DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Nadal in Roland Garros is something entirely different. Not sure if Zverev could have maybe pushed him to the limit, but - as linking park once said - in the end it doesn't even matter. Those numbers are just too impressive. 

Congrats to Rafa. It will be interesting what happens next.

Djokovic is the youngest of the big three and since Corona doesn't seem as much of an issue now, he will probably go for a few more years.

Rafa seems to be picking his spots now. There have been a few occasions where I thought he would hang up the racket, but so far he came back and won tournaments. He's a year older than Djokovic and might still be going a few years. 

Federer is the one who is definitely winding down. Which is OK, he's in his 40ies now. I can see him going for a Wimbledon tourney once more and then calling it a day. 

The big question will be who will fill the void. The two active Grand Slam winners under 30 - Thiem & Medwedew (who as a Russian will now be screwed a bit I guess) maybe? A few unfulfilled promises with "maybe in another era they would have won a few" monikers? 

It's very likely we're still three or more years removed from this, but I'm really curious about the change that is gonna occure. 

Edited by ReiseReise

If Nadal requires surgery in his foot then his career is in jeopardy. He's clearly stated that he doesn't want to keep having injections in his foot to make it onto the court. He could be back at Roland Garros next year winning a 15th. You wouldn't count him out. But it won't get any easier from here on out. There aren't too many players over the age of 35 that have won a Grand Slam. Of the current bunch, Medvedev can win more Grand Slams on the hardcourts if he can keep his head together. Alcaraz is a Roland Garros champion in waiting. Those are the only two I have confidence in right now. At some point, age will catch up with Djokovic. It also remains to be seen how he deals with getting shafted in the world rankings, the fact that he's fallen so far behind Rafa in the Grand Slam race, and if they let him into Australia next year. 

Rafael Nadal already has a statue at the French Open but I'd go further still. Records are meant to be broken but I can't see that happening to Nadal's at the French Open. The dominance and the numbers are really something else.

I read that Tsitsipas lost points and a game because he got mad at "racist remarks". He was called a "little black sheep" and told to "shut up and play"... I have to admit I don't understand where he is coming from, maybe something got lost in translation or I lack knowledge about Greek identity. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, man. Matteo Berrettini - Wimbledon 2021 Men's finalist, Queen's Champion and Stuttgart this year pulls out with Covid-19. Berrettini was a favourite to win, 9-0 on grass in 2022.

Edited by The Natural

Andy Murray and Emma Raducanu knocked out in the second round yesterday. First time Murray ever lost to John Isner.

Today, British wildcard Katie Boulter came from a set down to beat 2021 runner-up Karolina Pliskova, 6th seed this year. Katie revealed she only lost her grandma a few days ago.

Edited by The Natural

Rafael Nadal trying to become the sixth man to win the first three Grand Slams of the year. Novax Djokovic was the last in 2021. Nadal won Wimbledon in 2008 beating Roger Federer in the greatest tennis match of all time to go with the French Open earlier thrashing Roger Federer and the Olympic Gold Medal. In 2010, Nadal won the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open completing the Career Grand Slam with the latter.

• Like 1

I kind of want to see Kyrgios win Wimbledon just to see the tennis establishment lose its mind. 

People used to give Federer crap about how he won the majority of his Grand Slams against a weak field, and once he began being challenged by Djokovic and Nadal, he started losing, but where are the players challenging 35 and 36 year-old Djokovic and Nadal?? At this rate, they're going to succumb to injuries rather than younger players. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, The Natural said:

Rafael Nadal trying to become the sixth man to win the first three Grand Slams of the year. Novax Djokovic was the last in 2021. Nadal won Wimbledon in 2008 beating Roger Federer in the greatest tennis match of all time to go with the French Open earlier thrashing Roger Federer and the Olympic Gold Medal. In 2010, Nadal won the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open completing the Career Grand Slam with the latter.

Gutted Rafael Nadal's withdrawn from the Wimbledon tournament, he's torn his abdominal muscle. I really felt Rafael Nadal was going to win Wimbledon and one away from the Calendar Grand Slam. I didn't know his Dad and Sister were begging him to quit in the quarter final. Nadal's so tough. Get well soon, Rafa. Nick Kyrgios gets a bye to the final, he'll either play Great Britain's Cameron Norrie or Novax Djokovic.