DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

All they will probably do is find a director willing to take that bullet.

"Hey, we got Matthew Vaughn! Everybody likes Matthew Vaughn! He did Layer Cake and that one X-Men movie yall all like."

Is it possible they're just saying that for now to save face?

The movie will still be in theaters for a while, still has to open in some markets and then there's the DVD and BluRay release down the line.

If they already outright admitted defeat, that would probably hurt the movie even more.

• Like 2

I think they saw what happened with Daredevil. Marvel got him back and cleaned up on Netflix with a critically acclaimed, super successful take on the character. Then used the recently returned Punisher to hype Season 2.

Honestly? I think it's worth $200 mil/decade for them just to play keep away. At least in their minds.

Chris Ryan quote:

"I saw this Friday night and it was bad but some of it is piling on by people who weren't given materials they are used to. [comic book websites rely on teasers, clips, etc.].  It wasn't any stupider than Ultron. It's not written as well and the characters aren't as interesting but it's pretty much your standard superhero dumb plot."

Chris Ryan quote:

"I saw this Friday night and it was bad but some of it is piling on by people who weren't given materials they are used to. [comic book websites rely on teasers, clips, etc.].  It wasn't any stupider than Ultron. It's not written as well and the characters aren't as interesting but it's pretty much your standard superhero dumb plot."

He sounds like an idiot, and they did release all those materials for the film.  They even did a stupid video series with scientist Michio Kaku explaining how the science of Fantastic Four could actually work in real life.

I think they saw what happened with Daredevil. Marvel got him back and cleaned up on Netflix with a critically acclaimed, super successful take on the character. Then used the recently returned Punisher to hype Season 2.

Honestly? I think it's worth $200 mil/decade for them just to play keep away. At least in their minds.

Plus Marvel are being dicks to them.

• Like 1

Fox swears they aren't giving up on the F4.

Fox will never give up the F4 rights there's no reason to give them up. Disney/Marvel is not going to give them the sweetheart deal they gave Sony for Spider-Man so it makes no sense for Fox to give up the rights.

By the way the movie made 60-67m opening weekend (Foreign and domestic) so making only approx. 50% of the budget back isn't great, it could've been a lot worse. I think it can still come close to breaking even after it's run in theaters and DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital sales

Plus Marvel are being dicks to them.

If Marvel are dicks, then Fox are assholes.

• Like 1

Fox swears they aren't giving up on the F4.

Fox will never give up the F4 rights there's no reason to give them up. Disney/Marvel is not going to give them the sweetheart deal they gave Sony for Spider-Man so it makes no sense for Fox to give up the rights.

By the way the movie made 60-67m opening weekend (Foreign and domestic) so making only approx. 50% of the budget back isn't great, it could've been a lot worse. I think it can still come close to breaking even after it's run in theaters and DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital sales

The old (not always accurate) saw is you need to make back double the cost to break even. They didn't make even half on opening weekend (if you believe the unconfirmed 120 million figure) worldwide. It's dead.