DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Kizuna Road 2013.

The Natural

Must admit I know absolutely naff all about njpw - I watched Devitt/Ibushi/Ki from their january show and enjoyed it immensely.

I watched some of the devitt okada match and while I had it on mute (not knowing japanese kinda detracts from the enjoyment of it for me; I'm a linguist, what can i say, i love to listen) I really enjoyed watching the two of them beat the snot outta each other.

Must admit I know absolutely naff all about njpw - I watched Devitt/Ibushi/Ki from their january show and enjoyed it immensely.

I watched some of the devitt okada match and while I had it on mute (not knowing japanese kinda detracts from the enjoyment of it for me; I'm a linguist, what can i say, i love to listen) I really enjoyed watching the two of them beat the snot outta each other.

Devitt/Okada hasn't happened yet. Was it the Gedo match you saw?

I don't understand over half that shit, but I gotta say, the cadence of the commentary really adds to stuff.

I reviewed the NJPW Kizuna Road iPPV here:

Overall thoughts: It was a good but overly long show. I think they could have cut half of a few matches and minutes off others to make this one better. Ishii/Suzuki, Shibata/Goto and Nakamura/Sombra were the matches of the night but on the other hand, Sakuraba/Nagata was one of the worst matches of the year and Tanahashi was completely wasted in his role. This is definitely worth a look for the matches I mentioned above but for the others, there were honestly better house show matches.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I disagree that Saku vs. Nagata was one of the worst matches of the year, or a bad match at all. I thought the match was great BUT the finish did look bad. As for cutting time off some matches, I'd probably take a few minutes from the Jr. Tag Title (did that need 17 minutes?) and TenKoji/CHAOS (or just let it end after the double countout, I'm fine with that) and give that to the main event. I thought the show was great overall other than that tag title match.

It's too bad that the show was so stacked and after watching Shibata vs. Goto essentially just repeating what they did at Dominion you really need to question why they put that match on this PPV if they're having it in G1 again. Their time could've been split for some matches like Suzuki vs. Ishii and Naito vs. Tanaka. I would've loved to see some more minutes for those matches. The time for the main event was fine I thought.

I enjoyed this show, but I didn't love it. Nothing overly outstanding, but I did enjoy Nakamura/Sombra, Suzuki/Ishii, Okada/Devitt and the opening tag. The 8-man could of used a little more time though, however I thought it was perfectly placed as it woke the crowd up after intermission. I'd probably rate it on par with Dontaku ultimately.

Overall, this wasn't as good as some of the other IPPV like Wrestle Kingdom 7 or Dominion 6.22, this was still a very good show with an good undercard and a great main event. This show is worth purchasing. The backstage promo with the Bullet Club was very fun.

Posted Image

I enjoyed Suzuki vs. Ishii. They had a very good stiff brawl. Suzuki's delayed gotch piledriver was awesome looking.

I loved Okada vs. Devitt. While outside interference could have ruined this match, the booking of the Bullet Club's interference was done well as they added drama to the match. Even though they interfered several times, it wasn't overdone in my opinion. I loved the spot when Okada used Tope Con Hiro on the entire Bullet Club. One of Bullet Clubs's interference spots led to a great near fall when Devitt used a top rope double stomp onto a steel chair that was on Okada. The finishing stretch was very fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit I know absolutely naff all about njpw - I watched Devitt/Ibushi/Ki from their january show and enjoyed it immensely.I watched some of the devitt okada match and while I had it on mute (not knowing japanese kinda detracts from the enjoyment of it for me; I'm a linguist, what can i say, i love to listen) I really enjoyed watching the two of them beat the snot outta each other.

If you're watching puro you have it on mute, you are seriously missing out. The commentary and crowd reactions are like half the experience.

They aren't saying a hell of a lot that you're missing. A lot of question and answer about what's going on in the match if a wrestler is with them. Stuff about the recent and current history of the guys in the match. Dates of past events. Backgrounds of the guys. It's nothing too complicated since they don't exactly have WWE level angle stuff. They also use a lot of English loan words for the wrestling moves, so you won't miss that.