DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

I typed in Williams to start, and it told me I was wrong, so I only entered men's names after that. Got 10 of the 12 men's names. One I never would have gotten, one I felt like a bonehead for forgetting. :)

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

Not realizing it was men and women, I got 12/20 - all the men, though I was sure Goran Ivanisevic had won at least two. 

Just the one and it's in my top three Wimbledon finals, Goran Ivanisevic vs. Pat Rafter (2001). I had an operation the day before and I was cheering for Ivanisevic to win in my drowsy/pained state against Rafter. Shame one had to lose. Goran's the only man to win a Grand Slam singles title as a wildcard. Can't see anyone joining him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having seen the clip of Serena's coach, well, it looks like he was coaching. To my eyes, the warning was deserved and the rest that followed were basically required. Not the first time Serena has had issues with officials in New York. She threatened a line judge in 2009,for example. 

• Like 2

I felt like it was

a) more likely than not she was receiving coaching
b) lineball on the basis of what coaching received and likelihood, that it warranted a violation
c) completely inappropriate of her to carry on beyond that. Demanding an apology; the bizarre rant about being a mother; the deliberate talking into the mic looking for a moment to go viral in a really tone deaf way.
d) game violation was harsh but warranted.

Well, the game violation had to happen. You call the ump a liar and a thief, you're gonna get a code violation. Guaranteed. Since it was her third, well, that's a game. 

• Like 2

Happy for Osaka! 

The ESPN Talking Heads will only blame the Ump and not Serena when clearly she got coaching. I was hoping when Serena kept asking for an apology for the Ump to say I will if you apologize to the line official years ago for threating to shove the ball down their throat. 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not surprisingly,  she played the sexism card. 

How dare you say that about a mother. She's got a daughter*! 

* - but didn't in 2009.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Not surprisingly,  she played the sexism card. Only question was whether it would be that or the racism card. Or maybe both. 

Also, poor Osaka got Roman Reignsed by the crowd. 

I am at the Mets game and there is a gigantic traffic jam and people are still trying to get out of the lot. After reading that: Good, fuck em, they fucking deserve it. Hope their cars explode as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think it was much more the umpire getting booed than Osaka.

Which is just as bad as the umpire was 100% right in this situation.

• Like 2

Serena had the foot-fault against Kim Clijsters in 2009 at the US Open. She was serving 15-30 down 5-6 in the second set. Line judge gave her a foot-fault on her second serve making it 15-40. Serena bugged out on the line judge. No one's quite sure what was said, but the general consensus was something about ramming a ball down her throat. She was given a warning earlier in the match for something (I think smashing her racquet) so she was given a penalty point, thus ending the match since it was now match point. 

Serena also had a tantrum in the finals against Sam Stosur. She screamed "LET'S GO!" in the middle of a point - she smashed a forehand that Sam was going to most likely not return but the rules are the rules. The umpire called a replay of the point (I believe) and Serena bugged. 

It's a shame. I *LOVE* Serena. Watching this was crazy. I watched it at a bar at an Acme supermarket of all places with my wife and two of our friends. My one friend is a huge tennis nerd. My wife and our other friend needed to have the scoring explained to them but love Serena. A few other people at the bar were glued to watching it. A few people shopping saw the match was on the TV at this bar and stopped to watch. It was just proof of how transcendent a person she is.

But it's like... come on. The coaching penalty was pretty ridiculous. That stuff happens all of the time. I'm not sure why they don't allow coaching since they allow it at non-majors. It's one of those things that's utterly harmless unless it results in a delay of game. But it's also one of those things that one of the most dominant athletes of all-time should just be able to shake off. 

It also felt when watching it that it was less of a plea for injustice and more of an angry rant because Naomi was taking her lunch money. She smashed the racquet after she gave back a break (0-game, too) and then went back to that whole coaching thing. 

Most of the Twitter-verse and a lot of players are pissed at the umpire. But I have no idea what the hell he's supposed to do. Serena's demanding that he apologize to her over the speaker (really inappropriate) and then called him a thief (highly inappropriate). She's right that a lot of men say worse, but they should get penalized for that sort of thing if they're not. 

She's such a fascinating player and person. She's the greatest player of all-time but can certainly come undone mentally. She challenges the traditions of tennis in the exact way but also hasn't always been the most gracious in victory or defeat. But no matter what we're so lucky to have had her in our lives. 

• Like 2

Also, Naomi Osaka is GREAT. She's going to be around for a really long time. What a talented player. And she's only 20 and still has a lot to improve - like her short game, which is what Serena's coach was talking to her about. 

I also love when she's asked things about "what does this mean for the nation of Japan?" and the like. She's lived in America since she's been three! She went to grade school in Long Island before moving to Florida for tennis. 

• Like 1

It was funny. Right before the game Greg mentioned, Serena looked like she had taken over. Broke Osaka, hit some impossible shots, etc.

Then suddenly she went double fault, double fault, beat on the serve return, smashed her racquet, and then when she got the point penalty, I think she was honestly surprised that she hadn't talked the umpire out of the coaching penalty.

She got whooped in that next game, then after the game penalty, she put together one more just dominant game, but then Osaka got match serve and it was over.

But it was a meltdown in like three stages.

Osaka beats her idol on the biggest possible stage, but what a terrible way for it to go.

I do think the coaching misconduct was, while technically correct, a bit silly. Coaches get away with WAY more than that all the time in majors.

• Like 1