DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

SERENA RKO OUTTA NOWHERE!

Watson went to that ass, tho.  Aaand Serena was so spent and pissed that she left without signing anything.  I love Serena but she is a shitty winner sometimes.

I need to see this rematch at the US Open. 

Coco Vanderweghe and Madison Keys are also repping well for 'Murica.

1) MURRAY VS. FEDERER! YESSSSSSSSS!!! There's nothing better than when The Big Four go at it, even though it's more The Big Three now since Nadal has crashed. And maybe even The Big 2.5 because Federer hasn't won anything in a while. And maybe even The Big 1 because Novak's put some distance between he and the pack and the other dude is Andy Murray. But I'm downplaying what could be a war.

2) 7 Days In Hell with Andy Samburg and the dude who is in that elf show I don't watch is on HBO Go and debuts on the actual network this week. It's a spoof of HBO documentaries/30 for 30 AND a nod to the insane Isner/Mahut match from five years ago. Can't wait to see it.

Has any athlete dominated another so convincingly as Serena Williams does Maria Sharapova?  To her credit, Masha made the second set mildly compelling, though the outcome wasn't ever in doubt.  But it's been nearly 11 years since Masha has beat Serena, and their matches are usually beatdowns.  It's jaw-dropping.

Sharapova's refusal to even TRY something different against Williams is mind-boggling. You can't overpower her, how about trying some finesse shots, get her running and out of her normal comfort level of pounding shots from the baseline?

Djokovic vs Federer for the men's final on Sunday. Really hoping Roger can pull it off, and get one more grand slam before he retires.

Sharapova's refusal to even TRY something different against Williams is mind-boggling. You can't overpower her, how about trying some finesse shots, get her running and out of her normal comfort level of pounding shots from the baseline?

Maria would rather film another TV commercial than get into the gym and build the strength she needs to beat Serena.

Muguruza has a game that goes well against Serena.  She'll have to remain consistent but her potential is high.

Ultimately, Serena is too much for nearly all the other players.  Azarenka makes her work, but that's about it in terms of someone consistently pushing her.  Even with a shaky serve, she takes the championship.  Had it been better today, Serena would have bounced Mugu 6-2, 6-1.

Richard Williams may be half-crazy, but he 100% made the right choice to pull Venus and Serena from junior tennis.  That's several years of wear/tear they didn't rack up while still in puberty and hurting their bodies, and it's allowing them to play longer pro careers.

I remember when Venus and Serena first joined the pro tour and Martina Hingis was the future and dominant #1. I got curious and googled her and was surprised to find out they're the same fucking age! It's felt like Hingis has been retired for years

Maria would rather film another TV commercial than get into the gym and build the strength she needs to beat Serena.

"get into the gym" and "build the strength"

Sharapova is really attractive and a ton better than Kournikova.

Kournikova topped out at a ranking of 8 and one lone semi-final in a major. She also won a grand total of zero WTA events.

Sharapova has a career grand slam and has won five total. That's the same as Hingis and more than Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati. She's only two major titles behind Venus. She also has won 35 total WTA events and was number one in the world on a few different occasions. She's one of the best women's players of all-time.

Sharapova is really attractive and a ton better than Kournikova.

Kournikova topped out at a ranking of 8 and one lone semi-final in a major. She also won a grand total of zero WTA events.

Sharapova has a career grand slam and has won five total. That's the same as Hingis and more than Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati. She's only two major titles behind Venus. She also has won 35 total WTA events and was number one in the world on a few different occasions. She's one of the best women's players of all-time.

All of this is true, but Serena Williams is on the short list of best female athletes of all time.  That is the difference between the two.  Sharapova is an exceptional athlete and one of the best tennis players of all time.  Serena Williams is one of the best athletes of all time, and an other worldly tennis player.  Serena Williams is a unique, rare, once in a lifetime type of athlete.  She is just on another level physically, and Sharapova cannot compete with her at her best. 

Yeah, I'm not comparing Sharapova to Serena. Serena's making an argument as the best woman's tennis player of all-time and the best female athlete of my lifetime. She's just absolutely amazing. The difference her and everyone else right now is essentially the same gap between Sharapova's career and Kournikova.

Sharapova isn't attractive to me.  Kournikova?  Yes.  Sharapova?  No.

Sharapova was also supposed to be Serena's chief rival, if you listened to some commentators.  She's done fine for herself.  But there was not a Chris-Martina rivalry here, and there was never going to be. People put too much stock into 2004 Wimbledon. She's not in Serena's galaxy, yet it feels like so many still want to make excuses for her--her bad shoulder, she's sick, Serena's 'animalistic' strength and 'masculine' competitiveness. The caping for Sharapova boggles the mind.

But it's because Serena loves syringes and pharmaceutical juice.  Yeah, that's the reason she eats Masha's lunch every time they meet. <_<

Can we call Serena the GOAT yet?

The argument is definitely there. I still think it's Graf, but Serena's building a fantastic resume.

I'm shocked that Venus only has 7 Slam titles. Before little sister started beating her like a drum, and then injuries took their toll, Venus was great.

Canadian television aired a Genie Bouchard for the upcoming Rogers Cup where she makes the claim "My focus is on the court". Uh, if that's were your focus is, you lack focus. Big time.

Serena's playing in World TeamTennis this year for Washington. These are select dates. I'm hoping to see her when her Kastles take on the Philadelphia Freedoms in a few days.

Also: I'm making plans to head to the US Open this year. I've never been. My friend and I are just going to get whatever the general admission pass is called for one of the early days. Tickets to Arthur Ashe on top of the general entrance is essentially a car payment.