DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Doubles tennis means about as much as 3rd division soccer championships.

Serena has definitely been the dominant singles player for ever and ever now though. Seems even with the other good women's players, their form comes and goes where as at the big events (when she's healthy) she wins. Other single digit seeds falling in women's tennis doesn't even make me blink because it's just so, so common. She's the one real exception in this generation. In a sense that is what makes women's tennis interesting in that is is way, way more wide open than on the men's side, but at times it is also what can make it frustrating.

Also, There's the PED elephant in the room with Serena.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. All of women's tennis has a PED problem. Serena still dominates them. It's not like Li Na, Francesca Schiavone and all of Russia are playing clean and Serena's out there looking like McGuire. Bizarrely enough, I think the steroid epidemic in tennis serves to show Serena as more dominant because she would be killing those ladies if they didn't have help.

PEDs or not, it's an honor to watch Serena play tennis. It's not a matter of how many tournaments she has or will have. She hasn't had any real rivals for more than just a little bit at a time because she's that much better than everyone else. The only times she loses is when she gets caught up in her brain or is battling an injury.

I'm hoping to go see her when she does the World Team Tennis thing in Philly. I really can't wait.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. All of women's tennis has a PED problem. Serena still dominates them. It's not like Li Na, Francesca Schiavone and all of Russia are playing clean and Serena's out there looking like McGuire. Bizarrely enough, I think the steroid epidemic in tennis serves to show Serena as more dominant because she would be killing those ladies if they didn't have help.

I guess it depends if you think Martina and Steffi were clean. Martina was likely the first woman player to appear to put an emphasis on training and fitness in that era. But she was also brought up in an era where Eastern European athletes were very dirty. Can you also same for Graf? I love Graf, but i dont think i would wager on her being totally 100% clean.

Feel for Novak becoming only the second player to ever beat Nadal at the French Open to lose the final to Wawrinka and the French Open eludes him collecting the Career Grand Slam for another year.

Bad year for Nadal so far losing matches on the clay, at the French Open, his world ranking dropping at its lowest for a decade and going out in the first round today at the Aegon Championships.

What are you?  A Sharpova apologist? 

Maybe if she quit trying to be a super model and hit the weights, she'd be more of rival for Serena.

I guess it depends if you think Martina and Steffi were clean. Martina was likely the first woman player to appear to put an emphasis on training and fitness in that era. But she was also brought up in an era where Eastern European athletes were very dirty. Can you also same for Graf? I love Graf, but i dont think i would wager on her being totally 100% clean

I can believe that Steffi was 100% clean.  Her career resurgence came about because someone put a steak knife in the shoulder of Monica Seles, not because Graf had to juice in order to win.  I don't think she was on PEDs during her run, either. 

Steffi, just like Martina and Serena, represented the truth that Tennis wanted to ignore; the game was being dominated by athletes who conditioned physical and mental toughness.  Those are the players that are truly serious about winning.  No more dainty tennis princesses.

At some point, tennis fans will have to accept that Serena owns a mansion with acreage in Sharapova's head.  And beachfront property.  And a townhouse, too.  Serena is the Lesnar to Sharapova's Rollins.  Has ol' girl shaking in her sneakers, ready to run off the court in tears.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eugenie Bouchard crashes out in the first round of Wimbledon. She's won FOUR matches in the first six months of 2015, and will be out of the top 20 after Wimbledon finishes. Shocking fall from grace since last year's Wimbledon.

Is it just me or does she look slightly skinnier than when she was actually winning? I wonder if she's one of those people that has got obsessed with fitness training but it's show-off fit instead of match fit now.

EDIT: Also, in her press conference, she says she was playing with a tear in her abs, but wanted to play because it's WImbeldon. A shame :-(