DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Just so there's no debate - Serena's coach admitted he was coaching. His defense was "everybody does it". Maybe, maybe not. That defense doesn't work on speeding tickets... 

And, again, the coaching thing was the first violation. The other two were absolute must-calls. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Just so there's no debate - Serena's coach admitted he was coaching. His defense was "everybody does it". Maybe, maybe not. That defense doesn't work on speeding tickets... 

And, again, the coaching thing was the first violation. The other two were absolute must-calls. 

Oh I know. But he's right that everybody does it. It was fairly reasonable to not expect it to be called. But, yes, he was telling her to force the match closer to the net. It was unquestionably a technically correct call. But it was also kinda like an NBA ref calling one minor step traveling on LeBron late in the 4th of game 7. 

The racquet smash is automatic. The third one is the kind of thing that varies by umpire. 

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Well, I'm the guy who thinks you make that call on LeBron so... 

If they called it all the time, I'd be fine with it. It's when it's not enforced ever and then suddenly it's called in a crucial situation. 

Anyway, that kid absolutely kicked Serena's ass in the first set.

I'd be more sympathetic if:

1) The coaching was the third violation called not the first

2) It was called late in the 2nd set not early

3) Serena didn't flat out lie when she said she didn't get coaching

4) The later outbursts didn't seem contrived to try and rattle Osaka 

• Like 2

It's also worth mentioning that Ramos didn't call the violation after Serena's first verbal tirade where she called him a thief.  It wasn't until she walked away, then came back, and did it again, that he called the violation.

• Like 1

In every sport I know extensive arguing against a referee will lead to repurcussions. In every sport I know, insulting a referee will be penalized. I'm amazed that there seems to be a culture of insulting / berating officials in tennis. ((I'm fairly sure well known hotheads like McEnroe and Connors got penalized for their behaviour btw, I might be wrong since it was decades ago))

Quite frankly, I'm amazed as to how Serena tried to justified her behaviour. She is a fantastic athlete, but that doesn't mean she can't do anything wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

In every sport I know extensive arguing against a referee will lead to repurcussions. In every sport I know, insulting a referee will be penalized. I'm amazed that there seems to be a culture of insulting / berating officials in tennis. ((I'm fairly sure well known hotheads like McEnroe and Connors got penalized for their behaviour btw, I might be wrong since it was decades ago))

Quite frankly, I'm amazed as to how Serena tried to justified her behaviour. She is a fantastic athlete, but that doesn't mean she can't do anything wrong. 

McEnroe was once disqualified from the Australian Open for his behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

All I know is when any Black woman ever does something emotional, we get the 'angry n***** b****' line thrown at us. It's happening now, hardly a surprise.

This BS is tired. Anyone using Serena's gender to make fun of her is part of the problem.

Sorry, her gender is fair game here. She used it as a defense - WHILE LYING, REMEMBER - so, in this case, I see no problem with the jokes on this forum. 

• Like 1

I don't expect you or anyone here to get it. While not surprising, it's still sad and frustrating. And it still doesn't address the abuse I mentioned, based both on gender and race.

There are double standards here. There is no consistency with these sort of calls. And until there is, we're going to see this issue.

• Like 1

You linked to a Djokovic video, where he was given a warning after verbally abusing the official. The exact same warning Serena got for verbally abusing the official. Serena's problem was that she had two other warnings against her previous to the verbal abuse warning.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't expect you or anyone here to get it. While not surprising, it's still sad and frustrating. And it still doesn't address the abuse I mentioned, based both on gender and race.

There are double standards here. There is no consistency with these sort of calls. And until there is, we're going to see this issue.

I haven't seen the vile race stuff you mentioned. That's why I specifically referred to this forum only. I "get" the point you're making about her gender. I think you're wrong. Serena used her gender as a defense and also invoked her child. She was LYING. Let's be really, really, really clear on that. She looked right at her coach and he admitted coaching her. For her then to say "how dare you accuse me? I'm a woman and mother!" (slight paraphrase) invites mocking and ridicule. Rightly so. When Rafael Palmeiro pointed his finger at Congress and then lied, he was mocked endlessly afterward. Same concept. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dewar said:

You linked to a Djokovic video, where he was given a warning after verbally abusing the official. The exact same warning Serena got for verbally abusing the official. Serena's problem was that she had two other warnings against her previous to the verbal abuse warning.

Did you go through the thread?

37 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Comparing the Serena situation to Rafael Palmeiro lying about steroids. I'll go punch myself in the uterus now. 

Yeah. They both - literally - pointed a figure at an authority figured while accused of something, denied the something while sanctimoniously lying in their own defense, and then were proven to be lying. Can't imagine why I'd see a parallel there. 

I agree on the not seeing part.

As a Black woman who's dealt with this BS far too many times, I see Serena's POV 100%. If you don't, fine. But let's not pretend that women/women of color are treated fairly in any facet of life. I get shit thrown at me on this board based on gender, and there are zero stakes involved on DVDVR.

If the point is that rules and penalties should be equally enforced on all sexes and ethnicities, we are totally on the same page. But I'm fairly in the "two wrongs don't make a right" club. If Djokovic, Federer, Nadal etc act like S. Williams, they should get penalized. If they accumulate penalties, points should get deducted. Nobody should be above the rules. When I was watching every tournament of ATP and WTA, tantrums were rare and got penalized regularly, so I'm a little shocked to learn they are common and tolerated among ATP players at least. 

I personally find it ridiculous that there is a no-coaching-rule. It is roughly as dumb as "don't take of your shirt after scorinf in soccer." And it's hurtful bs that being a woman or black is in any way seen as a connection to a temper tantrum. Especially with enough fair-skinned male players throwing tantrums in EVERY goddamned sport there is. Maybe I overlooked statements like that in this thread. I was mostly a little sad about how the circumstances took away from Osaka's title win. 

And the shirt rule is monetarily based, i believe: to stop people from baring unapproved/non partner sponsors (like Bentner and his sponsored underwear). Although im sure fifa might try to say its safety related to not incite the crowd, like the "no celebrating with/near the fans" rule. 

The Washington Post take is worthwhile only for the writer's breathless assertion that Serena lost one of her "last bids for all-time greatness" thanks to Ramos. World #1 8 times, 39 Grand Slam titles (23 singles), hundreds of tournament wins, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...