DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

On 6/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, The Natural said:

Rafael Nadal trying to become the sixth man to win the first three Grand Slams of the year. Novax Djokovic was the last in 2021. Nadal won Wimbledon in 2008 beating Roger Federer in the greatest tennis match of all time to go with the French Open earlier thrashing Roger Federer and the Olympic Gold Medal. In 2010, Nadal won the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open completing the Career Grand Slam with the latter.

Gutted Rafael Nadal's withdrawn from the Wimbledon tournament, he's torn his abdominal muscle. I really felt Rafael Nadal was going to win Wimbledon and one away from the Calendar Grand Slam. I didn't know his Dad and Sister were begging him to quit in the quarter final. Nadal's so tough. Get well soon, Rafa. Nick Kyrgios gets a bye to the final, he'll either play Great Britain's Cameron Norrie or Novax Djokovic.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:47 AM, Cobra Commander said:

A callback to simpler times in Tennis-related entry matters: the incumbent  Australian government got voted out today (the margin right now is 72-50-15 with 14 seats uncalled). So check back in a few months for how Novak still won’t be let back into Australia for 2023.

The issue will be around his immigration paperwork which he falsely completed. That carries an immediate 3 year ban on entering the country.

Given the state has removed vaccine mandates in every other industry, I suspect he'd be otherwise welcome. I'm not convinced Labor have the appetite to let him in, but a lot can happen in 5 months to need a distraction in the press.

I've been a huge Kyrgios fan for years. He's always had this in him.

But I can't support him knowing what he's been charged and accused of. 

It sucks, and tennis has a huge history of sweeping these incidents under the rug (zverev). It also gives the predominantly white racist motherfuckers an opportunity to justify their racist criticisms about him (Cash, McEnroe) when their bullshit has never been about DV. 

Hopefully Teddy Long gets made the GM of Wimbledon and Norrie or Fritz get a last minute reprieve.

7th Wimbledon for Novax in four sets, tying Pete Sampras. Both behind Roger Federer on 8. Djokovic has won 4 Wimbledon titles in a row joining Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg. Federer and Borg on 5.

Edited by The Natural

Really do feel Rafael Nadal would have won Wimbledon for the third time and three out of the four Calendar Grand Slam if he hadn't torn his abdominal muscle in the quarter final so he had to withdraw from the semi-final.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...