DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 59: McGregor vs. Siver (1/18/2015) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

I don't have now far Gillette Stadium is to the Garden but even if the game end at 9:00 the idea you are going to haul ass for 3 or 4 fights is nuts. Especially given the prices of UFC shows lately. Especially if my team lost. But maybe I am wrong and there is a strong crowd of non Pats fans in the area

I believe Simmons has said Gillette is like 45+ minutes from the city and that's under the best of situations and not game day/night.

Millions of people live in those areas. Everyone isn't going to the game. This isn't like when Glover fought in Belo Horizonte during a big local soccer game across town.

I'm not really sure I understand your point. I understand millions live in the greater Boston area but the question what was brought up was someone going from the game to the fights.

My point is does it really matter? The crossover isn't that insane.

When Teixeira fought Bader in Belo Horizonte (MG), they ended up with only 5,000 people in 20,000 seater because there was a big soccer game going on. MMA has a solid following in in the city and Glover was a hometown guy, but they were going against basically a religion. In the U.S., it's very different as a good portion of MMA fans are not "sports" fans.

My question: Where has this been for the last year or so for the main Fox shows? If people don't watch the show, let it be because they just don't want to watch the show. Not because you had no advertising for it or the lack of trying to promote it.

• Like 2

My guess is this show gets promoted that way because one No NFL going against it and two: the Conor Hype Train hoping to get people to watch him on free TV then turn those people into Eyeballs/Buys for his title shot against Aldo just my two cents. No back to the NFL thread to talk about my Packers I will be available during halftime if you want to talk about it further.

My question: Where has this been for the last year or so for the main Fox shows? If people don't watch the show, let it be because they just don't want to watch the show. Not because you had no advertising for it or the lack of trying to promote it.

Not sure how such decisions are made or what goes on behind closed doors.  Maybe FOX TV has only so much of an advertising budget they are willing to commit to the UFC.  Not sure why they don't pimp it more during those games, but it's a good question.  

I told you Matsuda-Sanchez and Soriano-Rosa would be good. Bittersweet seeing that Rosa pulled through but Soriano is probably gonna get a pink slip for being 0-3 in the UFC. He could easily beat some of the dudes on the FW roster, but he had a terrible draw as far as opponents. Kawajiri was too good at wrestling, Skelly was too gritty, and Rosa had awesome cardio. He will probably resurface in WSOF or a Florida org before getting another shot.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll see myself out, I guess I'm the only one that finds that disgusting that they're using it as a promotional tool to push an interview with him. I'll watch tonight's card without coming back in here. :mellow:

You want to talk about jinx? John Howard was getting hyped at his gym and said Lorenz wasn't gonna knocked him out on one of the Embedded episodes. And if he did, he would give him props. Well, you better start handing out them props!

• Like 1