DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

_123056339_gettyimages-1367673716.jpg

Rafael Nadal sealed victory after five hours 24 minutes winning the Australian Open. The second longest Grand Slam final in history, just 30 minutes short of the 2012 final at Melbourne Park when Nadal lost to Djokovic. Previously Nadal had only won three matches from two sets down and the last came at Wimbledon in 2007 against Russia's Mikhail Youzhny.

• Like 1

Rafael Nadal's 21 Grand Slams:

Australian Open: 2 (2009 and 2022).

French Open: 13 (2005-2008, 2010-2014 and 2017-2020).

Wimbledon: 2 (2008 and 2010).

US Open: 4 (2010, 2013, 2017 and 2019).

Edited by The Natural

On 1/31/2022 at 4:20 AM, The Natural said:

Rafael Nadal's 21 Grand Slams:

Australian Open: 2 (2009 and 2022).

French Open: 13 (2005-2008, 2010-2014 and 2017-2020).

Wimbledon: 2 (2008 and 2010).

US Open: 4 (2010, 2013, 2017 and 2019).

to me, they're all "major titles" and a grand slam is winning all 4 in the same calendar year.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The Natural said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60354068

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-60381046

Breaking news this morning, Novax Djokovic speaks out in interview and is willing to miss Tennis tournaments as he refuses to get coronavirus vaccine jab.

Djokovic reiterated to the BBC that he would not defend his Wimbledon and French Open titles, if vaccination was made a prerequisite to play.

This was his exchange with the's BBC's Amol Rajan:

Amol Rajan: Ultimately, are you willing to forego the chance to be the greatest player to ever pick up a racquet, statistically, because you feel so strongly about this jab?

Novak Djokovic: Yes, I do.

Amol Rajan: Is missing the French Open a price you are winning to pay?

Novak Djokovic: Yes, that is a price I am willing to pay.

Amol Rajan: And if it means missing Wimbledon, is that a price you are willing to pay?

Novak Djokovic: Yes.

Amol Rajan: Why Novak? Why?

Novak Djokovic: Because the principles of decision making on my body are more important than any title or anything else. I am trying to be in tune with my body as much as I can possibly can.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60354068

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-60381046

Breaking news this morning, Novax Djokovic speaks out in interview and is willing to miss Tennis tournaments as he refuses to get coronavirus vaccine jab.

52jw1y.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm someone who haaaaates needles but that part of the whole experience can be handled if we're talking non-antivax reasons to oppose a vaccination. Nobody has the guts to tell Novak to just lay low to see what the situation will be in a few months instead of having to step in it every month.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Alex Zverev was booted from the Mexican Open and will probably not be playing tennis for a while after this:

He's already gotten a $20,000 fine and had his $22,500 in prize money taken away.  Further punishment is still possible.  Looked like he actually made contact with the umpire with his racquet so, yeah, probably looking at a decent chunk of time off.

Novak Djokovic will lose his number one ranking to Daniil Medvedev after being knocked out in the quarter-finals of the Dubai Tennis Championships. The tournament was Djokovic's first of 2022 after he was not allowed to compete in the Australian Open because he isn't vaccinated against coronavirus.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Woah. Didn't expect to wake up to that. Thought Ash Barty would have had a crack at the US Open this year so she's won all the Grand Slams. Then again, winning your home one after a 38 year wait can't be topped. Will she stay retired? Some come back while others don't.

Edited by The Natural

I'm hearing whispers that Barty secretly got married - she's engaged at the very least.  It sounds to me like she's accomplished what she wanted to do and is now going to do other stuff, like start a family or whatever.  A comeback wouldn't surprise me.  No comeback also wouldn't surprise me.  Either way, good for her.