DVDVR Message Board

WWE 24 The Thread

MGFanJay

Series Premiere - WrestleMania XXX -

WWE built this up pretty big and while it was really good, it was greatly hurt by time constraints and painting as rosey a picture as possible for things. It was Connor-heavy, which is fine but Steph saying they invited him to WM to give him something to live for came off as one of those self-congratulatory lines that they throw out. It was nice to have Warrior's family in this, but if you didn't know otherwise, you wouldn't know he passed away since that didn't get a graphic while Connor did.

The biggest letdown here was the Taker-Brock stuff. We got the briefest of glimpses of Taker backstage and I loved the hug with Vince, but they didn't even talk about what caused the injury or Vince going with Taker to the hospital. They went with a surface-level approach to everything and I get why they would do that from a corporate perspective, it did make the special a lot worse than the Mania of WrestleMania/WrestleMania: The Movie this was patterned after.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/wwe-24-wrestlemania-30.html

Screens -

19aaef384912359.jpg

450044384912404.jpg

0e34dc384912469.jpg

44ba8d384912732.jpg

e82f3a384912736.jpg

804eba384912741.jpg

257943384912845.jpg

132527384912859.jpg

f08e1e384912911.jpg

3f6e62384912932.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/x3wu9hds6oknfkj7ugrnasccartfibsf

Let's not nitpick about death graphics, c'mon.

And I'm not crying, my eyes are red because I was smoking a joint with Van Dam. :P Some of those moments were really sad. But, I'm an emotional dude. That Connor stuff always hits me really hard, and the Jake/Hall/Warrior stuff was touching too. Then Flair started crying and I couldn't help it.

Didn't know this would be a series, so that's cool.

That Wrestlemania 24/7 special was an absolute must-see.  Got lots of cool backstage stuff that was fun to watch.  I think my favorites are the NXT girls getting ready for the HHH entrance and the impact of 'Taker's loss.  Those two really stood out to me.  Bonus points for Rock and Stone Cold the moment Hogan said Silverdome.

But man, starting it off with that Conor pretty much started the waterworks for me.  When they showed the commercial on Raw and my wife asked about him, even talking about it hit a nerve.  Heavy, heavy stuff.  And I don't feel it's meant to be a corporate PR type thing.  I honestly feel he meant the world to them.  Toss in Warrior talking about being a dad and there's some more sadness.  And you could add Flair crying over Charlotte being out there given the state he was in at the time. It was only a day or two before that he broke down on the Legends panel so he was really in a raw state.

I'm curious what they do for future episodes, this could be pretty good. 

I guess it is a weekly series but not a series about Wrestlemania 30 which is what I thought it was in the beginning.

The thing I forgot watching this was how Taker losing to Brock wasn't just a wrestling story it was a national story.   It wasn't just marks on message board going crazy it was Grantland and Deadspin and Yahoo and TMZ and ESPN.  Pretty amazing stuff.  Yeah I would have liked to seen all the stuff that dealt with Taker passing out and needing assistance but that could be argued as really tasteless and exploitative.   

Very enjoyable show. Agreed they could've shown more of Taker/Lesnar stuff but loved the focus on Triple H's Skull Lord entrance with lots of screen time for Charlotte, Sasha, and Alexa which was cool. Also always enjoy those great Warrior moments.

• 1 month later...

LOVED the Booker T special. It was basically what I wanted out of the WM XXX one since they really told a compelling story here and didn't just do purely surface-level stuff.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe-news/41462-review-of-the-booker-t-special

Screens -

7aba6e394384546.jpg

186d40394385061.jpg

0c94ed394385152.jpg

05f7a8394385208.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/yvzz3pc4z6w16skxep5uy1410x2ws5yq

Booker's special was nice, especially during the parts where you could pick out what locations in Houston they were filming at. At little disappointed that they didn't go into that much detail about his robbery case, his roots in Houston, and the PWA/ROW, but overall a good show.