DVDVR Message Board

Tennis

GuerrillaMonsoon

Tennis Fans are available for advice on which non-Novak ATP player to back so that the more casual fans don't burn themselves out on the early round matches.

The Australian Open just got their topic for the ESPN commentators to discuss awkwardly for a few weeks. There'll be some more attention for the tournament than there would be without Novak and the discourse is probably suck for most people not deep in the weeds on culture war stuff.

46 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Breaking news, Australian media reporting Novax Djokovic has won his case. I'm not surprised. The crowds will let him have it.

the government can still revoke his visa though

• Like 1

close-curtain.gif
“On one hand, I can claim solidarity with Novak. On the other hand, if they deport him, my chances of winning the tournament increase” - miscellaneous right-wing Tennis chuds on the ATP circuit

Although if recent events are any precedent, don’t rule out Australia either fucking up their second try, or Australia trying to deport the judge and Novak’s attorneys too.

Absolute mess and indicative of the state of politics in Australia. Absolutely zero leadership on any issue, just hoping public sentiment chooses the direction for them, with no regard as to if it is lawful or not. Tin pot dictatorship stuff on all levels. The Lawyer X scandal (for non Australians, the Victorian cops and DA equivalent conspired with a high profile defence lawyer to snitch on her clients in secret and went all the way to our High Court to keep it suppressed, which was rightfully denied as a shocking miscarriage of justice and as a result thrown 100’s of convictions based on that info in doubt, including some of Oz’s most notorious drug traffickers) makes me think this isn’t the last of this matter though. Our politicians (regardless of state or fed, Libs or ALP/Greens) have shown very little worry about wasting taxpayer funds on matters doomed to fail, and I don’t see why they would start now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I read an article last week saying this stuff in Australia is likely a precursor to what might happen in Paris with the French Open and Macron's crackdown on anti-vax people. 

since we're still in a diplomatic row with France, I thought they said a day or so ago that Novak would be welcome at the French Open?

A friend of mine sent me a few screencaps from a pay walled German newspaper article, I have no idea if those are true... the writers seemingly used a QR Code provided as proof by Djokovic. It was from the Serbian health Institute which led to certificate which said Djokovic's test was negative (which would mean he wasn't immunized). About 90 minutes later, the same certificate showed a positive test result...it's so stupid that it has to be a joke, but I'd still like to bring it up. 

Edited by ReiseReise

on one hand, Novak either got Covid in December and was irresponsible afterwards or he got a favor from friends in the Serbian government to invent a positive test to get out of a vaccination.

on the other hand, I'm not exactly shedding tears for the Australian government if they were this sloppy with the situation. One person's technicality is very important to other people and at the risk of being a little naive about these things, I'd hope that governments at least follow their own rules and if judges smack them down for not following the rules, then that's better than just looking the other way and letting governments do whatever they want.

Novak's probably the first 'good' tennis villain in awhile right now, isn't he? most of the tennis villains in recent years that aren't line judges are either one match situations where the opponent of a crowd favorite gets booed or a situation where the crowd doesn't cover themselves in glory (Serena at Indian Wells). But it's been awhile since there has been a John McEnroe or someone that is hateable enough to boo.

Tennis is more of a "pick your favorite and cheer him/her" game than "boo the other person" game and honestly, a little bit of emotion isn't bad and there'll likely be more people watching a "with Novak" tournament than a "without Novak" tournament.

Unless you're Serbian or an antivaxxer, Novak is the heel that'll probably build heat by squashing some guys and then he'll face someone that's really good and we'll see what happens. It's probably not good in the public health sense but it's 'good for business'

Kyrgios has been more of a heel among Australians but I think a lot of the heat on Kyrgios is about wasting potential through various behavior as opposed to anything else

Naming Tennis' top heel is usually sorta like naming the best US ATP player and being disappointed when you find out it's still John Isner (right now Taylor Fritz is ahead of Isner)

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Novak's probably the first 'good' tennis villain in awhile right now, isn't he? most of the tennis villains in recent years that aren't line judges are either one match situations where the opponent of a crowd favorite gets booed or a situation where the crowd doesn't cover themselves in glory (Serena at Indian Wells). But it's been awhile since there has been a John McEnroe or someone that is hateable enough to boo.

It's fitting that Goran Ivanisevic is Djokovic's current coach. That Boris Becker (who might not have been a "heel" during his active time, but damn, he said did A LOT of stupid things after his retirement) is a former coach as well only helps matters.

Novak Djokovic has admitted breaching isolation rules after testing positive for Covid-19 last month, describing it as an "error of judgement".

In an Instagram post on Wednesday, the Serbian admitted meeting a journalist for an interview two days after he tested positive on 16 December.

"I accept that I should have rescheduled," he wrote.

His activity has been scrutinised as the Australian government considers whether to deport him.

In the post, he also blamed his agent for making a mistake on the travel form he used to enter Australia. His comments have prompted a new investigation from officials.

Djokovic, who is unvaccinated, is hoping to defend his Australian Open title next week. He had his visa revoked on 6 January shortly after he arrived in the country amid questions over the vaccine exemption that would have permitted him to enter.

On Monday, however, a judge dramatically overturned the decision and ordered the release of the player from detention.

But the government has not ruled out further action - and the possibility remains that the country's immigration minister could cancel his visa for a second time just days before the tournament begins.

"I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L'Equipe interview as I didn't want to let the journalist down," Djokovic wrote in the Instagram post. "[I ensured] I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken."

He said other reports about him appearing in public following his positive test on 16 December were "misinformation".

Djokovic, meanwhile, also admitted making a false declaration on his travel form prior to entering Australia.

He said his agent had made a mistake when filling in a section of the form that covered his recent travel history. The form stated that he had not travelled in the 14 days before his arrival in Australia.

But recent reports suggest the 34-year-old had travelled to Serbia and then to Spain prior to the trip.

"My agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box," he wrote. "This was a human error and certainly not deliberate."

"My team has provided additional information to the Australian government to clarify this matter," he added.

Australia's Border Force, the nation's immigration officials, said on Tuesday they were investigating whether he had made a "false declaration" - which would be grounds for a visa cancellation.

This year's Australian Open begins on 17 January and if Djokovic wins, he will become the most successful men's player in history.

The men's professional tennis tour has called for more clarity of the rules to enter Australia and urged players to get vaccinated.

"The series of events leading to Monday's court hearing have been damaging on all fronts, including for Novak's well-being and preparation for the Australian Open," the ATP said.

Bbc.co.uk.

Hell of an error.

Edited by The Natural

I'm finally seeing the long game here, and so is Novak probably.  If he gets booted here, it's probably going to be a *lot* easier to ban him from future events.  

Serbia not being part of the EU probably means he's going to need a vaccine to get into Paris.  Same for London.  

Fingers crossed, we're mostly past this fucking pandemic by the late summer, but there's no guarantee that international travel restrictions to New York will be lifted by August.  

And if they all say, you can't come to our country until you're vaccinated, well, that's 4 less chances for him to break his coveted record and he's only getting older.  So that's probably why he went ahead and admitted he left the country while he was supposed to be isolating AND did an interview AND a kids awards show.  

Guessing the decision is coming in the next 24 hours or so.  The Aussie draw is tomorrow. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, Cleavy said:

9x9qzg.gif

boot him, I say!

Reports coming in the past few minutes saying Novak Djokovic's visa is cancelled by the country's immigration minister. Right call.

Edited by The Natural