DVDVR Message Board

UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz (1/31/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

As far as terrible fights goes this was pretty entertaining.  But except for the Nick Diaz goofiness in the 1st round this was a crapper of a fight.   The only reason why Silva won that fight was Nick Diaz is a moron who was completely gassed out and out of ideas by the 3rd round.  

No way Silva deserves a title shot after that performance which was the plan about a month ago.   I figure he will get one but maybe he will have one more fight to justify it.

i found this main event one hell of a five round fight. diaz was completely clowning Silva during the first, which i figure led him to winning that round. after that, you can see Silva slowly start to dominate but never really press the action. my eyeballs were glued to the TV for the entire fight, always anticipating what was about to happen. 

this was a hell of a card overall (with the Gastelum/Woodley exception. that fight sucked ballsack). every single fight held something entertaining. lots of underdogs pulled off the upset. and i won a little bit of money, so no complaints here.

• Like 1

Fucking Diaz and all his clownish excuses.  

Co-main event is symbolic of all my problems with Tyron Woodley.  He looked like he went to the Hector Lombard school of striking for his entire camp.  

He's never going to be champion.

At no-point did I think Diaz had any chance of winning. None. I do want to point out that Nick almost fought(Condit fight ruins it) BJ, GSP, Anderson. All in a row. That kind of speaks about Diaz someway. 

Are we finally done with Diaz?  He didn't bring anything against Condit...he didn't bring anything against GSP...and he brought nothing against Anderson.  Dana probably already has another main event lined up for him.

The purpose of a business is to make money. He brings in a ton of money. There you go.

• Like 1

What did you guys think of the Tate/McMann fight?

Good fight and better than I expected. However, McMann's fight IQ is her undoing. However, you would expect that since she hasn't been in MMA that long. It's just she doesn't have some of the innate thinking skills to really put forth a good, solid strategy outside of takedown and punch from top position. She has a good right hand, which I believe broke Miesha's orbital bone in round one. That's kind of the problem with bantamweight women in a nutshell and why no one really poses a threat to Rousey at the moment. Everyone not named Ronda Rousey has obvious weaknesses to go with their strengths. McMann's inability to capitalize on her punching power advantage was a bigger problem than Miesha squaring herself up to be hit.

• Like 1

Well, Cris Cyborg would change that if she's able to make 135 (and not get caught for PEDs). I guess those are her weaknesses but I think she'd destroy Ronda if she doesn't let those two things ruin her chances.

Isn't Valentina Shevchenko supposed to have excellent standup skills for WMMA? I'd imagine her grappling would be a major Achilles coming from kickboxing, but the majority of top women in the UFC have such basic stand up skills it would set her apart. It's not a good sign for the division when you have the clear #2 and 3 fighters in a fight that almost assuredly doesn't lead to a title shot. UFC needs to find some contenders ASAP.

No juice isn't the same as not getting caught. And if she can be healthy at 135, she'd be so much bigger than Ronda, so much stronger, she'd crush Ronda. Her stand up is so far beyond any other woman MMA fighter that I think she'd be unstoppable. Cris looked fine at 140 against Baszler way back when. I don't know how much harder it would be to cut down now, a good 6/7 years later but I think money and fame will persuade her to give it a shot.

I think sometimes people forget just how rudimentary Ronda's stand up game is. Her chin is right there for an uppercut, little head movement, she's flat footed, and her punches are slow.

What did you guys think of the Tate/McMann fight?

Good fight and better than I expected. However, McMann's fight IQ is her undoing. However, you would expect that since she hasn't been in MMA that long. It's just she doesn't have some of the innate thinking skills to really put forth a good, solid strategy outside of takedown and punch from top position. She has a good right hand, which I believe broke Miesha's orbital bone in round one. That's kind of the problem with bantamweight women in a nutshell and why no one really poses a threat to Rousey at the moment. Everyone not named Ronda Rousey has obvious weaknesses to go with their strengths. McMann's inability to capitalize on her punching power advantage was a bigger problem than Miesha squaring herself up to be hit.

It was a really good fight and lived up to my expectations. McMann won the 1st round 10-9 the late inverted triangle by Tate in my eyes didn't make it a 10-8 round.

Tate almost won the fight in the 2nd round with Choke and killed McMann in the 3rd round to win the fight on the judges cards.

Cormier said McMann after the 1st round her corner told her to kept it standing she would win that way but when Tate got those punches in the 2nd round and almost won via the choke she went to her default setting in the 3rd since she didn't trust her standup game anymore. Got that sweet judo throw early in the 3rd but Tate made a hell of a counter and got top position then it was all over from that point on.

• Like 1

I am not making any proclamations on the fight until I see Cris at 135.

What's the under/over she makes weight?

I think you mean odds. Honestly, I don't know at this point. It strikes me that her management doesn't have a clear and definitive plan for getting to Ronda Rousey. Maybe I'm wrong, and it was their plan all along to have this elaborate comedy of errors. I just don't see that though. She is stuck on a level of exposure that undermines her position in the sport. In the beginning, most of it was a Zuffa created smokescreen along with her own failures of passing drug tests. Now, we're getting to a point where it is 100% her fault. As much as I want to see the fight, I have to admit that.

I mean I look at her fight in Lion Fight where she lost and admire a display of toughness that no one in female combat sports has shown. She is a much different fighter than when she was in Storm Samurai and early on in EliteXC. It made me want to see the fight a lot, but it also speaks to what is wrong with her career. Do you want to kickbox, do grappling tournaments, wrestle in WWE, pose in racy pictures, or fight in MMA on the highest level? Okay, you're a Renaissance woman. We get it. However, in this stage of your career and athletic peak, you have to chose one to primarily focus on. She still has not done that. Thus, she cannot put in any concentration to actually make bantamweight. She has to figure it's not only men that get old in this sport. Also, she has to learn the difference between can't and won't. You can't make 135 or you won't make 135? There is a big yet somehow subtle difference there.

I remember when she fought Carano the question was would both of them miss weight and that was at 145 so unless things changed a lot in 5 years 135 with her not failing a roids test after the fight or missing weight seems likely. All that said if Rousey does fight Cyborg this year on PPV I will buy the hell out of that fight.

What punk and elsa said.  I will pass judgement on a Cris Cyborg MMA fight at 135 when she actually weighs 135.  She won't sign with UFC because she wouldn't ever make weight and eats PEDs like PEZ.

Apparently the prelims for this drew 1.546 million, which is outrageous. Second highest total for a prelim card on FS1. Peak quarter hour was 1.992 million for Tate-McMann. Chick fights....

Female fights draw ratings and causal fans are more likely to watch female fights on prelims. Which is why Tate asked to headline the prelims to get as many eyeballs on her fight as possible.