movie.

eta: I thought about this and this sounds insulting. I don't intend it that way, I just am not a comic book reader and haven't really understood the excitement. To me, honestly, it looks dumb and trying way too hard to be edgy.

I just am not a comic book reader and haven't really understood the excitement. To me, honestly, it looks dumb and trying way too hard to be edgy.

Congrats.  You just summed up almost 20 years of comic books in two sentences.  That's pretty much all there's ever been to Deadpool and his various comic series.

I just am not a comic book reader and haven't really understood the excitement. To me, honestly, it looks dumb and trying way too hard to be edgy.

Congrats.  You just summed up almost 20 years of comic books in two sentences.  That's pretty much all there's ever been to Deadpool and his various comic series.

I'm guessing you haven't read much of Duggan's Deadpool.

• Like 3

I mean, Deadpool comics are pretty much a satire. The best ones riff on familiar tropes and format while still delivering a story worth reading. Joe Kelly's run was great at that. Other writers...hit or miss. A lot just turn it into a lot of dumb slapstick which can be entertaining but isn't what I turn up for. Hoping the movie veers more toward Joe Kelly.

I mean, Deadpool comics are pretty much a satire. The best ones riff on familiar tropes and format while still delivering a story worth reading. Joe Kelly's run was great at that. Other writers...hit or miss. A lot just turn it into a lot of dumb slapstick which can be entertaining but isn't what I turn up for. Hoping the movie veers more toward Joe Kelly.

Thanks, that (the former) makes some sense and sounds pretty interesting, although still more suited for hardcore comics readers over casual comic-book/action movie fans like myself.

Oh I knew he was in it, but we didn't know what he was doing.

Yes you did.

"Superb Owl"

That's pretty brilliant.

You do know that's a several years old Stephen Colbert joke, right?

My answer to both of these posts is, "Nope. Sure didn't."