DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

55 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Serena at her best blows both of them off the court. Now that she has won more grand slam singles titles than Graf, I would like to hear what your argument would be against Serena.

Other than Andre Agassi, there's probably no bigger fan of Steffi than me. And even I think Serena wins 95 out of 100 times. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge tennis fan but I figured I would share this. My daughter has a window washing job while she is a full-time college student. She texted me earlier and said she spent an hour cleaning the inside windows of a house while having a very pleasant conversation with the owner who also happened to be a famous tennis player. She sent me a picture of a plaque from the house and that person was Martina Navratilova.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Three Grand Slams. 

Two Wimbledon. 

US Open. 

Davis Cup win. 

World #1. 

Two Olympic Gold medals back to back. 

Competing in a period with greats in Federer, Nadal and Novak.

Equal rights promoter. 

BBC Sports Personality of the Year X3.

Well played.

• Like 2

From junior champion to world number one

• 2004 - Wins US Open Boys' Singles title, beating Sergiy Stakhovsky 6-4 6-2
  • 2005 - Turns professional
  • 2006 - Wins first ATP title in California; becomes British number one
  • 2008 - Reaches first Grand Slam final at US Open
  • 2009 - First British winner at Queen's since 1938 • 2010 - Reaches first Slam final at Australian Open
  • 2011 - Reaches second Australian Open final
  • 2012 - Wins maiden Grand Slam at US Open and Olympic singles gold; reaches Wimbledon final
  • 2013 - Wins Wimbledon title; first British champion at SW19 since 1936; reaches Australian Open final
  • 2014 - Drops out of top 10 but claims 30th career title
  • 2015 - Helps Great Britain win Davis Cup; reaches fourth Australian Open final; ends year as world number two
  • 2016 - Tops world rankings; becomes Wimbledon champion again and defends Olympic title; reaches fifth Australian Open final
  • 2017 - Struggles with injuries; ends year as world number 16
  • 2018 - Makes just six competitive appearances due to hip injury

I went last night. Took ages to get in.

Unlucky not to win the first set, got creamed in the second, and probably lucky to win the third. Dominated RBA in the fourth far more than 7-6 alludes.

Midway through the third he effectively gave up and just started swinging for anything, and the crowd carried him through. Was an amazing atmosphere.

Annoyed to get a text midway through fourth set tiebreak advising cloak room was shutting at 11pm and I needed to collect my laptop bag.

I think Tsitipatas could win the tournament.

Halep drew Kanepi who knocked her out of the The US Open in the 1st round. She dropped the 1st Set and won a hard fought 2nd set but Kanepi couldn't keep pulling off the shots she did in the 1st 2 sets which lead to Halep winning the 3rd set 6-2. 

Halep had a even tougher match tonight where she lost the 2nd set in a tiebreaker to Kanin and was down 4-2 in the 3rd Set before making a huge comeback to win 6-4. Her reward Venus Williams in the next round. 

Serena vs. Bouchard will start in 25 mins. 

Serena definitely rolled her ankle. It ruined her mobility, and took away her serve for the rest of the match. There was a reason her best chance to win a game after the injury was when she was returning serve.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:12 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Osaka won and Kvitová won so they meet in the finals Saturday morning. 

World Number One ranking on the line. Shame only one can win as I like both. Petra Kvitova coming back from getting attacked and stabbed in her tennis hand. Naomi Osaka and what happened to her at the US Open with Serena Williams. Think I'll be rooting for Kvitova.