DVDVR Message Board

2015 Hall of Fame

HumanChessgame

People throw this "Vince's limo driver" line out all the time, but don't realize that James Dudley also was one of the first (THE first?) black promoters of wrestling back in the day and that the "limo driver" job was just Vince giving this guy some job security in his twilight years.

• Like 4

I actually know that about Dudley. I was just using him for the quick "meme" quality that the reference makes (since as you said - that is the way most folks know him). But I apologize for using it since I could have easily have used a bunch of other guys (not even counting the celebrities)

But I think folks should still realize the general point.

I mean Fujinami is more qualified for a WWE HOF than Sting is

If they're going to put people in based on their career accomplishments outside of WWE, where's Vader? Held three World titles for three different companies on three different continents and that's not good enough? 

If they're going to put people in based on their career accomplishments outside of WWE, where's Vader? Held three World titles for three different companies on three different continents and that's not good enough? 

It will happen eventually.

When Vader goes in they must include the footage of him jumping on a trampoline, and in flip flops.  Do you think if Vince brought Vader in and gave him a new gimmick he would have been more successful.  Look at Foley.  He was famous as Cactus, but the Mankind gimmick took him to new heights.  Then again there is the Ringmaster.  

If Vince had pushed Vader the way every other promoter who ever employed Vader did, they way every promoter figured out was the best way to get the most out of Vader... it wouldn't have mattered if he'd changed his gimmick or not. But he blew the push, and Vader was unsuccessful. But obviously that's Vader's fault because I must hate Vince or something.

• Like 1

He's just trying to get you to answer the question, which you still aren't doing.

Yeah but I didn't care about his question. I was talking about what interested me.

But fine: AxB is right, and I'll add that the answer is not "yes", the answer is "It's fucking Vader. You don't need to gimmick him up. You need to let him go and maul people." Which they did and it worked great right up until he ran into the Shawn Michaels backstage buzzsaw and that was the beginning of the end.

I'm trying to think of what kind of gimmick Vince circa 1995-96 would have given Vader. With the blue collar gimmicks back then, I'd lay money on truck driver. Large Leon or maybe Big Red. As long as it was still Vader doing Vader stuff it could have worked.

Thinking about it, Mason the Mutilator was inspired by Foley previously using the name Cactus Jack Manson.

Vader used to use the name Baby Bull. So his alternative WWF gimmick would have been Bul. Or Bay. Or Bay the Bul.

I'm trying to think of what kind of gimmick Vince circa 1995-96 would have given Vader. With the blue collar gimmicks back then, I'd lay money on truck driver. Large Leon or maybe Big Red. As long as it was still Vader doing Vader stuff it could have worked.

Wasn't that his AWA gimmick?  He wore the trucker hat and stuff.

Based on the pop culture time warp Vince is stuck in this would've been around the time he heard CW McCall's Convoy. Vader could have been a long-haul trucker. Vince, misunderstanding the lyrics, brings in an actual bear for Vader to feud with. Much better than his actual WWF run.

• Like 1