DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

On 9/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, madl said:

No idea of she’s the GOAT. but she’s definitely in the conversation  Honestly, I haven’t seen enough of her matches to compare.  I watched tennis back in the day and saw a fair bit of Graf, Navratilova, etc. but drifted away from tennis sometime in the 90’s.  I find it almost impossible to compare players from different eras anyway.  Graff won 22 grand slams to Serena’s 23, but won them all by age 30.  Does that give her an edge or should Williams get the advantage for winning so many of her titles after age 30?  Dunno.  And I don’t know how to begin to compare the competition of the past 20 years to the level of competition in the 80’s and 90’s.

Anyway, great match.

It's tough to judge. Graf had more titles and possibly better competition. But... at least some of her successful results were the direct outcome of somebody trying to murder Monica Seles. Graf has more wins and a higher winning percentage. 

Williams has more Slams but played fewer titles overall because of her more limited schedule. At her absolute best she's probably the GOAT female tennis player. And we have her getting robbed in the Capriati match to thank for instant replay and challenges. On the other hand, her legacy is tarnished by her threatening a line judge (then lying about it). And also receiving illegal coaching, lying about it, attacking the umpire, and ruining Naomi Osaka's while refusing to apologize for any of it. 

Personally, I can separate the "tarnished legacy" stuff from rankings. Graf is my favorite player ever (along with Agassi) but Williams at get best was better so I'll say she's the GOAT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think you can argue Martina, Graf or Serena for being the best. Then next level for Billie Jean, Evert, Hingis and others. 

I tend to overlook Martina for some reason. Am a big fan of hers, too. She won 167 titles - and then added 177 doubles titles, too. Career grand slam in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles. *31* doubles Slams. Won a doubles Grand Slam in 1984. Won all three titles (singles, doubles, mixed doubles) at the US Open in 1987.

Won her final Grand Slam a few weeks shy of her 50th birthday in mixed doubles at the 2006 US Open. 

All while facing years of vitriol for being gay and coming from a Communist country. 

Incredible. 

Edited by Tabe

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Frances Tiafoe is the first American to reach the US Open semis since 2006 (Roddick). 

USA! USA! USA! 

Tennis is weird. He's got $6m+ in career winnings - and a losing record. 

Fcs06h1XEAEEnPQ?format=jpg&name=small

Roger Federer:

20 Grand Slams.

8 Wimbledon. 5 in a row.

6 Australian Open.

5 US Open.

1 French Open.

Career Grand Slam.

1 Davis Cup.

310 weeks ranked as World Number #1. A record 237 consecutive weeks.

Legend.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

8 days or so into the Australian open and an American is guaranteed a spot in the men's semifinal, which might be the highlight of American men's tennis for the last few years. It's also possible for half of the semifinals field to be made up of players outside of the top 70.

On the women's side, Jessica Pegula is the only hope for the Olympics-esque ESPN2 America-focused coverage.

It's possible way too much of this tournament is on ESPN+ but they figure if you're willing to watch tennis at 4am, you're willing to get their streaming service.

Well, so much for the Americans on the men's side.   Joker straight setted Tommy Paul to make the finals.  He'll be vying for his 10th Aussie.

Somehow, Stefanos Tsitsipas will have to work as the babyface and try to stop him. 

Oh, and to make sure Djokovic is the heel here, his dad attended a pro-Putin/Russia demonstration and was chanting 'Long live the Russians'.  Novak says his actions were 'misinterpreted.'