DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.49

Dolfan in NYC

Katy was great?

Go to bed, Tabe.

I separate the quality of the performance from the quality of the songs. I like a couple of her songs but she's nowhere near a favorite. She went out and put on an amazing spectacle.

I thought Katy Perry was great. Such an incredibly spectacular...spectacle. Missy Elliot was terrible, just a lip syncing mess. But Katy was great.

Amazingly, I kind of agree. I'm no big Katy Perry fan (she has one song that I kind of enjoy in a guilty way -- which she didn't even play, I might add -- but otherwise she's not very good; the hooks to her songs are mostly irritating, and her voice is surprisingly weak for someone whose bread and butter is singing). But the whole thing was bizarre, wacky, and spectacular enough that I enjoyed it in a sort of bemused way.

I also agree, Missy Elliot was not very good. They should have had Lenny Kravitz do more instead. I mean, why not? I'm not huge fan of him either, but he is talented, and why bother shipping him out there for one minute of performance? It was more like a bizarre cameo appearance (although that sort of added to the weirdness of the whole thing, in a way).

The biggest problem with the Nationwide ad is that IT DOESN'T KNOW HOW INSURANCE WORKS.

If I had Nationwide and got into an accident, my kid still dies. Nationwide would just give me a ton of money for the funeral and other expenses. No car insurance can possibly save your kid's life.

I don't know what cut-rate insurance you have, but after my natural son died, and a $500 deductible, Nationwide sent me a new one.

• Like 3

With a few hours to decompress I think this definitely goes down as one of the best Superbowls. I thought the first quarter although no scoring had that feel of two heavyweights feeling each other out, and then the game built so well to wild finishes in both halves.

Seattle were within one yard of back to back titles in a salary cap era.  The longest yard.

• Like 1

I kept nodding off during the Superbowl. ( an hour nap between closing and opening shifts will do that to you )

That being said, I missed most of the Halftime show. From what I am gathering here, it was the wrestling equivalent of Great Ring Performer/Poor to Passable Promo;

When Missy Elliot showed up all my friends called each other to talk about What the Fuck why she there and what was the last time she was know in pop culture.

Right now all I can think of is Peyton singing the Nationwide jingle, but now it's always "Nationwide...but then I died."

I ran out of likes hours ago.

I need more likes.

That's going to be in my head for a long time.

If the Seahawks had scored the touchdown, they would have been up by 2 with under a minute to go, right?  I wonder if Balls-to-wall-Pete would have went for the 2-point conversion there.  I think Carroll's faith in his defense was a little shaken by the Patriots drives so I think there was a shot he would go for 2 if they scored.

All of you who hate Missy Elliot suck

I enjoy all the Seahawks fans who are now calling for Pete Carroll to be fired

Everyone knows Pete Carroll won't leave after an unbelievably stupid call in the most important game of the year.

He'll wait until the league is about to come down on him for the unbelievably shady shit he's done, then hightail it out of there to avoid the consequences,

• Like 1

Fat Missy Elliot was awesome.  Skinny Missy Elliot hasn't really done much except producing.  

Bringing out Missy Elliot this year was like it would have been like if the Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake brought out Kris Kross for example.  All the 30-40 year olds would have lost their mind and everyone else would be   :huh:

Missy has been battling Graves' Disease for years.  Fuck all haters she stole that show.  I will give Katy Perry one thing; she sure can drop it like it's hot.

The bizarre slant pass was no more mind numbing than Pete going for the TD instead of the safe FG at the end of the half.  Depending on the outcome, it is either a "gutsy move" or a really stupid decision.  Both plays were suspect. One play worked out remarkably well and the other went horribly wrong.

I know Pete was thinking that it was the Super Bowl and there is no tomorrow and maybe he saw something he didn't like in the Pat's defense, but you are on the five and Beast Mode is right there.  Playbooks be damned, Give Lynch the fucking ball.

• Like 1

I didn't watch one blessed second of the Bowl (too busy drinking and eating wings all day, and was watching the Tony Bourdain marathon) until I turned it on at the end just for shits and grins, and THAT happened. Seriously, that was literally all I saw of the game: the interception and the brawl. As a non-fan it gave me a huge thrill to see a moment where people nationwide were screaming/breaking furniture/dreading the call from their bookie in the morning. And then a fight! It was glorious.

Conservatives are really upset at that one ad. No, not that one. Or that one. Or that one either. Not even that one.

So I take it that the whole land conservation message zoomed right over their heads.

And what Brian said.  The song is a fucking ode to communism. It was written as a rebuke to Berlin's God Bless America.