DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 14: Gustafsson vs. Johnson (1/24/2015) - Tele2 Arena (Stockholm, Sweden)

Elsalvajeloco

So pretty much it seems like Bones/Rumble will probably determine his future in the LHW division. If he wins I could see Jones moving up to HW.

Jones better work on making sure he gets that fight to the ground though. If it stays standing I don't like his chances.

Yeah, Johnson is dangerous most in rounds 1 & 2.  I suspect Jones and Jackson will plan to drag him into the later rounds as Anthony has been known to gas.  It is a really interesting fight though as Gustaffson had his best success tagging Jones in the early rounds.  Let's just pray neither get injured or pop for anything in the meantime.

Rumble ran right through Gus like he was a jabroni. Bones is going to need a Scarface size mound of coke to get through this fight. Rumble looks unstoppable right now. I guess the only way to beat him is to run until he hopefully gasses. Gus came at him, and paid the price.

Jones will need to use better footwork and evasiveness than he has in the past few years. He pretty much let DC come right at him and they fought most of the 25 minutes in a telephone booth. He's going to have to use his length better than Gustafsson did, not that Gus didn't try. I'm sure Rumble will work on his takedown defence to make sure it's at its best. That will be a fascinating fight. There have been a string of really interesting and captivating matchups the past few months.

Yeah I haven't given a shit about UFC for a while, but they have 3 interesting cards the first month of the year. I'm really looking forward to Aldo icing Conner, and of course Rumble/Bones is a must see. Also Punk lol.

My God, that ref let Gustafsson take a beating.

Yeah, the difference in officiating between the main events was like night and day.  Questionable stoppage for Hendo and in the next fight, the ref let Rumble land unanswered uppercuts when it was clear that Gus couldn't defend himself.

Well, it's a title eliminator. I'm fine with a guy getting extra time in title fights and eliminators unless he is completely out. In fights that really don't mean anything in the grand scheme (like Mousasi/D. Henderson), yeah you can stop it a little early. There are fights that can be stopped a few seconds earlier, but it's really rare we get some Mickey Mouse bullshit like that one HW Bellator undercard fight last year. That was all-time egregious. If that happened in the UFC, homeboy wouldn't come back for the main card and his reffing assignments would be delegated to someone else.