DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-12-15

MGFanJay

People running the show are aware they're supposed to be putting over their talent, right?

Not the shit that JBL does, right?

The whole Ascension thing is bass-ackwards. Why is the face announcer/voice of reason putting them over and giving them the benefit of the doubt and the over the top, loud mouth heel shitting on them? We're not supposed to be agreeing with JBL.

• Like 1

I saw that fucking Reigns promo and felt ill.  I wish I was exaggerating when I say that, but it was just too damn painful.  I couldn't even look at the TV, it was that bad.  I just wished it would end soon.  And it's maddening because he's so cool in real life apparently, why would Vince do that to him?  His Macho Man impersonation was the absolute best though.

20 minutes later I wasn't feeling much better, so I just watched Macho Man promos.  That guy was untouchable!  I felt instantly better and tried Raw again.  The show itself was a chore to watch, but the ending segment was awesome.  When Heyman speaks it can be hypnotizing to watch.  No wonder people bought into him in ECW the way he did.  And the Macho Man video was greatness.  It's been long overdue, and it's a shame it happened after his death.  But I'm glad to see him finally get in.

JBL to ignalage something they don't really ignalage.

I'm not an Internet Grammar Nazi but wow is this amazing.

It's actually a Cajun phrase, meaning "to grasp."

So apparently Vince's revenge on putting Randy Savage in the Hall of Fame is having the one wrestler Savage probably hated the most be the one who inducts him.

According to Hulk he and Savage were buddies again before Macho died.

Hulk also wrestled the Undertaker in 1974 and drew 200,000 to the Budokan each time he worked there. Just saying.

• Like 3

People really going to let their jaded wrestling fan cynicism get in the way of realizing if Savage and Miss Elizabeth were still alive, we'd have a motherfucking The Mega Powers reunion?

The show sucked but come on. There is a lot more to gripe about than Hogan on the show.

Yes! This! A hundred thousand billion fucking times! How in the hell do you fuck this up!?!?!?!? Jesus Christ! Sure, he would have to defend in the three way at the Rumble, but its a pro wrestling trope that keeping a title is easier than winning one.

Nah - triple threat matches are pretty much regarded as unfair to whoever is holding the belt, and he already has the shot, so why blow his extra opportunity early and cash in? Main event angle was fine (and made Rollins look like a star for once instead of a lackey), show in general sucked but for the usual reasons and not because Rollins didn't cash in.

They weren't even subtle about it since they had both Heyman and Rollins point out that Brock didn't even have to be pinned to lose.  Why would Seth want to put himself into that position with no "plan B", when as is, he has two shots to walk out of the Rumble as champ.

In addition to curb stomping Brock and Cena, they did a really good job of building Seth up in the confrontation with Brock backstage.  Not only did he not back down from Brock, he stood up to him to the point where Brock was the one that backed away.  They've really done an amazing job with Seth, it's hard to imagine the same company is screwing up Reigns and would have screwed up Ambrose if he wasn't so teflon.

Man, I re-watched the Reigns stuff and...man...if ever there were a time for someone to step up and tell Vince he is fucking insane and is ruining someone, this is it. The motherfucker was there front and center for wrestling's biggest boom period and not one fucking person who made the company money cut a promo like that. Not Austin, not the Rock, not HHH, not Foley, etc.

Shit, not even Cena at his corniest cut promos like this.

People really going to let their jaded wrestling fan cynicism get in the way of realizing if Savage and Miss Elizabeth were still alive, we'd have a motherfucking The Mega Powers reunion?

The show sucked but come on. There is a lot more to gripe about than Hogan on the show.

If Savage was alive, would he be getting inducted now?

"According to Hulk..."

I think I may have spotted the subtle flaw in that argument.

Lanny confirmed it.

Because Lanny Poffo is a credible source as well.

Ok, that's not fair, he could be, but its not like Lanny doesn't have a rep for being less than accurate with the fact.

I caught bits and pieces of the show. I LMAO when Cena no sold the Cesaro swing into the barricade by countering the very next move. Was it just me or was there a whole lot of heels popping up after taking moves even before the faces were up? Paige can't kick out of a roll up with an 80lb woman pinning her; fuck off with that. Reigns seems to be improving in the ring, and getting more comfortable on the mic, but that material my god the horror.

The faces got some sweet revenge on Cena tonight watching him get beat 10 on 1.

