DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

I think Kei Nishikori wins either Australia or the U.S. Open this year. As always, I have no idea how healthy Nadal actually is, which makes it hard to pick him to win.

On the women's side, it's the same old story. Motivated Serena Williams >>>>>>> every other woman. If her head isn't into it though, she will be out early, leaving the field wide open.

A healthy Azarenka is also a big favorite since she loves that Major and no Li Na helps as well since she also played very well at that Major. I hope Sloane or Genie make a deep run again this year or have a breakthrough and win the whole thing.

Thank god for ESPN3.

It's hard for me to get into the Aussie Open just because of the time zone change. But is anyone not rooting for Kei to go far? He's so exciting and a total throwback to the days when tennis success wasn't so serve dependent. I also love Novak to death, but I really want Kei to break through.

My favorite tennis player is Gael Monfils. I love that he's the best athlete in the sport (maybe in its history), has such creativity and imagination and is so entertaining while also being one of sports biggest headcases. He's everything you could possibly hope for in terms of a personality.

Serena's the most underrated athlete in US history. In all sports. She only gets bounced out of tournaments because of injury/fatigue or she has a brain cramp or someone plays the best they can reach. She's dominated tennis for about 15 years.

• Like 1

I'm catching up on Seppi vs. Nick Kyrgios. It's awesome: Seppi's the veteran journeyman who just won the match of his lifetime against Federer. Kyrgios is a brash 19-year-old Australian who is sort of a major dick but also a hometown hero. There are other juxtapositions: Seppi's a very steady, headsy player who doesn't make a lot of errors and hits a lot of clean bally. Kyrgios is exactly what you'd think of when you hear the phrase "brash 19-year-old." He pounds the shit out of the ball but also has a ton of skill as a shotmaker that's quickly becoming refined. It has an awesome atmosphere, since Aussies are nuts, particularly when it comes to hometown sports heroes. Multiple comebacks, drama and a great five-setter between two very evenly matched opponents.

• Like 1