TBF, Lanny doesn't have a reason to lie about something like that anymore.

Getting back to the show, I'm digging the hell out of Rollins' act. He's come into his own as a dirtbag heel who connives like crazy yet brings the goods in-ring as well. Also loved that he was standing tall after laying out Cena AND Brock. I don't get people bitching that he didn't cash in... heavy is the head that wears the crown, after all. He can go into the match knowing that even if he doesn't win, he can still cash in afterwards.

I really, REALLY wish they didn't keep piling the heat on Stephie like this... there's no way anyone without a set of boobs can credibly get their heat back on her without resorting to some heinous act that would bring every womens' watchdog group raining down on them.

"According to Hulk..."

I think I may have spotted the subtle flaw in that argument.

Lanny confirmed it.

Because Lanny Poffo is a credible source as well.

Ok, that's not fair, he could be, but its not like Lanny doesn't have a rep for being less than accurate with the fact.

Because why would the man's brother not know. 

TBF, Lanny doesn't have a reason to lie about something like that anymore.

Getting back to the show, I'm digging the hell out of Rollins' act. He's come into his own as a dirtbag heel who connives like crazy yet brings the goods in-ring as well. Also loved that he was standing tall after laying out Cena AND Brock. I don't get people bitching that he didn't cash in... heavy is the head that wears the crown, after all. He can go into the match knowing that even if he doesn't win, he can still cash in afterwards.

I really, REALLY wish they didn't keep piling the heat on Stephie like this... there's no way anyone without a set of boobs can credibly get their heat back on her without resorting to some heinous act that would bring every womens' watchdog group raining down on them.

I also thought you can't cash in on someone unconscious. 

Man, I re-watched the Reigns stuff and...man...if ever there were a time for someone to step up and tell Vince he is fucking insane and is ruining someone, this is it. The motherfucker was there front and center for wrestling's biggest boom period and not one fucking person who made the company money cut a promo like that. Not Austin, not the Rock, not HHH, not Foley, etc.

Shit, not even Cena at his corniest cut promos like this.

I'm actually surprised people didn't seem to mind the Dean Ambrose backstage skits, especially the Jim Duggan-Stephanie part. That was awful.

There's no way Vince didn't write that one.

And JBL saying the guys facing The Ascension "don't even deserve to be in a damn WWE ring" ... why should I fucking care, then? Jesus. 

The entire point is the Ascension are claiming to be so great, but facing a bunch of jobbers instead of real tag teams like the Dusts and Usos.

Okay....... But they aren't doing anything different than those teams. 90% of the matches those guys had in WWF were squashes....just like that.

The difference is that those teams are over. The fact that they aren't isn't there fault. Their gimmick is that their gimmick sucks. 

• Like 1

And JBL saying the guys facing The Ascension "don't even deserve to be in a damn WWE ring" ... why should I fucking care, then? Jesus. 

The entire point is the Ascension are claiming to be so great, but facing a bunch of jobbers instead of real tag teams like the Dusts and Usos.

I get the point, but the presentation can be different. WWE has done this for years with guys. New guy comes in, get paired with jobbers and nobodies for a bit, dominate, and then move on to real challenges. The commentators can easily put over the fact of how strong the new team is and how they are simply sending a message to the WWE tag teams. The commentators can talk about the long title reign in NXT and how the team was THE TEAM in NXT and pimp the fact that they already have wins against The Usos and the former WWE tag team champions The Miz and Damien Mizdow. The commentators jobbing those guys out on commentary is pretty damning as people like to repeat what the commentators say and take it from there. Look at the team's Facebook page WWE created last week (?). It's like JBL and the team made 3,000 accounts just to troll the guys.

For the record: I think they completely suck and I am not a fan.

Everything you just said would defeat the point of the current angle.

Okay....... But they aren't doing anything different than those teams. 90% of the matches those guys had in WWF were squashes....just like that.

The difference is that those teams are over. The fact that they aren't isn't there fault. Their gimmick is that their gimmick sucks. 

I doubt many people honestly remember that fact. And honestly their gimmick is fine. Ascension just really aren't very good or charismatic.

Something else I just remembered: with the Pelicans dead last in the division and the Saints not even making the playoffs this year, who the fuck thought Show name-checking the KNICKS would get the crowd worked up?

• Like 2